2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
I think GWS will take Mac Andrew so I'm not concerned, but if they have a change of heart then I would probably take Gibcus & rejig my strategy a little. The value of Dean & Schlensog allows for a midfield focus but if Gibcus is our selection then I think we could start to pick off the midfielders & forwards.

9. Gibcus
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. MacDonald
32. Murley / Fejo Jnr.

I think that is a similar composition to a list including Rachele, Dean/Schlensog & Sinn/Wanganeed-Milera.
GWS around Andrews house this week will be at gws next year if they don’t take him SAINTS will take him with there first pick they don’t want that

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
GWS around Andrews house this week will be at gws next year if they don’t take him SAINTS will take him with there first pick they don’t want that
Good news, I think we can safely lock in a gun mid now. Next is what to do with pick 17, still firming on Zac Taylor, I'm struggling for reasons not to pick him and that's the stage I'm at with all the players during these final assessments. Liking Butler a lot but he just gets shaded on the disposal front.

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Taylor

Still racking my brain about the next move, if no trades available then having the block of three not the end of the world, at least we've bedded down two mids. From my experience these picks have the highest success rate with multi position players & the two standouts are Howe & Murley. I think I'm firming on these two as there's a pretty good chance they will be around the mark.

30. Howes
31. Murley

With this last pick we can roll the dice on a tall, not sure which one and whether or not we should grab a junk pick and buy into next year's draft. I suppose if we intend on grabbing Schlensog then this might be the way to go.

Reactions: 1 users

Stan

Tiger Cub
Nov 4, 2014
Anyone compared to Butters gets a thumbs up. I like that Butler has been compared to him as well.

Ward/Hobbs/Johnson, Sonsie/JVR/NWM, and a mix of Taylor, Butler, Wilmot, Roberrts, Long, WIlliams,
I think George will have a new table tennis partner with a similar name next year.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good news, I think we can safely lock in a gun mid now. Next is what to do with pick 17, still firming on Zac Taylor, I'm struggling for reasons not to pick him and that's the stage I'm at with all the players during these final assessments. Liking Butler a lot but he just gets shaded on the disposal front.

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Taylor

Still racking my brain about the next move, if no trades available then having the block of three not the end of the world, at least we've bedded down two mids. From my experience these picks have the highest success rate with multi position players & the two standouts are Howe & Murley. I think I'm firming on these two as there's a pretty good chance they will be around the mark.

30. Howes
31. Murley

With this last pick we can roll the dice on a tall, not sure which one and whether or not we should grab a junk pick and buy into next year's draft. I suppose if we intend on grabbing Schlensog then this might be the way to go.

Would you not take MacDonald? I reckon he seems like a gun inside mid, in the mould of a Luke Parker.

We could sort our midfield out for the next 10 years with this draft.

9 - Hobbs / Ward / Johnson
17 - Taylor / Sinn / Sonsie / Butler
26/27/28 (will drop back a few spots) - MacDonald / Murley / Howes

I'd love to trade one of those 20's picks a bit higher, maybe trade up to the Dogs, North, Geelong etc. I really like MacDonald, so would trade 2 of those 20's picks for the higher 20's pick and a pick in the 40's and then hope a one of those quick small forwards are still available, Clarke, Curtis, Lohmann, Warner, or even Lord who could play in the forward line IMO.

If we came out of this draft with any mix in the 1st 2 picks above, then add MacDonald, Murley and a later pick, then we should be stoked.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Would you not take MacDonald? I reckon he seems like a gun inside mid, in the mould of a Luke Parker.

We could sort our midfield out for the next 10 years with this draft.

9 - Hobbs / Ward / Johnson
17 - Taylor / Sinn / Sonsie / Butler
26/27/28 (will drop back a few spots) - MacDonald / Murley / Howes

I'd love to trade one of those 20's picks a bit higher, maybe trade up to the Dogs, North, Geelong etc. I really like MacDonald, so would trade 2 of those 20's picks for the higher 20's pick and a pick in the 40's and then hope a one of those quick small forwards are still available, Clarke, Curtis, Lohmann, Warner, or even Lord who could play in the forward line IMO.

If we came out of this draft with any mix in the 1st 2 picks above, then add MacDonald, Murley and a later pick, then we should be stoked.
Do we only have 5 list spots? The DFA window opens next week so we may only have 4 if these rumours of Schlensog are true. I don't mind picking him up to be honest, he was in the WAFL team of the week on a regular basis, he could be a very astute selection.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Very confident Hobbs will be a Richmond player. Both Andrew and Gibcus will be taken early.

Pick 1 - Horne
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Gibcus
Pick 6 - Rachelle
Pick 7 - Ward
Pick 8 - Amiss/Erasmus
Pick 9 - Hobbs

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The smoke has been there for about six weeks. It’s one of the dominoes we need to fall. Gibcus to GCS hasn’t been as strong mail wise, in fact GCS have barely been linked to anyone. But it’s still the best fit.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
I'd be very happy with Hobbs or Ward with our 1st pick @ 9. Being able to get one of these guys to assist with our greatest need without trading up in the draft just allows us to go nuts with the remainder of our picks.

Reactions: 6 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Do we only have 5 list spots? The DFA window opens next week so we may only have 4 if these rumours of Schlensog are true. I don't mind picking him up to be honest, he was in the WAFL team of the week on a regular basis, he could be a very astute selection.
According to this we have 29 snr + 6 rookies (incl 1 Cat B), last yr we had 44 in total (35 snr, 8 R + 1 Cat B)

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I'd be very happy with Hobbs or Ward with our 1st pick @ 9. Being able to get one of these guys to assist with our greatest need without trading up in the draft just allows us to go nuts with the remainder of our picks.
If we can get one of these 2 then we can go for the high risk / high reward type at pick 15.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Taylor

30. Howes
31. Murley

Im not too fussed about our 3 later picks and actually excited bout what gems that will be available late. Specially with the very little football in vic last 2 years if our boys have done their home work will have the players thay would want at these selections.

From what i have read it appears that Schlensog is available as a dfa and that could allow us to trade out 1 of the 3 picks into 2022

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Very confident Hobbs will be a Richmond player. Both Andrew and Gibcus will be taken early.

Pick 1 - Horne
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Gibcus
Pick 6 - Rachelle
Pick 7 - Ward
Pick 8 - Amiss/Erasmus
Pick 9 - Hobbs
Callaghan ?

• Haha

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Im not too fussed about our 3 later picks and actually excited bout what gems that will be available late. Specially with the very little football in vic last 2 years if our boys have done their home work will have the players thay would want at these selections.

From what i have read it appears that Schlensog is available as a dfa and that could allow us to trade out 1 of the 3 picks into 2022
It's a good strategy, he's a value bet too, a bit of reverse Chol, I would like to get one over the Cats. I do know he works hard on the fitness, there's a touch of Dennis Rodman about him so he might need some baby sitting, but athletically he's prototype, basketball background which usually translates well to AFL.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
It's a good strategy, he's a value bet too, a bit of reverse Chol, I would like to get one over the Cats. I do know he works hard on the fitness, there's a touch of Dennis Rodman about him so he might need some baby sitting, but athletically he's prototype, basketball background which usually translates well to AFL.
Athletically he is perfect and the size is amazing 199cm 100kgs

If what has ben reported is true and it is between Richmond/Geelong
He would be mad to want back to the cats with scott still at the helm and Scarlett (who was his biggest fan) no longer there

Definitely worth a look

Feb 25, 2007

Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Mac Andrew could be drafted as high as the top two, where the Demons wouldn’t be able to match a bid.
A mobile ruckman who moves like a midfielder and can also play in the key posts, the Dandenong Stingrays product may be the bolter of the draft.

The rules have been tweaked so that NGA bids inside the first 20 selections can’t be matched.
From next year, clubs will not be able to match inside the first 40 picks.

“There’s a lot of clubs with top ten picks who are looking at Mac Andrew, including the Giants at pick two.”

Former Fremantle midfielder Paul Hasleby says the Dockers, equipped with picks 6 and 8 in the national draft, have their sights set on the 18-year-old.

“A friend of mine keeps telling me that Fremantle are showing a lot of interest in this kid,” he chipped in.

Twomey responded “He’s no certainty to still be on the board when Fremantle pick, but as a key forward and ruckman he’s certainly in that bracket.

Feb 25, 2007

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Taylor

30. Howes
31. Murley

Bully you know if we happen to get another top 10 pick it would be great but if we don't I'm not fazed, this draft is brimming with talent right into the 30's and I'm quietly confident we'll land some top talent for picks 26/27/28

On Murley, he has excellent acceleration and importantly can win his own ball. I like that he has different gears that he can go to.
For those wanting to see some highlights, here's a few vids, enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007
30. Howes
31. Murley

With your last pick, I'm thinking more of a key back, bazzo/dean/Alleer. You got the midfield covered or would you go another mid like MacDonald/Knevitt/Long/Roberts/Sheldrick to name a few.

Murly and Taylor can also play small forward so I guess no need to pick another like Ronald Fejo Jnr/ Jesse Motlop/Judson Clarke

Blake Howes

Height 190cm
Weight79kg
Current Team Sandringham Dragons
Birthday April 7, 2003

POSITION: Medium Forward/Wing

SNAPSHOT: “A highly athletic forward with the capacity to play through further afield, Howes catches the eye with his highlight reel moments in the forward half.”

As an AFL Academy member, Vic Metro representative and Sandringham Dragons product, Blake Howes was able to impact across every level of football he played in 2021, showing off his impressive athleticism when given the opportunity. The 190cm talent was mostly played as a half-forward for the year, but was gradually afforded more opportunities up on the wing as the season went on, suggesting there is a fair amount of development left for him in that area of the ground. Having enjoyed his venture up the field, Howes is a prospect who can count himself particularly unlucky as the Victorian season was cut short just as he found his best form.

STRENGTHS:
+ Vertical Leap
+ Overhead Marking
+ Clean Hands
+ Athleticism
+ Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:
– Consistency
– Contested Game

Coming into 2021 as one to watch after an All Australian Under 16s carnival and inclusion in the AFL Academy squad, Howes was impressive with his leap and marking in the forward half the ground. As the year went on, he was given more opportunities further up the ground, looking like a natural on the wing as a link-up player who could effectively hit the scoreboard from the midfield as well.

When playing on the wing, Howes positions well around the ground to be a viable marking option for his teammates, making him dangerous in transition as he could clunk the ball and quickly move it forward. Whilst Howes can take a contested mark without much trouble, he can continue to work on being more effective at ground level. He is competitive and usually shows a clean set of hands, but is moreso an aerial force at the moment.

Should he look to spend more time around the ball in future, developing that ground level game and getting more involved at the contest – rather than being the release option – will hold him in good stead to impact more consistently. As a prospect with x-factor, Howes can also fade in and out of games at times, especially when playing forward, but can even out the troughs to his peaks with time in a professional system.

Despite often feeding off the contested work of others, Howes works well when in traffic – able to keep his hands free in congestion and handball well, making the best decision more often than not. The biggest strength of Howes’ game is his vertical leap, as he is regularly able to get higher in the air than taller opponents which allows him to take his marks easier. At times, this sees him play as a forward target due to his aerial ability.

At the next level, he looms as a handy third tall option or developable outside type. Much of his versatile quality comes through his athleticism, with the springy leap helping his forward craft and a speed-endurance mix boding well for midfield minutes. He showcased his running capacity with a 6:08 2km time in October, and has all the athletic upside which recruiters look for.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Second Round

SUMMARY:

Howes will likely be a pick made on upside, with his array of developable traits and continued rate of development all very promising. His athleticism is high-level across the board, but he was also able to show his footballing nous with increasing success throughout the season. Versatility is another big tick for Howes, who can be moulded into a few different roles and has a high ceiling in terms of what he could become in an elite environment. He looks set to be taken somewhere within the second round and could push into top 25 contention.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Provisional Top 50 (rankings)

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Josh Ward
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Rachele
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Josh Goater

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasmus
14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Arlo Draper
20. Campbell Chesser

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition.

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Darcy Wilmot
23. Blake Howes
24. Michito Owens
25. Josh Fahey
26. Mitch Knevitt
27. Tom Brown
28. Connor MacDonald
29. Toby Conway
30. Cooper Murley

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Ned Long
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts & Long, both of whom can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Constable & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.
Almost thought I was reading Blobbo's top 50 before the season starts :)) Nah. Heap of work gone in there Bully n helps nuffers like me get some sort of perspective on the youngsters n not only whereabouts they're likely to be picked, but also who's got perceived upside or foibles in their overall game. Many thanks.
Appears to be a healthy spread of talented youngsters available throughout the upcoming draft.
All we need to do is pick the right ones n develop them properly, ( what could be simpler ) n we'll be dominating the comp for another ten years:banana