2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Agree guys. From what I've read with the more learned posters on BF, and my own thoughts, reckon he's a very good player - and not a reach. Twomey had him being picked up at around the spot!
Shifter also had him as one of his two rising 1st rounders along with Erasmus in September

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm really concerned about the way this draft has panned out. I hope I'm wrong, clearly.

It's perplexing from a list management perspective. That's three consecutive drafts now without bringing in a contested ball winner. The nearest may have been Dow and Martyn in 2019. Do we think we have the cattle in place for the next 5+ years or are we being belligerent, trusting that our turnover game will magically get the job done again in 2022?

It'd be less concerning if there was more confidence around the young inside mids we have. I'm an RCD fan but not everyone is. I think a lot rests on his shoulders in the next few years. Maybe we have an established midfield bull coming in 2023. I hope so.

The weighting of picks for players behind the ball was odd. I get the 'best available' approach but the secret to getting this right is the point where it intersects with needs. To be clear: I think the Gibcus selection will probably prove to be the right move, even though I'm now pretty certain Hobbs will turn out to be a very good player.

But I can't for the life of me support the Brown pick. It's one thing to say we're drafting an elite-kicking half back flanker to meet the style of the modern game, quite another to then ignore another proven need around winning first / contested possession. You can't have it both ways. Then we doubled down with Banks ... weird!

Furthermore, unless Gibcus or maybe Balta are going to be moved forward of the ball, we haven't addressed another concern—a lack of up-and-coming key forward talent. Heaven help us if Lynch or Riewoldt miss extended games. Is Samson supposed to be the answer? If so, that's a wild overreach at this stage.

Maybe the players we needed were off the board. If so, why not move a pick or two into 2022? Chances are there will be more exposed form and confidence around the 2022 crop.

Given all the uncertainty, I was actually convinced we wouldn't take our five picks to this draft. I think we've played a very dangerous game. It could be a long time before we have a draft hand like this one again.

If we continue to suck at winning clearances and contested ball in 2022, I'll be filthy. Not because we could have drafted an inside mid in 2021 who would have had an immediate and game-changing impact next season, but because it will be another year before we can go back to the well and address this need.

And it could make watching the Tigers in 2022 a very frustrating experience.
A fit Nank n Soldo combination will make a massive difference to our contested ball work. Both play beast footy at the ruck contests n will help create space n opportunity for our mids. Wheels fell off the billy cart this year, but our contested mids were more than capable of dominating during the finals series in 2020. Plus our youngsters have had massively interrupted seasons for two years n the handful of senior games they got this year will be invaluable for their development.

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
We're in the latter camp with Brown.

Off the half back flank we can reasonably play Short, Baker, Stack, Rioli, Vlastuin, Edwards, Mansell or even Broad or Grimes. We even drafted Banks, who plays that role.
Cant agree on this sorry.

We draft all players for 2-3 years out, not next year. Quoting Edwards, Grimes and even Broad isn't right - none of these 3 are around in 2-3 years. Even Flossy will be on his last legs. Stack is young but may not be on anyone's list if he doesnt pull his finger out.

And reckon Baker is wanted in the midfield rotations.
Daniel was an interesting watch this year when moved back but I'm not convinced he's a premiership backman. And anyway, I'm on record saying I'd package him up for a trade. We wont, but either way, he isnt a back 6 in a premiership team.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

“Walls has every reason to be on edge. There’s been rumours all day that Hawthorn, who hold pick seven (after the bids), are trying to do a deal with Richmond, who hold pick nine.

Fremantle hold alternating picks at eight and 10.

Walls said in our interview on the morning of the draft that Hawthorn may be looking to slide down the order with their first round pick.

“Hawthorn are probably thinking they can get the same player at pick nine that they would get at seven, and then they may also get something nice from Richmond in return,” Walls said.

“Richmond are probably thinking they need to get ahead of Fremantle to get the player that we really want. Because they might think that we're a strong chance to pick someone at eight that they’re after at nine.”

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
A future first from hawthorn. Which is likely to be top 3.
Something not right about that deal
Sounds like a Geelong move
Because the reporters dont report the full story and leave out the most important part

The Hawks offer was pick #23 plus a 1st round pick swap with Fremantle not the hawks 1st round plus #23

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I'm really concerned about the way this draft has panned out. I hope I'm wrong, clearly.

It's perplexing from a list management perspective. That's three consecutive drafts now without bringing in a contested ball winner. The nearest may have been Dow and Martyn in 2019. Do we think we have the cattle in place for the next 5+ years or are we being belligerent, trusting that our turnover game will magically get the job done again in 2022?

It'd be less concerning if there was more confidence around the young inside mids we have. I'm an RCD fan but not everyone is. I think a lot rests on his shoulders in the next few years. Maybe we have an established midfield bull coming in 2023. I hope so.

The weighting of picks for players behind the ball was odd. I get the 'best available' approach but the secret to getting this right is the point where it intersects with needs. To be clear: I think the Gibcus selection will probably prove to be the right move, even though I'm now pretty certain Hobbs will turn out to be a very good player.

But I can't for the life of me support the Brown pick. It's one thing to say we're drafting an elite-kicking half back flanker to meet the style of the modern game, quite another to then ignore another proven need around winning first / contested possession. You can't have it both ways. Then we doubled down with Banks ... weird!

Furthermore, unless Gibcus or maybe Balta are going to be moved forward of the ball, we haven't addressed another concern—a lack of up-and-coming key forward talent. Heaven help us if Lynch or Riewoldt miss extended games. Is Samson supposed to be the answer? If so, that's a wild overreach at this stage.

Maybe the players we needed were off the board. If so, why not move a pick or two into 2022? Chances are there will be more exposed form and confidence around the 2022 crop.

Given all the uncertainty, I was actually convinced we wouldn't take our five picks to this draft. I think we've played a very dangerous game. It could be a long time before we have a draft hand like this one again.

If we continue to suck at winning clearances and contested ball in 2022, I'll be filthy. Not because we could have drafted an inside mid in 2021 who would have had an immediate and game-changing impact next season, but because it will be another year before we can go back to the well and address this need.

And it could make watching the Tigers in 2022 a very frustrating experience.
Looking at our draft as a whole i'd say we weren't even keen on Hobbs at all & it was a smokescreen as was Stocker 2 yrs ago. our Draftees all have 1 thing in common, they can all run whereas Hobbs is isn't considered to be quick. It also seems the vast majority of them are decent kicks which Hobbs also isn't overly known for. The Club seems to think the young mids we currently have are going to take their roles in the snr's going fwd.

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I was certain we would pick Johnson as well and hoped we would but Richmond and other clubs must of had a concern about something in his game, he seems to tick all boxes, I can only think it is his intensity.
I'd also take a stab at go home factor. Especially in these times

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Missing on Sonsie the risk but I suspect he would have been there given Hawthorn baulked, my back-up plan was Taylor at 28 but I do think Sonsie's perceived poor attitude had nuked his chances at most clubs in twenties range. As a risk/reward approach I think it was fine. I actually don't think the gulf between Sonsie & Taylor is 16 spots but the acceleration is certainly worth something and we did well to pick him up.

As for the comparisons above, Stewart & Doedee are slightly taller but for game style fairly similar. Some big shoes to fill but if we're talking agility, then Brown is in the same bracket. Doedee finished top 6%, having a basketball background clearly a bonus & these guys continue to make a seamless transition. Don't think Brown is in the ballpark with Vlastuin with his contested work, this will be the make or break factor. I'm feeling a Pittard vibe, I hope he's much more than that and I hope he fills Houli's shoes, even if that's only at 80%.
Just on Sonsie, Clarke said when interviewed post Draft that he lost his way with no Footy etc, now he's at a Club full time that should correct itself, if any Club can turn that around i'd back ours in. Hawks passed on him for that reason so let's hope it bites them on the a$$

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
A fit Nank n Soldo combination will make a massive difference to our contested ball work. Both play beast footy at the ruck contests n will help create space n opportunity for our mids. Wheels fell off the billy cart this year, but our contested mids were more than capable of dominating during the finals series in 2020. Plus our youngsters have had massively interrupted seasons for two years n the handful of senior games they got this year will be invaluable for their development.
This last point IMO makes it impossible to write off Ross/RCD/Martyn/Dow as inside mids, Ross has been played out of position since his 1st yr, where he was going well as an inside mid until he got injured & hasn't been back inside until the final game this yr so hopefully the penny has finally dropped with the selection committee on that one. Dow was out for a bit this yr with illness so it's almost impossible to judge him at this point.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Just regarding Johnson i am now more convinced that Matty Clarke and his team didnt rate Johnson a player we had on our board
there was reports that both Richmond and hawks were trying to get pick #21 from freo and the Hawks certainly were and freo wanted him and rightfully kept their selection for a local boy. But after listening to the podcast i got the impression that we would have selected Sonsie if the trade was done.

Now that might be just talk from Clarke backing the players we selected but sounds like Brown & Sonsie were definitely targets

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Just regarding Johnson i am now more convinced that Matty Clarke and his team didnt rate Johnson a player we had on our board
there was reports that both Richmond and hawks were trying to get pick #21 from freo and the Hawks certainly were and freo wanted him and rightfully kept their selection for a local boy. But after listening to the podcast i got the impression that we would have selected Sonsie if the trade was done.

Now that might be just talk from Clarke backing the players we selected but sounds like Brown & Sonsie were definitely targets
He didn't rate him otherwise he would have gone at 17.

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
I personally think we've done very well. don't think Brown was a reach considering Sydney were prob going to take him the following pick.

also IMO comparing him to the cost of pure running rebounders like Short, Saad, Bonner etc. isn't quite right - from what I understand he's more your medium aerial intercept defender with a hint of rebound... a Vlastuin / Doedee / Stewart / Howe type. Quite happy to pay a late 1st for those myself.

also, it's been mentioned but if we take Johnson we very likely don't get the Sonz at 28.
Nailed it there .. there’s no chance Sonsie would’ve been there at 28

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I hear you,

but I said Chris Johnson.
Chris was drafted as a small forward. I recall this skinny kid who used to attempt 2or 3 hangers a game in his early days at Fitzroy. He only became an elite small defender when he went to Brisbane. Perhaps Brown will become an elite small forward?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
And so begins the inevitable Brown v Johnson debate.

Should get a few years and 400 pages out of this at least !

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And so begins the inevitable Brown v Johnson debate.

Should get a few years and 400 pages out of this at least !

I reckon on this one, we should set some parameters by which to measure success, take a side,

and revisit in 5 years.

save the 398 pages in the middle.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Would be worthwhile to look at the Higgins trade and how that ended up?

Moved from 21 - 17 and got their second round draft pick back that we used for our last pick I believe.

Would be interested to see how people rated this call in the end.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Matt Clarke mentioned Nick Probert was a scout for us in Tassie. He coached multiple premierships at Burnie and worked closely with Mick McGuane when he was there. He is a great get as a scout.

Reactions: 4 users