2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
you cant remember James Manson ? :)

Well.

Greg-Bryan makes him look like Royce Hart.

I stand firmly by the declaration, that I have never seen a VFL/AFL footballer I like watching play less,

than Geelong's current No. 32.

Hes the perfect storm of extreme one sidedness, horrible hooking chip action on his right, tragic little bogan white-man dreads, the Geelong jumper, elite propensity to take a dive, his coach, his CEO, his name.

His only redeeming feature is he doesnt play for Richmond.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I read Ronny was training at Esserdern too.
Ronny is a text book rookie pick, I reckon if you recruit a small forward in the rookie draft every year then you're bound to get a quality core player eventually. Rebounders & small forwards I like to leave for last (generally) & project rucks of course.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I'm glad you mentioned this @bob, as it's one of those things people believe only because it's repeated over and over.

Clubs draft players for a 10-year career. How quickly or slowly they develop is down to the individual and variables such as whether or not there is a spot for them in the senior 22.

Take last year's draft as an example. Will Phillips played 16 games in his first year. Nik Cox played 22. Lachie Jones played 6 and would have played more if not for injury. Max Holmes played 12. Jake Bowey played in a premiership in his first year. Caleb Poulter was excellent on the way to 11 games. I could go on. Gulden. Rowe. Ford. Highmore. Macrae. Powell. McDonald. Thilthorpe.

All first year players, all making an impact within months, not years, of being drafted.

The idea guys sit in the reserves for years is old-style thinking. In fact, when it happens, they tend to want to up and leave for more opportunities. Think Constable, Butler, Atkins, Markov, Hind, CCJ, Dunstan, Brodie, Kreuger, Lipinski, Lynch, Pittonet, Cutler, etc, from the past couple of years.

Looking at the 2021 draft, you can't tell me someone like Greg Clark or Garrett McDonagh was drafted to play in the ressies. You can draft for immediate needs.

And when you're in the premiership window, which history shows can be brief, it's a legitimate option, isn't it?
Hi N8

Wonder if you may have missed my point. Or more likely, I didn't make it well.

Actually, it's something people believe not because it's repeated over and over by the common person, but b/c its stated by those in the business - the recruiters, coaches, assistant coaches. Leppa himself said on SEN this year, you pick an 18 year old kid for how he will be at 21.

That wasn't a post about parking the kids in the VFL vs playing them Year 1 in the big league - its about how they will look with 3 years of pre-seasons, training and growth as a player. That's what I hear when I listen to the recruiters and coaches - that they recruit for the long term and how a kid looks a few years out.

There would not have been one player chosen in the 12-30 range of the draft that is an 'immediate needs' player. And whilst I also have some disappointment we didnt pick pure mids who could supposedly help out straight away (if you believe we are a premiership hope in 2022 which I dont), its clear the club is backing the players picked these last 2-3 years to play there first. I may not rate RCD and others, but the Club must believe it needs to give them a go.

Of course, some kids will play year 1 - especially those in the weaker teams trying to bring on their kids asap and who keep 'tanking' for 1-3 years to get as many top 10 kids as possible.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Put a smile on your face Sonz.
It’s the apparent lack of body conditioning that worries me more.
No definition.
Has been reported that he’s been working hard in the gym so may be in the bulking up phase.
But atm he shares a similar body type to Conca.
And we know how that ended

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Fox Footy
Ben Waterworth
RICHMOND

Picks (at the start of draft): 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 79

Selections: Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

The Tigers nailed a terrific spread of player types with their juicy draft hand. They used their two first-round picks to address their defensive stocks, with Gibcus and Brown both strong intercept players. Although the Tigers could use Gibcus as a forward next year — a prospect some recruiters believe would work well. Sonsie could be anything. On talent alone, the midfielder was arguably a top-five talent in this year’s draft class, but slid due to a lack of continuity in a Covid-interrupted season. If it clicks for him at the Tigers though, he could be a genuine AFL star. Banks gives the Tigers great dash and versatility, while Clarke is a typical Tigers draftee: A small forward that can apply pressure and play a role. Although Clarke has ample tricks and an innate, mercurial goal nous. Big ticks for the Tigers.

Grade: A+

Reactions: 3 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
As a few of you know have a mate involved in the AFL esp in list management at another club .. we had a bit of a chat re the draft .. he thought we had done well except for the Brown Pick Says Brown will be a gun but it unbalances our list and we need another midfielder going forward.He is with Bullis and can't believe we didn't take Johnson. Would have set our mid-field up for the future esp ( Sonsie + Johnson.)
Now we have too many HBFs on the list . He can see one or two wanting to be traded in the next few years . His personal opinion is that Dan Rioli might go to another club . As what happened when we had too many small forwards ( Butler , Higgings ), then too many ruck forwards on the list ( CCJ , Choi)..

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
As a few of you know have a mate involved in the AFL esp in list management at another club .. we had a bit of a chat re the draft .. he thought we had done well except for the Brown Pick Says Brown will be a gun but it unbalances our list and we need another midfielder going forward.He is with Bullis and can't believe we didn't take Johnson. Would have set our mid-field up for the future esp ( Sonsie + Johnson.)
Now we have too many HBFs on the list . He can see one or two wanting to be traded in the next few years . His personal opinion is that Dan Rioli might go to another club . As what happened when we had too many small forwards ( Butler , Higgings ), then too many ruck forwards on the list ( CCJ , Choi)..
Well as someone who posted just a few days ago that we should trade Dan Rioli as part of a package to get a GWS mid like Taranto, I'm glad to read that's what your mate thinks. Dan might even be targeted by the Bombers, wouldnt surprise me. He's not a HBF'er IMO.

I'm not of the opinion we have that many HBF'ers anyway (esp if Stack plays forward /doesnt make it and Baker plays mid rotation), but your mate would know best. Guess the M.Johnson discussion will be a 5 year, 300 pages of posts type discussion. And I rated him too.

I dont agree with many on here saying Brown was not the right pick. However, it was interesting to hear Matt Clarke on TT podcast talk about deliberately seeking versatility in our picks. That worries me a little, as I feel we've 'over shuffled' players this year. Maybe out of desperation given the injuries.

I'm no expert obviously, but still think you pick a player who is elite in their one position rather than seeking all rounders. This is my philosophy with staff too, so prob the only concern I have with Matt Clarke's summary of our draft strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
would you exchange first round 187 HBF'er Nick Vlastuin for anyone in the 2012 draft @bullus_hit ?

I wouldnt. Not even Fatty Wines

Disclosure: I was at that draft and was livid we passed on Grundy and took a 'blue chip HBF', similarly to my initial reaction when we took Tom Brown. I couldn't believe it.

looking at the 2012 draft, it appears to be one of the lightest on talent ever? It reads like Richmonds playing list all through the 90's
It’s funny you don’t even realise how bad that draft was until you look back on it. I just had a quick look and could only find 14 players who are still on a list. I may have overlooked some but that’s bad.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
There no Sonsie if we picked Johnson.. Sonsie would’ve been picked up by Freo

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m far from any expert on new draftees , however after having a perusal over our new Cubs , imho this is the most exciting crop of potentiality ( it’s a word ) we have had since the Martin, Griffiths, DTLD, Taylor etc draft of 09, very easy to see why Gibbo and the Sonz had top 5 talk , I reckon even Dudoro could see their talent , however forgetting my Bushie bias I see a real speciality in Brown , I see a genuine silk, nice foot skills, great turn of foot and what appears to be a very very good talent of reading a ball in flight along with sticky mits , yes he looks like he could play well down back for 200 games , however I see a bit more as a footballer in Brown . Banksy looks like a very good “ foot soldier” and Clarkey has that spark and in your face annoyance we love to hate in opposition forwards and love in our own .

Not that it matters in anyway, however I think we have nailed this rare opportunity to re boot our a triple Premiership list.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I’m far from any expert on new draftees , however after having a perusal over our new Cubs , imho this is the most exciting crop of potentiality ( it’s a word ) we have had since the Martin, Griffiths, DTLD, Taylor etc draft of 09, very easy to see why Gibbo and the Sonz had top 5 talk , I reckon even Dudoro could see their talent , however forgetting my Bushie bias I see a real speciality in Brown , I see a genuine silk, nice foot skills, great turn of foot and what appears to be a very very good talent of reading a ball in flight along with sticky mits , yes he looks like he could play well down back for 200 games , however I see a bit more as a footballer in Brown . Banksy looks like a very good “ foot soldier” and Clarkey has that spark and in your face annoyance we love to hate in opposition forwards and love in our own .

Not that it matters in anyway, however I think we have nailed this rare opportunity to re boot our a triple Premiership list.
(Sounds like someone broke 90 today.….)

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Well as someone who posted just a few days ago that we should trade Dan Rioli as part of a package to get a GWS mid like Taranto, I'm glad to read that's what your mate thinks. Dan might even be targeted by the Bombers, wouldnt surprise me. He's not a HBF'er IMO.

I'm not of the opinion we have that many HBF'ers anyway (esp if Stack plays forward /doesnt make it and Baker plays mid rotation), but your mate would know best. Guess the M.Johnson discussion will be a 5 year, 300 pages of posts type discussion. And I rated him too.

I dont agree with many on here saying Brown was not the right pick. However, it was interesting to hear Matt Clarke on TT podcast talk about deliberately seeking versatility in our picks. That worries me a little, as I feel we've 'over shuffled' players this year. Maybe out of desperation given the injuries.

I'm no expert obviously, but still think you pick a player who is elite in their one position rather than seeking all rounders. This is my philosophy with staff too, so prob the only concern I have with Matt Clarke's summary of our draft strategy.
Daniel Rioli will be a free agent end of 2022 i believe so we would have to match then trade if that was to happen

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Daniel Rioli will be a free agent end of 2022 i believe so we would have to match then trade if that was to happen
Thx Turk, good point. I had forgotten he only signed for a year.
Even more convinced the Bombers and others will make a play if it costs them nothing apart from cap space.

Reactions: 1 user