2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Went onto the Geelong board on bf to get a gauge on whom they wanted for their 3 mid thirties picks as they would be trying to nab draftees from mid 20s, and wanted to see whom they value that might be good for Tigers,but he'll could not find any talk on draftees,all on trades and nothing about the draft,sums up their direction really.

Reactions: 1 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
IMO even if we stay with 7 we go a mid. Clarke hinted at it on the "road to Draft" podcast. Gibcus may not be there regardless, GWS already have too many mids so surely they don't grab another one
That's my hope that gws change the order,allowing us even more choice.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Just watching Glenelg V Souths PF. It's halftime. Jesus McBean is playing as is Turner. Horne-Francis looks bloody good.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just watching Glenelg V Souths PF. It's halftime. Jesus McBean is playing as is Turner. Horne-Francis looks bloody good.
Francis has every chance to be better than Daicos and Darcy. Real good player. AFL ready right now.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Francis has every chance to be better than Daicos and Darcy. Real good player. AFL ready right now.
Yeah this is unbelievably good. He is carrying this team. Exciting times for Norf.

The snap goal crumbing at pace shows so much natural instinct that you can’t teach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You’re validating the point. If Grimes can be selected in the PSD years ago and then be trained into an intercepting defender, that tells you that you don’t have to be a ready made one right now, high in the Draft order. Your validating the outlook clubs seem to have.

What do reckon the club considers its biggest need: quality on ballers, KPF’s or an intercepting defender ?
I’ll go out on a limb and say a rebounding defender and KPF for sure.
Think it’s widely acknowledged that a rebounding KPD is crucial to the modern game.
Regardless of where we find one, imagine Richmond without Grimes or Jack. Or a replacement.
These types need to be developed. They won’t magically appear unless you pay absolutely too dollar to recruit them. They’re rare beasts. Midfielders not so much.
Get your spine right and put midfielders around it.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
speed is integral to success.
But so is intent
And reaction time to know where the footy is going before the oppo.
100% correct.
For example, anyone who wants to compare Balta to Rance needs to consider point 2&3.
Unparalleled from #18 and nothing to do with athletic ability.
Knew where the football was going before the football did and died to get there.
Legend

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I’ll go out on a limb and say a rebounding defender and KPF for sure.
Think it’s widely acknowledged that a rebounding KPD is crucial to the modern game.
Regardless of where we find one, imagine Richmond without Grimes or Jack. Or a replacement.
These types need to be developed. They won’t magically appear unless you pay absolutely too dollar to recruit them. They’re rare beasts. Midfielders not so much.
Get your spine right and put midfielders around it.
Spot on. Melbourne gave up 2 first round draft picks for Lever. Grimes just won our B&F. That’s how highly clubs rate these type of defenders.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
That would have us taking Erasmus - Im very happy with that selection
Thats only 7 players, so Cartlon (or Freo) still to pick. Freo would take Erasmus, then Amiss at their pick.
It leaves Sonsie and I,d be stoked with that

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I have it as a no to getting Jye Amiss. He looks like Connor Menadue’s twin.

We recruited Post because he looked like Richo. Based on this form line Amis would be playing country football in NSW after his 2 seasons in AFL.

:peepwall

Feb 25, 2007
For those who haven't seen the teams or where to watch the game, here's the info.

The match will commence at 1pm AWST / 3pm AEST and be broadcast live and exclusive on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
B:
F. Gorringe, J. Busslinger, L. Michael
HB: J. Avery, J. van Rooyen, S. Gilbey
C: B. Hough, K. Dittmar, A. Jones
HF: K. Harbour, J. Amiss, L. Paton
F: E. Benning, L. Polson, J. Stretch
Foll: J. Broadbent, M. Johnson, J. Tunstill
I/C: O. Armstrong, K. Bevan, C. Bourne, R. Farmer, Z. Fleiner

Emerg: D. Curtin, J. Draper, G. Julian

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
B:
Z. Becker, J. Parish, M. Litster
HB: A. Draper, O. Adams, B. O'Loughlin
C: L. Rayson, H. Harrison, N. Wanganeen-Milera
HF: C. Kennedy, L. Cooke, W. Spain
F: H. Lemmey, J. Lukac, I. Dudley
Foll: O. Steene, M. Liddy, S. Linke
I/C: A. D'Aloia, L. Grubb, H. Jackson, M. Michalanney, J. Owens

Emerg: C. Beecken, B. Calvett, H. Stagg, L. Whitelum

Two additional NAB AFL U19 Challenge matches are being worked through which will see the Allies (Tasmania, Queensland, Northern Territory) play for the first time.

Sunday October 3 – SA v Allies – Adelaide Oval, SA
Sunday October 10 – SA v WA – Thebarton Oval, SA

Due to the challenges surrounding the COVID situation across Australia and the current restrictions in place in Victoria, New South Wales and the ACT, boys from these states will not compete in NAB AFL U19 Challenge matches in 2021.