2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I like Johnson. A lot. And I won’t have any problem if we snare him. As a midfielder. But to suggest he can play every area of the ground - midfield, up forward and defence - is probably going a bit too far in the admiration stakes for me. If he could play a defined role in every region of the ground then people watching a hell of a lot more of him than me and you (ie the clubs and various talent watchers) would be right onto that amazing capability and he’d be a top 3 or 4 pick. But just about every man and his dog has him in the 12 to 20 range.

But who knows. You could be seeing more to him than all those people. He could turn out to be one of those very very rare beasts.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see over the next 4 or 5 years.
Is Johnston quicker than Coffield?
Hate to end up with that type of player.
I’d have no problems picking him at 15 but as you say, by definition, 7 is a massive reach.
Lacks elite athleticism. And you can’t teach that

Reactions: 1 users

Pomsta

Roast Tiger Anyone???
Feb 18, 2004
Yes, I like Delacey.
I saw him live at the Colts GF, was very impressive. I just googled his stats, it's his first year at Claremont, he has done very done well in his first year in the WAFL system.
Sheldrick will go a lot higher than a lot of people think, a very good clearance player, deceptive pace and can run all day.
Sheldrick sounds very Nathan Foley like, would that be fair?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Sheldrick sounds very Nathan Foley like, would that be fair?
Hardest man in the draft to put a finger on, Dane Swan perhaps? I reckon he's physically comparable, nicely skilled on both sides of the body & seems to bob up at critical times. Strikes me as a big game player. Probably need to strip him down by 5kg, I also have visions of a Mitch Grigg tweener (too good for SANFL, not athletic enough for AFL) as a worst case scenario so there's that to consider. Grigg had exquisite skills too, just didn't have the toe, despite having an outstanding tank. With all this in mind I'd look at him with a pick in the thirties.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Interestingly Bengal, and you have highlighted that in your post, both Gibcus & Goater suffer from a similar rush of blood. And that comment wasn't directed at you personally, I am simply making the point that Goater comes with similar question marks and that you can't have it both ways when assessing their flaws. Have said it numerous times, I have faith in the coaching staff to address these issues and the development of Balta provides me with a utmost confidence that it isn't pie in the sky optimism, but all things said and done, a flaw is a flaw & that means you have to mark them down. I don't have the same concerns with Johnson, hence the reason he is a potential top ten pick.

Gibcus issues are very minor ,he just needs to go back a few more steps,and utilize the stand rule,but in saying that he doesn't do it all the time.
I think the rebels game plan is to move it on quickly ,so l guess they don't use the stand rule as much as they should.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Callum Twomey says the Dogs #23 and Pies #27 are definitely on the market for pick swaps.

Richmond has been actively trying to bundle up picks to move up the draft. As far moving higher up or into the inside of the top 10, it's unlikely we'll see any movement by any club given the talent available early on in the draft.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm referring to his skill set, his height and his overhead ability. He definitely projects as a dual position player, more so than guys like Sonsie & Hobbs, although with the latter you could feasibly perch them in a forward pocket. His work in the defensive half has been fine, he can take a mark and he's a safe disposer of the ball. Not sure how you can simply write him off based on his athletic limitations. He looks like a two way runner to me & he also looks like he can handle close checking.
More dual position than Sonsie? He screams half forward / on-baller. And Hobbs has kicked goals and by all reports a reasonable one on one player deep. If we take Johnson as the best mid at 7 that’s ok but I wouldn’t factor in anything more.
Please let Hobbs be there.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Any interest in Sier?

Geelong has agreed to delist Charlie Constable to make him available to other clubs as a Delisted Free Agent.
Should he not receive any interest elsewhere, there remains a possibility he will be re-rookied by the Cats.

Brayden Sier has been delisted by Collingwood.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
on NWM, I've switched to Arthur Jones

one is 10-20, the other probably 40+,

and theres every chance AJ turns out better on his late trajectory

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
More dual position than Sonsie? He screams half forward / on-baller. And Hobbs has kicked goals and by all reports a reasonable one on one player deep. If we take Johnson as the best mid at 7 that’s ok but I wouldn’t factor in anything more.
Please let Hobbs be there.
Sonsie isn't a two way runner so I have my doubts that he'll do enough as a pressure forward, it's the off the ball stuff that concerns me most. The dual sidedness is handy however & there's some good lateral movement to work with. Outside of 50, dangerous, hence the Luke Shuey comparison. I like him it's just the fact he falls in the range of Goater who is my priority. Sonsie at 7? Dunno, I think I like Johnson more. If we take Hobbs then I'm 100% Goater, we need at least one tall mid in the mix.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

This is the type of thinking I like, best bang for the buck at each selection. The first thing I would ask myself is the very thing you have mentioned, will he be as good or potentially better? If not then how much of a drop off am I looking at? Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts, Robbie Gray..........................bargains are there to be had.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Any interest in Sier?

Geelong has agreed to delist Charlie Constable to make him available to other clubs as a Delisted Free Agent.
Should he not receive any interest elsewhere, there remains a possibility he will be re-rookied by the Cats.

Seemed to really fall out of favour this year with Buckley and co.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
How do you define safe Bob? I usually do that by forming contingency plans in the event they flounder in their primary position. When you have an outside type like O'Brien (a SOS special) then you are taking on a boom/bust type. Agree on Wanganeen-Milera, very outside and doesn't really project as a ball winner. If we take him then we are looking at an Edwards type role, I like the thinking but then again, the success rate with these positions is patchy. Not willing to take a chance whilst the engine room is stuttering.
I'm not sure what safe is TBH Bullus.

I guess for me - an outside wingman like NWM with our top 2 picks doesnt look safe. Or Gibcus. Or even Andrew.

TBH, I dont know what it means. I guess, like everyone, I'm super excited by the 5 picks or 4 - and hope they will at least be an upgrade on Ross, Dow, Martyn, even RCD. If Dow and RCD were the 4th or 5th mid in our rotations, pushed out by the 2 new ones, I'd be rapt. Because that prob means we'd be building real depth.

And then seeing those busts like Brander, Coffield, O'Brien kinda makes you realise its not a guarantee.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Is Johnston quicker than Coffield?
Hate to end up with that type of player.
I’d have no problems picking him at 15 but as you say, by definition, 7 is a massive reach.
Lacks elite athleticism. And you can’t teach that
Cotchin, Sidearse, Presita, Selwood, Wines, Sloane, Tarranto, Pendlebury, Walsh, Mitchell, Cripps, Macrae, Oliver, Kennedy, Parker, et al all lack elite athleticism.

What they do have is a high level of endurance, class, and the ability to find the ball 25+ times a game. Same same for Johnson.

RCD has elite athleticism, no tank and struggles to get the ball more than 15 times a game. I know which I would prefer

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Cotchin, Sidearse, Presita, Selwood, Wines, Sloane, Tarranto, Pendlebury, Walsh, Mitchell, Cripps, Macrae, Oliver, Kennedy, Parker, et al all lack elite athleticism.

What they do have is a high level of endurance, class, and the ability to find the ball 25+ times a game. Same same for Johnson.

RCD has elite athleticism, no tank though and struggles to get the ball more than 15 times a game. I know which I would prefer
Footnote: JON also had elite athleticism :rolleyes:

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

I’d love an Arfur and a Baldrick Sheldrick on our list. Hopefully they can play, but just the names spark me up a bit :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Footnote: JON also had elite athleticism :rolleyes:
Plenty of athletes vs footballers. Diesel was the antithesis of an athlete but could play a bit. Paul Broderick was another. If they have a good footy iq and some abilit, it can outweigh the athletes.
Good vision, special awareness and a quick footy brain have currency. As long as they’re not footy dumb fat arsed plodders

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Any interest in Sier?

Sier fascinates me, I’d take the risk.