2022 - March to the finals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 - March to the finals

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Did the ladder predictor last night: had us coming 4th with 14 wins, Collingwood 10th with 13! Might be unbelievably tight.

I just did 1 too. I don't have it quite as tight as you do, but crazily I have Brisbane missing finals. I have us finishing 4th too on 14 wins, if we can beat North on Saturday, we have so many good players coming back that it will shape the end to our season. I have Collingwood finishing 8th. I had us facing Geelong in a QF - bring it on if thats the way it pans out.

People have thrown their toys out of their pram after Saturday, but realistically, we should have scored 110+ points in that game, and the game should have been over, we created a shedload of great opportunities but they fell to players that butchered them. I was speaking about them last night, we missed shots that are 99/100 shots at goal, and we butchered probably 3 or 4 of them in 1 game.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Even after losing to the suns, thats very optimistic

Step back from the emotion, and we had that game sewn up, easily. We butchered shots at goal that should be kicked 99 times out of 100. It was one of those freaky games where the team that doesn't deserve to win actually does.

We should beat North, Hawks and Essendon. If we can keep the Freo, Brisbane and Port games to only 1 loss, then we finish on 14 wins.

Reactions: 1 user

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
I just did 1 too. I don't have it quite as tight as you do, but crazily I have Brisbane missing finals. I have us finishing 4th too on 14 wins, if we can beat North on Saturday, we have so many good players coming back that it will shape the end to our season. I have Collingwood finishing 8th. I had us facing Geelong in a QF - bring it on if thats the way it pans out.

People have thrown their toys out of their pram after Saturday, but realistically, we should have scored 110+ points in that game, and the game should have been over, we created a shedload of great opportunities but they fell to players that butchered them. I was speaking about them last night, we missed shots that are 99/100 shots at goal, and we butchered probably 3 or 4 of them in 1 game.
Yes. Momentum is everything.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Correct, Bourkey. If we get everyone back and rolling, we can win it from anywhere inside the 8. Of course we'd all prefer to qualify top 4 to give ourselves the best chance, but imagine winning it from 7th or 8th, it would be the absolute cherry on top. Win an elimination final, beat a top-4 side coming back from Perth, ambush Melbourne or Geelong in a prelim, and beat an interstate side at the G.

With such a lack of continuity we might even benefit from an extra week to gel.

• Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If we can get the band back together by Round 20ish, and stay sound from there (big ask given our season, I know), who would want to face this team in September:

B: Broad Tarrant Grimes
HB: DRioli Vlastuin Baker
C: Pickett Martin McIntosh
HF: Bolton Balta Short
F: Riewoldt Lynch MRioli
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I: (from) Graham Gibcus Edwards Ralphsmith Stack Ross Lambert

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Step back from the emotion, and we had that game sewn up, easily. We butchered shots at goal that should be kicked 99 times out of 100. It was one of those freaky games where the team that doesn't deserve to win actually does.

We should beat North, Hawks and Essendon. If we can keep the Freo, Brisbane and Port games to only 1 loss, then we finish on 14 wins.
what got me with the Swans game was , we were in control , we squandered multiple opportunities to ice the game , but the Swans were head down bum up playing like there was 1 kick in it

and that sort of nuance of "we're playing Richmond don't give up" seems to be spreading , the opposition sides refuse to concede

I love a lot of what I see when we are in control and that can take us a long way to a flag

I'm concerned about the periods of what look like "sloppy skills and poor decision making" , Dimma defends it with saying we don't understand the decision making time players have , I will grant that , but maintain there still seems to be an element of casualness when we get in front and the incedents we howl about are trying to be too cute and show boating etc

and I'm very concerned about the poor discipline umpire descent and other stuff leading to 50 mtr penalites and soft momentum breaking frees

I've had the horror vision that we will make finals and that sloppy stuff or ill discipline will cost us a prelim or gf

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If we can get the band back together by Round 20ish, and stay sound from there (big ask given our season, I know), who would want to face this team in September:

B: Broad Tarrant Grimes
HB: DRioli Vlastuin Baker
C: Pickett Martin McIntosh
HF: Bolton Balta Short
F: Riewoldt Lynch MRioli
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I: (from) Graham Gibcus Edwards Ralphsmith Stack Ross Lambert
I don't think we can play Balta/Reiwoldt/Lynch in the same forward line. The ball is already exiting it too quickly. I'd rather Balta at CHB and have Baker playing where needed either mid or HFF. Grimes/Vlastuin/Rioli can cover any smalls.

But no team would want to be facing that lineup on the G in Sept.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think we can play Balta/Reiwoldt/Lynch in the same forward line. The ball is already exiting it too quickly. I'd rather Balta at CHB and have Baker playing where needed either mid or HFF. Grimes/Vlastuin/Rioli can cover any smalls.

Balta second ruck, can't play defence in that role. Balta will give more defensive cover than Cumberland.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
All feels a bit like clutching at straws at this stage.

We can make finals and we might win a final, but I don't believe we can win it all unless we get super lucky.

Never felt that way in 17,19 or 20.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah, the three talls combo with Balta forward has it ever worked? Balta has played best footy down back.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

We can make finals and we might win a final, but I don't believe we can win it all unless we get super lucky.

Yeah. Once you start doing the ‘mathematical’ we can do it.
You know you’re pushing *smile* up hill

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022

I agree, we have not clicked like in those years and we always seem to be missing 2-3 key players through injury.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I felt this way in 17. If only we had won those close games we would be guaranteed top 4. Too much almost stuff. I started to believe when we beat st kilda in final round and dusty did his snap goal from the boundary.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I agree, we have not clicked like in those years and we always seem to be missing 2-3 key players through injury.
Looking back in Tigerland flag history your comment reminded me of 1969.The season saw us scrape into the four back then due to injuries to key players.We beat Geelong by over 20 goals in the first semi,beat Collingwood in the prelim,and Carlton in the Grannie.Would be nice to repeat that this year.

• Love

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Trouble is with this is that it’s not emotion - what happened on Sat happened last year many times over and in the end it got too much for us - west coast, the pies, the suns and there were others games where for whatever reason, we kept losing the unloseable games. Everyone last year kept predicting our run would start, we would cruise into the finals and create carnage.

Agree momentum is everything, we had it for a while this season but we have now lost it and it’s dam hard to get back.

Agree we should beat the hawks, lolnorf and the bumbers but whether we do is another thing. To predict we will then beat two of Port (away) and the lions and dockers is pushing my optimism button a bit to much. I am hoping like hell we make the 8, but I reckon it’s a 50:50 bet right now.

Reactions: 1 users