2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Great to see the club open up and give the supporters buy in as to why things happened.
Interesting rating system used.
We debate if one youngster is better than another.
Instead the club ascribes them a level - say Hall, McAuliffe and (guessing) Simpson are all B.
As long as they get one of them they're happy.
Fawcett ranked just below Reid and Edwards. But close enough that they domt pay overs to get R or E.
its a different approach and definitely looks at the whole list as a collective. They cant all be Dusty so how do we get the best overall list?

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ablett in particular doesn’t have a great general knowledge of AFL. I had a giggle when he said we had to replace Caddy in the midfield..
I heard it too it made me laugh.
i dont think Caddy spent 1 minute in the guts.
He did say Cotchin then he forgot who else we have lost to retirement.
He couldve mentioned Lambert Edwards even Houli
Does he know we won 3 flags not long ago.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I was hoping for Koen Sanchez or Jack Callinan so either of those would be good. Riley Weatherill might also be worth a look. We can take 2 to have a look at so it will be interesting to see which way we go.
Weatherwill has an ordinary kicking action

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He can take Ablett with him, would have liked $1 for everytime he told us GC were paying fair value for rorting the draft.
I saw a comment from Ablett praising Dudoro for his genius in drafting Luol (Sp?) at pick 39 knowing the dogs could match any pick after 40.
The Dons didnt have another pick until they traded for our 4th rd pick, so if the fact the Dogs would get him after the next pick influenced the Dons at all, rather than pick the best kid, it shows they are dumb.
i guess with Dudoro's reputation of always trying to "beat" someone there probably is a chance they did draft him cos of that tho.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
yeah, i broke that down somewhere on another thread- they basically turned pick 4, and a 2nd and 3rd rd pick this year into 4 1st rd players and 2 extra 1st rd picks in 2024. just by putting their picks out to auction.
great system.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
After all that matching of high bids, they still end up with 3, count 'em 3, first rounders next year, and a couple of seconds?????? WTF. Totally outrageous. I've followed this issue closely, understand how it works, what a cheating corrupt shitshow it is, but seeing this in black and white is still unbelievable.

EVEN allowing for an armchair ride to some extent, by the intent of the rules, they could end up with 3 out of their 4 and be short on picks next year. You'd still think that was extremely generous, but this is insane.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Guess who we are trading with next yr
Potentially Gold Coke (1 academy), Cartoon (2 father sons), Brisbane (1 father son & 1 academy) Adelaide (1 father son), & Port Adelaide (2 father sons) Sydney (1 academy) & Fremantle (will push hard for Logan McDonald)?

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I don't suppose anyone can enlighten me on how swans could take indhi kirk as a cat b rookie? His mum visited a resort in Fiji? Dad playing 300 doesn't strike me as non-traditional.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I don't suppose anyone can enlighten me on how swans could take indhi kirk as a cat b rookie? His mum visited a resort in Fiji? Dad playing 300 doesn't strike me as non-traditional.
Thats what I said on the day.
He even played vfl for the swans this year

Reactions: 2 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Indhi is a non-traditional first name. Enough to satisfy the AFL eligibility criteria...

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
It will be interesting to see if the number of Melbourne based draftees increases over the next few years as the effect of the lack of games during the Covid years starts to wear off. The Melbourne kids had a lot less opportunities to play games or even attend group training sessions than other kids outside of the ring of steele in 2020 and 2021.
You have the talent or you don't.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
One thing that definitely should change is the on trading of future draft picks for those who hold academy/father son picks. While it seems restrictive it would eliminate clubs cashing in on future first picks while gaining a first round f/s or academy pick the preceding year.