2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

McCormack FF, takes a speccy. Exciting footy. 4m (all speccys) 4k 4goals

Talk about announce yourself!

Missed this game.

What are the melbourne private schools gonna do? Quickly offer the whole Allies side a blazer and a VCE score of 99.99?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Allies dominating WA to half time. 42 to 11. Should be at least another couple of goals up, like last week. Credit to them with their challenges with distance and prep. Aside from the Suns bankers, Jack Callinan and Riley Sanders dominant through the guts, the latter has more than a touch of the Geoff Raineses about him. KPD Connor O'Sullivan good in the backline. Tye Gander has caught the eye too, low key but effective, have a gander at him if you get the chance.

One thing I loved, Walter took a mark 30-odd out and stupidly played on, Richo-style, got caught and free to them. 2 players come in and 'let him know about it', my pet hate, while he's prone on the ground. Ump reverses it. Goal JW. Well done ump.

The Vics will be cursing they didn't schedule Allies first up before they had any chance to gell you'd think. :cool:

edit, Charlie McCormack is catching the eye too. Perfect foil for Walter. Not many possies but flying and clunking and goaling. Arms like 2 giant testicles. Walter running all over the ground taking marks, playing on, missing goals, 2 goals 3 and a couple Out on the full. McCormack 3m 3k 3g

3 QT allies 11 10 76
WA 2 8 20

4th Q. Walters mark at CHF, spears to McCormack FF, takes a speccy. Exciting footy. 4m (all speccys) 4k 4goals.

Allies 74 points up

Allies by 88 points
allies 16 12 108
WA 2 8 20

WA had no answers. Allies chock full of 1st and second round prospects McKercher, Sanders, Rogers, Callinan, O'Sullivan, Walter, Read, McCormack, Gander. For WA, not much, Van Rooyan looked OK. Few players looked OK for short periods. Not much chop, terrible performance really.
From that scoreline it looks like the Wet Coke kiddies are copying the Wet Coke seniors n magoos n don't even wanna be out there playing footy.

Reactions: 1 user
For the draft watches like Bully what is this draft strengths and weaknesses talls or midfielders etc and is there value in picks after 20 to 50 etc fir us.

For the draft watches like Bully what is this draft strengths and weaknesses talls or midfielders etc and is there value in picks after 20 to 50 etc fir us.

I dont watch as close as some but i prob watch Allies closer than most.

I reckon its a deep draft. I reckon most years recently you only have 5 blue chippers,

But theres 3-4 just in the allies.

I can think of 3-4 in victoria

And i havnt seen any of WA and SA, but theyde have to have a couple?

So i reckon 10 blue chippers, which has a flow effect well into the 2nd round and beyond.

Without looking at what twomey or anyone else is saying of players ive seen play; Harley reid, jed walter, nick watson, colby mckercher, riley saunders

Is my top 5, in that order

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Very interesting question. Following ezys comment, the allies is chockers with talent this year, crazy. Remember they are the red headed stepchild of the afl, by design or not, they get less resources and have more barriers than the rest of the comp, it's not up for debate. (No home games this year! Maybe the AFL would say well they travel from everywhere anyway, what difference will it make?). They dominated SA while kicking poorly after 1 training session, then destroyed WA. Looking forward to seeing how they go against the traditionally strongest Vic sides. So, if the rest of the champs sides remain status quo in terms of draftees, which I've no reason to believe won't happen, it will be a very strong and even draft.

Last year the Allies had 2 first and 1 second rounders, and a few late picks and rookie speculators including our own Seth Campbell. Those 2 firsts were big reaches IMO, water was muddied by F/S and academy factors. Say the status quo for the Allies is a first, one or 2 seconds and 3 or 4 late picks/ rookies.

This year they are looking at 8 (pretty likely) to 10 (not unlikely) sub 30-pick players, and another 6 to 8 post 30 pick players. A roughly 6-800% increase on early draftees and double later picks players. I'd argue both quality and quantity of Allies are way up, the first rounders through to the rookies are better, and there are more of them. Jaspa Fletcher pick 12 last season (way overs then and now), wouldn't be in the top 5 Allies mids this season. Let that sink in. If the yield from the other states stays the same, its a massive increase in quality. If you think about roughly 90-100 players get drafted each year, thats a 10% injection of quality. Another interesting question is is this an outlier or are the Allies on the improve? (its hard to see a haul like this being a new normal, but still could be an indicator or significant improvement).

The question of 'if the yield from the other champs sides stays the same?' is interesting too. If so will more players get drafted? Will the same amount get drafted but higher quality across the board? ie a fair few players who might have been drafted in past years won't be? How would the clubs be thinking about all this? Hopefully the tiges are onto the Allies boom, not that its rocket surgery, we have tended to be more than most in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Another interesting question is is this an outlier or are the Allies on the improve? (its hard to see a haul like this being a new normal, but still could be an indicator or significant improvement).
Don't really pay any attention to the junior footy, just read the stuff on PRE as I'm going along. Allies squad would be put together from NSW. QLD. N.T. and Taswegieland.
N.T. has always had it's share of footy talent, it's just a matter of adapting the youngsters to big city life.
Taswegieland traditionally had plenty of footy talent, but been in decline for some time due to AFLHQ indifference.

New Souff Wails n Kweeland are the interesting ones. What's the talent pool looking like from these two states? Considering the two new clubs added ten years ago, plus a touch of manufactured rivalry with two clubs in each state, also I'm guessing more kiddies footy being pushed through the schools etc.
Is there finally some genuine show of kids to teens to AFL talent starting to develop through? If there's genuine growth pathways finally starting to show through then it's more than likely to keep growing and become the new norm. There'll still be obvious bumps n glitches, but in another ten or so years there might just be a strong feed in of young players from the heathen states.

I’m not convinced WA & SA have the talent of past years. Concur with Allies quality by the lads above.

I think the first two rounds are very good. Still need to look at Vic Country closer as well.

I’m not convinced WA & SA have the talent of past years.
Basically agree. But could be more to it. WA were poor last year, worse this year based on 1 game, they still had what 7 or 8 drafted. Ditto all that for SA. Jury out obviously but maybe they were generally overrated? Maybe big gap between best and worst? Poorly coached? Junior footy on the decline in both states? I dunno. Both look very poor.

Reactions: 1 users
Basically agree. But could be more to it. WA were poor last year, worse this year based on 1 game, they still had what 7 or 8 drafted. Ditto all that for SA. Jury out obviously but maybe they were generally overrated? Maybe big gap between best and worst? Poorly coached? Junior footy on the decline in both states? I dunno. Both look very poor.
I have noticed post covid that Nab cup/Coates League matches have gone towards the Chaos style of play .
I think the WA/SA sides haven't done that ,they play a older style ,thats not to say some WA/SA player's can't adjust to the Chaos style if they get drafted .

Reactions: 2 users
I have noticed post covid that Nab cup/Coates League matches have gone towards the Chaos style of play .
I think the WA/SA sides haven't done that ,they play a older style ,thats not to say some WA/SA player's can't adjust to the Chaos style if they get drafted .
So you'd put it down to poorly coached?

So you'd put it down to poorly coached?
Yeah l guess they just haven't adapted ,but l guess that also comes from their Colt Leagues .
In all fairness,the Chaos style has really taken off in the last couple of years in Vic under 18 League games .
It would also change the way the recruiters look at player's.

My personal opinion is that development leagues that move to the chaos style of football have lost sight of their primary objective, developing AFL quality players. Chaos footy might win more games but by its very nature takes less skill to play.

Are the juniors coming through these competitions getting the proper skills, decision making coaching that better prepares the kids for AFL footy or is the focus on get it forward anyway anyhow.

All you really need for chaos footy is a good tank and speed and I think AFL clubs are still going to be looking for much more than that.

I hope that these development leagues don’t lose sight of their primary purpose and are giving the kids under their charge a well rounded footy education and skills development.

The guys on here who follow these leagues would most likely have the answer to that but I do get concerned that some might be doing their kids a disservice.

Reactions: 5 users
My personal opinion is that development leagues that move to the chaos style of football have lost sight of their primary objective, developing AFL quality players. Chaos footy might win more games but by its very nature takes less skill to play.

Are the juniors coming through these competitions getting the proper skills, decision making coaching that better prepares the kids for AFL footy or is the focus on get it forward anyway anyhow.

All you really need for chaos footy is a good tank and speed and I think AFL clubs are still going to be looking for much more than that.

I hope that these development leagues don’t lose sight of their primary purpose and are giving the kids under their charge a well rounded footy education and skills development.

The guys on here who follow these leagues would most likely have the answer to that but I do get concerned that some might be doing their kids a disservice.

Yes

Im pretty sure the talent pathways have been told by recruiters,

Formally or informally, i dont know,

That they want speed and agility (+ competitiveness) over all else.

The Allies squad that is dominating all comers, is literally half a squad of sub 6-footers.

The 190+ josh smilee mids (pencil him in for top 10 2024), are a bit of a rarity this year,

But theres a shitload of fast, agile little bloke.

Jake rogers is a bit of a poster boy (i rate him) at 172/70.

He is very quick and agile, but years gone by, hes a 3rd rounder on size,

This year he could go in the first round

The game is getting quicker and quicker.

And with tackling getting made harder and harder,

I think it will be look more like gaelic football in 5 years,

Which requires a whole different type

• Sad
Yeah l guess they just haven't adapted ,but l guess that also comes from their Colt Leagues .
In all fairness,the Chaos style has really taken off in the last couple of years in Vic under 18 League games .
It would also change the way the recruiters look at player's.

Wa footy is also different. Big hard grounds, more open game. Never really watched SANFL.

But agree as i posted above; NaB league gone full speed.

I’m not convinced WA & SA have the talent of past years. Concur with Allies quality by the lads above.

I think the first two rounds are very good. Still need to look at Vic Country closer as well.
Where would you place Dan Curtin? I think he's a lock for top 5.

Where would you place Dan Curtin? I think he's a lock for top 5.

I havnt seen him play, but

the only bloke in a couple of months to restrict Jed Walter to less than 10 shots on goal,

Would have to put him in the top 15 youde reckon?

I reckon the top 5 is pretty crowded this year Bully.

I cant squeeze him in, but seeing him play could change things.

FB in an ordinary side a tough gig, but probably not as tough as a FP

Last edited:
I havnt seen him play, but

the only bloke in a couple of months to restrict Jed Walter to less than 10 shots on goal,

Would have to put him in the top 15 youde reckon?

I reckon the top 5 is pretty crowded this year Bully.

I cant squeeze him in, but seeing him play could change things.

FB in an ordinary side a tough gig, but probably not as tough as a FP
He's a great prospect given his ability to play at both ends, currently being trialed as a tall midfielder, very clean disposal and good overhead. Could be anything at this stage, huge upside.