2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Vic country and vic Metro select 2023 u18 squads and start training in December 2022,

Five months before Allies select a squad.

Why isnt the premier showcase of talent for a $1b industry a level playing field, comparing apples with apples?

I find this extraordinary, even by AFL standards

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah, thsts seriously poor. I bit they trot out regional hubs are happening.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah,you might want to lower your sights Bully :LOL:
Second rounders this year.
True although we still have the capability to use a future first, will have to size up the pros & cons, might be doable although most clubs have been buying into this draft so perhaps not.

Reactions: 1 user

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
True although we still have the capability to use a future first, will have to size up the pros & cons, might be doable although most clubs have been buying into this draft so perhaps not.
We used 2023 future 1st round pick in trade week ,l think we have to trade in now before we can trade out picks for 2023..,but l think 2025 we have to use our first rounder,unless we trade in another one :LOL:.
Something like that.

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We used 2023 future 1st round pick in trade week ,l think we have to trade in now before we can trade out picks for 2023..,but l think 2025 we have to use our first rounder,unless we trade in another one :LOL:.
Something like that.
Hearing from multiple sources we’re very strong on bringing in a couple of proven KPFs.
Not sure we’ll be going to the draft in a meaningful way

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Hearing from multiple sources we’re very strong on bringing in a couple of proven KPFs.
I reckon that too,but one back man ,and one forward.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I guess with trading firsts is that clubs in general want to use them as the first option.
So trying to trade a future for a current year draft pick will always be an unequal trade.

Plus factoring in the uncertainty risk of where we finish, adds to the unbalance.
Unlikely we would get much better than a pick in the teens.
And we would pay through the nose

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
We do our best work after pick #29 anyway

Bradtke & Young our 200 game bookends

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We seem to prefer trading for these guys as opposed to taking the punt early & ending up with another Griffiths/Vickery. Personally i don't mind it. If we did trade a F1 to get a 1st this yr we'll have the same problem next yr. if we finally get a decent injury run this yr we'll have guys stuck in the VFL that will be looking to move for game time so we could improve our draft hand that way maybe?

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
We seem to prefer trading for these guys as opposed to taking the punt early & ending up with another Griffiths/Vickery. Personally i don't mind it. If we did trade a F1 to get a 1st this yr we'll have the same problem next yr. if we finally get a decent injury run this yr we'll have guys stuck in the VFL that will be looking to move for game time so we could improve our draft hand that way may
I’m definitely all for trading in a key forward as we are going to need someone to replace Riewoldt moving forward. However I also see the value in taking a young key forward in the draft.

Ideally I’d like to see us trade our future first round pick into this year to pick up the best available key forward at that pick. I’d then use our second rounder to trade in a young ready made key forward that may not be getting games such as Jacob koschitzke at Hawthorn, Harry Jones at Essendon or Jake Riccardi at GWS.

I’d then try and trade back into the second round with someone like Jack Graham and pick up another big bodied young mid to come through with the rest of our younger guys.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Classic bit of blinkered feedback loopy analysis on afl.com

30 sec highlight clip of harry sheezel in match sim at north

Headline harry hype

Its dominated by Blake Drury, with overlap run and effortless neatness by foot, but there is zero mention of Drury in the article - hes just an anonymous little bloodnut in no41.

Hype indeed.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/876022

Edit: sorry wrong thread thought it was '22 draft thread

Last edited:

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Who can we afford to let go that would land us a 1st rnd pick?
Only player i can think of is Short.
Suns could do with someone like Short.
Pick 7 would do nicely.

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
Who can we afford to let go that would land us a 1st rnd pick?
Only player i can think of is Short.
Suns could do with someone like Short.
Pick 7 would do nicely.
I was referring to trading our future first into this years first round. Short will still have 3 years of his contract to run after this year so that probably won’t happen. You’d think Graham would be able to get us a pick in the low to mid 20’s which would be very handy.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Classic bit of blinkered feedback loopy analysis on afl.com

30 sec highlight clip of harry sheezel in match sim at north

Headline harry hype

Its dominated by Blake Drury, with overlap run and effortless neatness by foot, but there is zero mention of Drury in the article - hes just an anonymous little bloodnut in no41.

Hype indeed.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/876022

Edit: sorry wrong thread thought it was '22 draft thread

Ezy, you know I'm a fan of Drury. The more I look at him the more I see someone who could fir in our system flawlessly and play the Lambert roll.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I was referring to trading our future first into this years first round. Short will still have 3 years of his contract to run after this year so that probably won’t happen. You’d think Graham would be able to get us a pick in the low to mid 20’s which would be very handy.
Be easier to get a rnd 1 for a known player than a specultive draft number though.Contract status wouldn't be much of an issue.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
We seem to prefer trading for these guys as opposed to taking the punt early & ending up with another Griffiths/Vickery. Personally i don't mind it. If we did trade a F1 to get a 1st this yr we'll have the same problem next yr. if we finally get a decent injury run this yr we'll have guys stuck in the VFL that will be looking to move for game time so we could improve our draft hand that way maybe?
It's a perfectly acceptable strategy but is also contingent on being a destination club, something which is relatively new to the RFC. With a few clubs nipping at our heels we'll need to be careful we don't slide like Hawthorn or West Coast, getting signatures is nigh on impossible when you are out of premiership contention.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
McKay of the North variety?
I see that as being less than 1% chance of happening TBH

Restricted free agent that will get matched by Norf and a trade would need to be made and we dont have the assets to trade unless we want to give up a player like Gibcus + a 1st rounder

He will get offers around the $1 mil - $1.2 mil range from clubs like Hawks and Norf will pay that also to keep him as they have less than 5 players that would earn decent coin

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
McKay of the North variety?
Yeah he would be a decent pick up,but l was thinking Ryan Gardner from the Bulldogs.
He is a very good shut down defender in the Astbury style, had a good year in 2022 and is a free agent .
Will turn 26 this year .

I see that as being less than 1% chance of happening TBH

Restricted free agent that will get matched by Norf and a trade would need to be made and we dont have the assets to trade unless we want to give up a player like Gibcus + a 1st rounder

He will get offers around the $1 mil - $1.2 mil range from clubs like Hawks and Norf will pay that also to keep him as they have less than 5 players that would earn decent coin
A million a year,they can have him ,even if we had millions of cap space, l wouldn't offer him that.