2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
A million a year for a key defender?
Think we can spend our cap in other ways

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Yes we can but other clubs like North , Hawks etc have a shed load of cap space and nothing to spend on
Lets not forget Rance was on $750k back 7 years ago and even McGovern of the Carlton variety is getting $850k and his brother is on over $1 mil

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
If people were against Grundy on the grounds of negligent spending then this one easily tops that for wasteful management. It's a bit like paying Daniel Talia a million a season & then hoping Taylor Walker will take a pay cut.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
If people were against Grundy on the grounds of negligent spending then this one easily tops that for wasteful management. It's a bit like paying Daniel Talia a million a season & then hoping Taylor Walker will take a pay cut.
900k for Williams
850k for Mc Nuggets
750k for Polec

these are the contracts that are baffling

For a club like Hawks / Norf to pay BmcKay $ 1mil a year when they dont have any players to pay is not as bad imo

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
900k for Williams
850k for Mc Nuggets
750k for Polec

these are the contracts that are baffling

For a club like Hawks / Norf to pay BmcKay $ 1mil a year when they dont have any players to pay is not as bad imo
Or just get Tarrant on minimum wages.............

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Yes we can but other clubs like North , Hawks etc have a shed load of cap space and nothing to spend on
Lets not forget Rance was on $750k back 7 years ago and even McGovern of the Carlton variety is getting $850k and his brother is on over $1 mil
Yeah Rance was a elite intercept chb,but at the same time we won 2 premierships without him.
I think Astbury was more important to our side than Rance ,and he certainly wasn't on anywhere near 1million .
Astbury's is so underrated ,l don't know how many successful shutdown jobs he did.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeah Rance was a elite intercept chb,but at the same time we won 2 premierships without him.
I think Astbury was more important to our side than Rance ,and he certainly wasn't on anywhere near 1million .
Astbury's is so underrated ,l don't know how many successful shutdown jobs he did.
I think they were both important. Having a Rance or that role was incredibly important to Astbury but equally true the other way around.
I wouldn’t say Astbury was more important than Rance (who to me was a once in a generation defender) but I do agree he was underrated.
Chris Scott was expecting to exploit Astbury on Hawkins based on his half time 2020 grannie speech and he kicked one point after halftime in that game. He certainly underrated him.

Reactions: 3 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I believe they complemented each other.
But I agree, Astbury was very underrated. Outside the club. His teammates knew his worth.

Reactions: 4 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Astbury didn't conceed 1 possession in the '19 GF. He was also the 1 that allowed Rance to do as he did. Was as important to us as Lambert was IMO.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Dave was great. One of those true, lock down sacrificial defenders that would play on the big strong guys, often doing it a bit undersized. He’d also take big hits in front of packs and filling the hole. A true warrior and integral piece in our backline.

Still remember Leon Harris saying after we drafted him that he wouldn’t make it, and that he had too many gaps in his game. Yeah, didn’t quite work out like that did it Mork ?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Dave was great. One of those true, lock down sacrificial defenders that would play on the big strong guys, often doing it a bit undersized. He’d also take big hits in front of packs and filling the hole. A true warrior and integral piece in our backline.

Still remember Leon Harris saying after we drafted him that he wouldn’t make it, and that he had too many gaps in his game. Yeah, didn’t quite work out like that did it Mork ?
Considering all the major injuries he had ,,he had a great career,and just think he nearly went to Brisbane at the end of 2015.
I remember watching him at the nab cup level,along with Matt Dea and l think Freezer had a son playing at the same time,and l though geez he's not a bad player.
He was a strong mark ,good on a lead,quite agile,kicking was a bit indifferent ,the only knock l had on him was he played a bit too nice,and l wondered if he had the aggression and mental toughness for a long AFL career.
He certainly had the mental toughness.

I would love to know how many goals got kicked on him from 2016 on wards,l bet he has one of the best records of all key backs in the history of AFL.

Last edited:

Jimmeh

Joe Show
Nov 20, 2009
I always thought ex-players would make the best scouts. Players just have an innate feel for who can and can't play. The higher skilled the better. Just seems like a natural fit.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Will have a good knowledge of the private school network which is becoming as important as the U18's. What is it now called the Coates higher talent pathway league program academy master of football administration and drafting young blokes thingo.

Bully/my joint application was rejected due to asking for South Melbourne market dimmies to be at every ground. I stand by our demands.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Boys club anyone? Private school network? Nup?
It looks like the Giesh has been unleashed after learning the job, working his way up the chain and earning his position. I dont believe he has failed or been fired from one, just to be re-hired elsewhere. So no I dont think it is a "Boys club" hiring, unlike a few others.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Considering all the major injuries he had ,,he had a great career,and just think he nearly went to Brisbane at the end of 2015.
I remember watching him at the nab cup level,along with Matt Dea and l think Freezer had a son playing at the same time,and l though geez he's not a bad player.
He was a strong mark ,good on a lead,quite agile,kicking was a bit indifferent ,the only knock l had on him was he played a bit too nice,and l wondered if he had the aggression and mental toughness for a long AFL career.
He certainly had the mental toughness.

I would love to know how many goals got kicked on him from 2016 on wards,l bet he has one of the best records of all key backs in the history of AFL.
One of my favourite memories of Dave was one afternoon at Marvel well before 2017 when we were playing a meh game against what were at that point the meh Lions.
We were expected to win and were comfortably going through the motions when "The Barometer" Rhys Matheson decided to change the tempo by doing his scragging and dirty head-high type tactics on Dusty.
The temperature of the game amped up considerably as the action got progressively more willing.
I hadn't seen Big Dave get wound up before but when Matheson went at Dusty one time too many, but this time in Astbury's vicinity, his mood got very dark indeed.
He grabbed Matheson by the scruff of the jumper and gave him several of the more vigourous shakes that i have seen, whilst eyeballing him at very close proximity.
Matheson's head went back and forward like a rag doll and after that I swear he lost his passion for the niggle and the contest.
It's the quiet one's you need to be mindful of.