2023 Jack Dyer Medal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Jack Dyer Medal

2023 Jack Dyer Medal top 20 players

1st - Tim Taranto, 68

2nd - Dustin Martin, 54

3rd - Shai Bolton, 50

4th - Nick Vlastuin, 46

5th - Daniel Rioli, 45

6th - Liam Baker, 44

7th - Noah Balta, 43

8th - Dion Prestia, 42

Eq. 9th - Kamdyn McIntosh, 30

Eq. 9th - Nathan Broad, 30

11th - Toby Nankervis, 27

Eq. 12th - Trent Cotchin, 26

Eq. 12th - Jack Graham, 26

Eq. 14th - Dylan Grimes, 25

Eq. 14th - Jacob Hopper, 25

Eq. 14th - Jayden Short, 25

Eq. 14th - Tylar Young, 25

18th - Jack Riewoldt, 22

19th - Marlion Pickett, 21

20th - Rhyan Mansell, 19
This right here illustrates our biggest problem. Where are the u23’s? Not one player taken in the ND since 2017 could make the top 20 of our B&F!

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Can’t get votes if they don’t get picked. I suppose a symptom of 3 flags with an established group but you’re right, we have some catching up to do getting games into the kids.

Reactions: 5 users
Can’t get votes if they don’t get picked. I suppose a symptom of 3 flags with an established group but you’re right, we have some catching up to do getting games into the kids.
exactly! winning flags is number one, you play the players who can win you the flag. This year and next are the developing years, we will see more of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Summary of the medal count last night
——————————————————-

Congratulations to all 20 players.

Star inside midfielder Tim Taranto has won the 2023 Jack Dyer Medal.

Taranto capped an outstanding debut season with Richmond by capturing the Club’s prestigious Best and Fairest award at the Crown Palladium tonight.

He polled 68 votes to finish well ahead of Dustin Martin in second place on 54 votes, with Shai Bolton in third on 50 votes. Nick Vlastuin (fourth, 46 votes) and Daniel Rioli (fifth, 45 votes) rounded out the top five in tonight’s count.

One of Richmond's prized pair of recruits from Greater Western Sydney landed in last year's Trade Period, Taranto was a dominant force around the ball for the Tigers throughout 2023, finishing top 10 in the competition for total disposals (662), clearances (142) and tackles (154, a Club record).

The 25-year-old was awarded the maximum five Best and Fairest votes in a match on just three occasions, but in a testament to his high level of consistency at the coalface, he received 52 of a possible 65 votes between rounds five and 18 to race away with the award.

Taranto is the first player to win the Jack Dyer Medal in their debut season after being recruited from a rival league club since Barry Rowlings in 1979, and adds to his 2019 Best and Fairest award won at Greater Western Sydney.

* Amazing stat the above. Only I other player has achieved it*

Martin, who won the Jack Dyer Medal in 2016 and 2017, produced another stellar season to finish runner-up after a strong finish, polling half of his votes in the final seven games he played.

It is the ninth time in his illustrious, 14-season career to date that Martin has finished on the podium following the vote count.

**9/14 years has finished on the podium.
His year was truly great that many people never or wouldn’t acknowledge his impact.

Only Champion’s Data Horne did! **

The Richmond champion received the Jack Titus Medal averaging 23.6 disposals, 9.8 contested possessions, 4.7 marks, 2.9 clearances, 5.0 inside-50s, 1.2 goals, 7.7 score involvements and 372.5 metres gained per match.

After earning All-Australian selection in 2022, Bolton followed up with more scintillating football this year to finish third and claim the Maurie Fleming Medal.

The brilliant 24-year-old recorded the most five-vote games throughout the season, with four, for his performances against West Coast in Round 8, Fremantle in Round 13, Sydney in Round 17 and North Melbourne in Round 23.

Bolton was the No.1 ranked player at Tigerland in 2023 for total inside 50s (125), goal assists (19), score involvements (161) and metres gained (10,362), and No.2 for disposals (500), contested possessions (223), clearances (93), tackles inside 50 (22) and goals (31).

*** Read that again.
No1 player for the Tigers.
I expect Bolton to play more midfield minus next year or Wing and put in a powerful pre season to achieve this.

Watch out the competition in 24***

Vlastuin returned to the top five of the vote count for the first time since finishing third in 2020, again showcasing the trademark traits that make him one of the competition’s best defenders.

Celebrated for his elite marking and intercept ability, the 29-year-old was ranked No.2 at the Club for marks (144), intercepts (172) and rebound 50s (116) in claiming the Fred Swift Medal.

After missing two matches with a corked leg, Vlastuin returned to produce consecutive five-vote games against Fremantle in Round 13 and St Kilda in Round 14.

****After a slow and shaky start Nick showed us there is still fight in this Premiership Star Tiger****

The move of Rioli to a rebounding half-back role late in 2021 again paid dividends for player and club this season, as he won the Kevin Bartlett Medal for fifth place.

The dashing defender, who finished one vote behind winner Tom Lynch in last year's count, recorded career-high totals for the 2023 season in disposals (476), contested possessions (130), clearances (18) and defensive-half pressure acts (259).

Rioli was rewarded with maximum votes for his efforts in Round 1 v Carlton, Round 4 v Western Bulldogs and for a career-high 31 disposals against West Coast in Round 18.

***** What can you say. A huge season. A huge rebounding HB player that I hope Yze looks for a new role for Rioli.

Wing for mine. Has courage, huge running ability who can threaten the opposition with kicking goals.

Him and Shai on the wings with Pickett in the guts, suddenly looks dam exciting with hurt factor on the scoreboard.

And something we have lacked. SPEED.*****

2023 Jack Dyer Medal top 20 players

1st - Tim Taranto, 68

2nd - Dustin Martin, 54

3rd - Shai Bolton, 50

4th - Nick Vlastuin, 46

5th - Daniel Rioli, 45

6th - Liam Baker, 44

7th - Noah Balta, 43

8th - Dion Prestia, 42

Eq. 9th - Kamdyn McIntosh, 30

Eq. 9th - Nathan Broad, 30

11th - Toby Nankervis, 27

Eq. 12th - Trent Cotchin, 26

Eq. 12th - Jack Graham, 26

Eq. 14th - Dylan Grimes, 25

Eq. 14th - Jacob Hopper, 25

Eq. 14th - Jayden Short, 25

Eq. 14th - Tylar Young, 25

18th - Jack Riewoldt, 22

19th - Marlion Pickett, 21

20th - Rhyan Mansell, 19

In my eyes next year no ceiling should be set on this group.

With Trent, Jack retiring plus Castagna and Tarrant there are spots there.
Mansell was a surprise but good on the kid.
I like him.
Congratulations to him in finishing in the top 20.

Last edited:
We are losing a heck of a lot of leadership with The Skip & Jack retiring in the same season.
On the back of Houli & Shedda.
These guys aren't just great footballers. Very difficult to replace the gravitas they have brought to the club.
Not to mention the departure of long term coaches.

A new era dawns but there is a large degree of uncertainty about it. Who can stand up to replace these enormous shoes to fill?

Absolutely. Add Lablett and Astbury as well.

Reactions: 2 users
exactly! winning flags is number one, you play the players who can win you the flag. This year and next are the developing years, we will see more of them.
Agree No4.

Returning
—————
Lynch
Gibsus

Retired

————
Cotchin
Jack
Castagna
Tarrant

Trade in
————-
Kosi

Young, Developing, Push out non performing players ( older )
—————————————————

-Samson Ryan ( improve his marking , core strength and get out of his fame, going up one handed)
-Soldo ( to improve more after an interrupted pre season ). Don’t want him traded.
-Banks. Improved after his debut.
-Brown. What I saw of these 3 kids
-Trezise I’m bullish about !
-Bauer ( forward not back) He is a very good mark for his size. He can be our hybrid who works up the ground. Our link between HB to HF )
-Coulthard ( exiting ) . I hope he and Seth show us what these two kids can show us forward of the ball).
-Ross ( to improve more after another pre season and look at a midfield roll, not Wing for mine)
-Campbell ( exciting. See above with Coulthard. Hope the kid gets a break and has a pre season to show us why so many of us see something special with this kid ).
-T Dow ( improve his tank more and polish his kicking skills. His hand ball game is very good)
-Cumberland ( hope the sees this kid -as an x-factor player and that he installs confidence in him to believe he belongs in the seniors)
-MRJ ( similar to the above. He has to return on first day of preseason and have already done the work and be in the best shape, attitude and hunger to hit the ground running and light up our midfield. To me he is a midfielder. Straight line, see ball, get ball with pace). Build his call and learn to keep on his feet.
-Miller ( hope Yze finds a role ( permanent ) and helps him believe he belongs. I know that if you having got some mongrel that you can’t acquire. By Yze building the kids confidence and giving a defined role, with give him that confidence. I would play him back.
-Hugo Ralphsmith. Kid has pace to burn but his disposal. Can Yze correct this and can the kid improve this important aspect of the modern. Our turnovers by foot have been poor for a few years.
What is the club thinking and where is his best spot?
-Sonsie. The kid has class in spades but at times his work rate and two way running we have questioned his desire or thirst for the contest. His not a wing. His a pure mid. Hope Yze sees this. A big pre season coming up for this talented kid. Does he want it?
-Mansell. Where do we see this player. Started as a HB earlier on his career and then became ‘ our pressure forward. He is tough, courageous and has pace. Does Yze have a position in mind for him? Back to HB for mine?
-
Judson Clarke. This kid excites me. Another who needs to have a very good preseason, build his tank, core and who Yze should see as an option for a wing or high HF. He could become our Lambert, so if Yze has him earmarked for that, then I would spend all preseason learning off the best. Craig Lambert. We really need that type in 24.
-
These players I’ve bunched together as I’m not sure on them.

-Bigoa Nyuon ( frustrating player who has so much ability to play anywhere but does he have the hunger to work hard this pre season and for Yze to notice him?)
-Steely Green ( what is his best position? )
-Kaleb Smith ( I do like this kid. Injury interrupted season. If he has some luck and gets a free run, what is his best position? )

Looking at the above I don’t see doom & gloom. Kosi is obviously going to help tremendously and with an injury free Lynch & Gibsus, we CAN jump into the 8.)

Not doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
There is a low vibe a low mood across the whole thing that I'm picking up on.

There obviously has been some goings on at the RFC the joint has a feel of a club thats had its fabric torn and its guts kicked in.

Yze could have his work cut out for him lifting this lot up and getting them up and running.

The new broom is definitely the best remedy.
How can you possibly glean all this from this show tonight?
We are not getting insights into the crowd at all, doesn’t mean they are not connecting and having a great night. Sheeds, Richo and other old timers are there.
Perhaps some eyewitness accounts would be good

Reactions: 3 users
After watching the five players give their speeches it was glaring that we will miss the leadership of Cotch and Jack. Some massive holes appearing.
Taranto was impressive and will play a huge role in leadership in coming years but we need Tom Lynch next year not just for his footy ability but for his leadership.

Reactions: 1 user
This right here illustrates our biggest problem. Where are the u23’s? Not one player taken in the ND since 2017 could make the top 20 of our B&F!
They cant be in our top 20 because they aren't here anymore.
Some massive *smile* ups.
Taking Higgins at 17
Not using our 1st pick 2020.
Picking up kids either too slow and or low possessions winners.
Flaky Talls
The list management and drafting over that period has been horrendous.
Where's all the kids that were fast gone??

lol at Ross polling less than Mansell. Pickett, Hopper, Graham, Grimes and many others. Obviously the previous coaches never rated him. Hopefully Adem does.

I'll give this the high horse award for the evening.
Don't you think those supporters who attended the function and all those watching the Live stream deserve a lot more than 10 sec of a few thank-you's? We'd like to hear that he's looking forward to next year, to play 300 at the Tigers, etc. But we got nothing. His manager should take some responsibility as well. He couldn't get off the stage quickly enough.

It felt like I went back in time and it was 2009.
So this. The broadcast was beyond average, it had been best in class for a long time with Richo hosting. Last nite was 2005 adjacent. No updates after round 8, round 15. I've seen local clubs run better broadcasts. A real drop off from what it was. The first sign of a drop off in standards off the ground which has been a strength.

Without seeing it, no speech from Yze? I would've bet the house on Yze making a strong speech about his intentions and address the crowd. Did it happen?
The first time in front of the club, if he didn't, that's a huge missed opportunity. Surprised Benny signed off on it.

Really curious to hear the viewpoint of those in the room what the vibe was.

And the result, top three was a gimme, heaps of us called that on here. But the rest? Yuk. Jack Ross so low? Why? Short so low? why? Kamdyn McIntosh top 10? Give me a spell. Vlastuin forth? I don't know. Hard to understand what the match committee was watching. Reckon us internet spankers got it more right.

Overall an average night. Would love to see what the internal review of last nite was like.

So this. The broadcast was beyond average, it had been best in class for a long time with Richo hosting. Last nite was 2005 adjacent. No updates after round 8, round 15. I've seen local clubs run better broadcasts. A real drop off from what it was. The first sign of a drop off in standards off the ground which has been a strength.

Without seeing it, no speech from Yze? I would've bet the house on Yze making a strong speech about his intentions and address the crowd. Did it happen?
The first time in front of the club, if he didn't, that's a huge missed opportunity. Surprised Benny signed off on it.

And the result, top three was a gimme, heaps of us called that on here. But the rest? Yuk. Jack Ross so low? Why? Short so low? why? Kamdyn McIntosh top 10? Give me a spell. Vlastuin forth? I don't know. Hard to understand what the match committee was watching. Reckon us internet spankers got it more right.

Overall an average night. Would love to see what the internal review of last nite was like.
Sam Lane interviewed Yze. It was a straightforward interview

Agree on all fronts. I joined late so missed O'Rourke, Benny's and Yze's speeches. In the past the speeches of Peggy, Benny and Dimma would have been up on the app by the end of the night. 12 hours later and still nothing.

lol at Ross polling less than Mansell. Pickett, Hopper, Graham, Grimes and many others. Obviously the previous coaches never rated him. Hopefully Adem does.
Ross played 19 games, averaged 18.2 disposals and only polled a measly 19 votes. Clearly his work was just not rated internally and I have to agree. Very mediocre footballer right now.

Sam Lane interviewed Yze. It was a straightforward interview

An interview? WTF. This was the opportunity for him to make a landmark statement. What his themes will be for 2024 and beyond, what he expects from his players with standards, pre season etc. TBH, I thought the reason they pushed the b&F back so far after the end of the season was because they wanted it to be about the new coach. Now I don't know why it was held so late.

An interview? WTF. This was the opportunity for him to make a landmark statement. What his themes will be for 2024 and beyond, what he expects from his players with standards, pre season etc. TBH, I thought the reason they pushed the b&F back so far after the end of the season was because they wanted it to be about the new coach. Now I don't know why it was held so late.
The B&F was pushed that far in case we made finals. Nothing to do with the new coach.
And Benny did not get up to speak. This was super disappointing.

Reactions: 2 users