2023 Jack Dyer Medal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Jack Dyer Medal

From inside the room last night:

Progressive top 6 leaderboard was shown up on the screen whilst the round by round highlights were being shown up until Round 18 from memory. Taranto was on 63 votes at that point (around 15-20 votes clear of Rioli in 2nd) so obviously both tailed off at the end of the season.

Baker and Hopper from memory were both in the top 6 up until Round 7 or so.

Dusty didnt appear in the top 6 until very late in the season (perhaps Round 17).

No photos allowed with the players on the night as requested by the club, but one player I will single out is Lynch - went out of his way to say hello to as many supporters as he could on his way in which was quite impressive (most other players completely ignored the fans as they walked past). They dont have an obligation to say hello of course, but I thought it was actually some impressive leadership by Lynch to do so. Unfortunately he was still in a moon boot as mentioned on here which is a bit worrying.

Speeches were a bit lacklustre, highlight of the night clearly when Jack was up on stage. We are going to miss him dearly around the club no doubt about that.

Whilst it was a good night - I'd suggest that for the ticket price it is not worth it unless you view it as a sizeable donation to the club. Not sure Ill be heading to it again at that price point for what you get.
Not the only one who is of that opinion Rancey.

Others have shared your sentiments from the floor.

The online stream was sheizenhausen and the worst one in years.

And the avoidance of fans by the players is a little bit ordinary, so kudos to Tommy Lynch.

Make him Captain with Timmy VC.

Reactions: 2 users
The votes per game basis is revealing - disappointing results for Grimes/Hopper/Short/Graham. Senior players who should be Top 10 in the B&F.

1987 was the start of the youth policy, this is more like 1983 with a host of aging stars dominating and very little in the way of fresh talent rolling through. This was also the time we lost Geoff Raines, Brian Taylor and David Cloke and recruited a whole host of B graders (although I did like Annear from that era). Looking at the bottom 5 there's a few red lights, those players should be featuring in the top 15, we're lagging and Clarkes' picks are looking sickly in comparison to Jackson's, it's been 7 years and will soon be 8 with very little chance of nailing an A grader this year.
Oh my Bully! You make it sound so grim. It is really not that bad.
The reason the young guys haven’t come on yet is because they haven’t had a chance to play.
We got a small vignette in the last round with Trezise and Brown really showing something.
Young will be a B+ player next year.
Juddy will be better and exciting.
Can’t wait to see Coulthard with a preseason under his belt.
And a new coaching voice too.
I think we are actually in a pretty good position.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Oh my Bully! You make it sound so grim. It is really not that bad.
The reason the young guys haven’t come on yet is because they haven’t had a chance to play.
We got a small vignette in the last round with Trezise and Brown really showing something.
Young will be a B+ player next year.
Juddy will be better and exciting.
Can’t wait to see Coulthard with a preseason under his belt.
And a new coaching voice too.
I think we are actually in a pretty good position.
It could turn around quickly if we're serious about Cadman or someone of his ilk, but the problem we now face is our destination club credentials are diminishing and we have the looming spectre of Tasmania on the horizon. The foundations need to be placed this year and next, beyond that it will be slim pickings.

Reactions: 3 users
I went for many years and it’s always been a good night, very good when weve won the flag :)) . I agree though the price is bull *smile* , I know they always say it’s the players night “ please no photos “ fair enough , however it also should be a thank you to the fans as the final event of the year , there’s a hell of a lot of die guards who do plenty for the club all year who fork out the big coin for the evening , not sure it takes much for the boys to be polite . Generally they are left alone as their tables are seperate to the public .

definitely sounds like the JDM needs an overhaul
Now I’m going back many years, back when Sheedy was coaching Essendon but I was going out with a bird whose family was involved at the Bombers. As a result I went to a B&F and they did a magnificent job of making the supporters feel part of the night. A player & partner was on every table until after the meals were complete at which point they were free to go and join their mates.

Really well done, but I doubt any club would do anything like it these days.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
It could turn around quickly if we're serious about Cadman or someone of his ilk, but the problem we now face is our destination club credentials are diminishing and we have the looming spectre of Tasmania on the horizon. The foundations need to be placed this year and next, beyond that it will be slim pickings.
Tasmania could not be any more onerous than the Giants and the Suns coming into the comp. We filled out our list with players like, Broad, pick 67 and Short Pick 11 rookie draft.

Reactions: 1 user
The votes per game basis is revealing - disappointing results for Grimes/Hopper/Short/Graham. Senior players who should be Top 10 in the B&F.

On votes per game, Hopper and Short polled joint 11th, 0.02 votes off Broad in 10th. Graham and Grimes polled poorly.

Just noticed that Collingwood's B&F is being streamed on Kayo currently.

For what its worth - they've just done the votes for Rds 1-6 (ours only started at around 10pm).

Reactions: 1 user