2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I would think development is working,it's just one of those year's .
Thats not to say you won't pick up decent player's in 2023,it just appears the depth of quality is stronger in 2024
Dunno. Maybe. I'm skeptical. I still think the Allies dominance has shaken things up. Are the rest of the sides weaker than usual? or are the Allies a standout powerhouse side? We won't know for a year or 5, but I reckon its more of the latter.

One aspect I agree on, because it has evidence to support it, is that the VM mids look stronger next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Dunno. Maybe. I'm skeptical. I still think the Allies dominance has shaken things up. Are the rest of the sides weaker than usual? or are the Allies a standout powerhouse side? We won't know for a year or 5, but I reckon its more of the latter.

Bit of both i reckon.

One aspect I agree on, because it has evidence to support it, is that the VM mids look stronger next year.
I have been watching the Rebels since 1997,l remember it clearly because it was there only premiership year,with Goodes,Obree,Picken etc playing that year.
I have been watching the champs a few years before that.
It happens ,for whatever reason ,there are down seasons in the depth of the quality of talent .
Tassie has a pop of 500k+ ,and with their improved development system they will get a few from that state drafted every year,but they will have down years were the quality isn't as high.

I think the biggest let downs are WA pop 2.5 million+,and SA 1.7million pop,they should be producing a lot more talent than they are being mainly AFL states.
The Rebels zone is about 300k +pop ,and they usually produce a few drafted player's each year ,the 21 draft they produced 3 first rounders Gibcus,Hobbs,Lohman,last year they had Cadman ,this year Stevens most likely will go first round

Reactions: 2 users
I have been watching the Rebels since 1997,l remember it clearly because it was there only premiership year,with Goodes,Obree,Picken etc playing that year.
I have been watching the champs a few years before that.
It happens ,for whatever reason ,there are down seasons in the depth of the quality of talent .
Tassie has a pop of 500k+ ,and with their improved development system they will get a few from that state drafted every year,but they will have down years were the quality isn't as high.

I think the biggest let downs are WA pop 2.5 million+,and SA 1.7million pop,they should be producing a lot more talent than they are being mainly AFL states.
The Rebels zone is about 300k +pop ,and they usually produce a few drafted player's each year ,the 21 draft they produced 3 first rounders Gibcus,Hobbs,Lohman,last year they had Cadman ,this year Stevens most likely will go first round
You should write a book about the history of the Rebels. I'm serious.

I reckon the Vic Metro side is weaker because of the COVID lockdowns, lack of training, missed sessions.

Most locked city impacts that you never knew would happen.

There is talk Hugo is trade bait,for a 4 or 3rd at best, I wouldn't trade him for a pick in the 40s,he can run the lines at afl level.

I reckon the Vic Metro side is weaker because of the COVID lockdowns, lack of training, missed sessions.

Most locked city impacts that you never knew would happen.
Typical excuses from the private school city folk , we all know Vic country is where the stars come from ;) :))

I don't usually step in here but would think getting our (high end) drafting right in the next few years is even more important than who we select as the new coach.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't usually step in here but would think getting our (high end) drafting right in the next few years is even more important than who we select as the new coach.
We‘ve reached the point of having razor thin margins of error in drafts. Failed picks will hurt much more now.

Reactions: 6 users
Jonty kicked 4 goals the other week playing for Redan Seniors I heard…..
not sure if it’s true….

Is a rower as well so good aerobic base like his mate Hugh Bond who was drafted to RADelaide Cows from the same school.
Follow with interest.
Regards,
The Stan

Jonty kicked 4 goals the other week playing for Redan Seniors I heard…..
not sure if it’s true….

Is a rower as well so good aerobic base like his mate Hugh Bond who was drafted to RADelaide Cows from the same school.
Follow with interest.
Regards,
The Stan
Yeah he played a very good game l believe for Redan.,one of the best on ground.
He is showing a bit at u18 level ,he seems to keep improving ,big year for him in 2024.
Rebels look like they have a very strong team for 2024,quite a few bottom age player's doing well this year.

We‘ve reached the point of having razor thin margins of error in drafts. Failed picks will hurt much more now.
Yeah l worry a little bit with Clarke being head of recruiting,he seems to go for the nicer types ,rather than the hard contested types.

Don't know how on earth you can make this call. How you make that value judgement. Like the idea of good high end talent choices - but they could all be wasted with the wrong coach and development. Let's go for broke and get them both right.

Don't know how on earth you can make this call. How you make that value judgement. Like the idea of good high end talent choices - but they could all be wasted with the wrong coach and development. Let's go for broke and get them both right.
Obviously getting both right is the priority. The rest is almost, almost chicken and egg theory.
Best possible talent with premium work ethic combined with a mediocre coach.
Sort of almost pretty good talent with a you beaut whizz bang coach.
The initial outcomes could be fairly similar, but in the long run it's way easier to get rid of a mediocre coach and replace him with a premium one a bit further down the track if necessary. Than it is to replace a large portion of the mediocre playing list to be capable of meeting the premium coaches requirements.

List management first and foremost, then find the coach that can put the polish on the gold not just scrape the crud off the rusty steel.

Keep an eye on Christian Moraes from Eastern in the 2024 draft. He isn't getting talked up as much as some others but he is a gun.

It’s a bit of a weird draft group 2024. There is a glut of undersized mids and many potential big body mids aren’t getting much of go because the small mids are all fully developed and doing well.
The no1 pick will be Finn O’Sullivan..lock that in now.

The Flying Pencil MK II
That picture is of Jagga Smith, not Finn O’Sullivan. Jagga is a whippet, Finn taller and a bit more meat on the bone. They both play in the Oakleigh Chargers team. KB’s grandson Charlie Richardson who is also at Oakleigh has been really good in a forward role.

• Wow