2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Just watched the Sandi/Oakleigh game, thought it was a beauty! For Oakleigh liked 7,5,14 and 1. Turns out that O'sullivan (5) and Jagga Smith (7).
Stunning game by Jagga - every time he came on the game turned, he had an instant influence that is hard to define almost Cotchin jnr like. Would love him at RFC next year is not small has those nice square shoulders suitable for physical development. Disappointment for us is Archie May (70). Big strong mobile but cannot kick for nuts! Said this at start of year and has not improved even had chances to win the game. Why Why is such talent wasted we identified him (VFL) but no discernible effort to develop his major flaw. Will now go and see who number 1 (speed) and number 14 (effort) are.

Reactions: 4 users
Just watched the Sandi/Oakleigh game, thought it was a beauty! For Oakleigh liked 7,5,14 and 1. Turns out that O'sullivan (5) and Jagga Smith (7).
Stunning game by Jagga - every time he came on the game turned, he had an instant influence that is hard to define almost Cotchin jnr like. Would love him at RFC next year is not small has those nice square shoulders suitable for physical development. Disappointment for us is Archie May (70). Big strong mobile but cannot kick for nuts! Said this at start of year and has not improved even had chances to win the game. Why Why is such talent wasted we identified him (VFL) but no discernible effort to develop his major flaw. Will now go and see who number 1 (speed) and number 14 (effort) are.
Is may a good mark at the level ?

1PhilactidesNathan10/01/2005181

14WaltersLiam15/08/2005185St Kevins Old Boys

Reactions: 1 user
Sandy and Oakleigh have the bulk of the bottom age kids running around ATM.
Finn will be comfortably No.1 pick next year...GUN.
The gun mids are well known and have been exposed at 18 Metro/Country level. One mid I really like who will go a bit later is Tom Gross for Oakleigh...absolute animal who also goes forward and kicks a few goals. Only 180cm.
Charlie Richardson - KB's grandson - has been really consistent in a forward role. More of a running forward at 192cm/76kg but his inclusion has really helped out the Oakleigh forward line which was really stagnant prior.
Luke Trainor from Sandy will be a good defender at 193cm. Reads the play well and great hands.
Pat Retschko from Oakleigh has been the form wingman for the past few weeks. Running machine and racks it up. Good decision making and good skills.

#1 Nathan Phila - running machine but burns his team mates non stop and butchers it way too much. If he could clean up those areas could be a very good player.
#14 Liam Walters - was killing it at St Kevins in the midfield and moved into that role at Oakleigh. Had his best game v Northern on Sunday.

Reactions: 1 users
Sandy and Oakleigh have the bulk of the bottom age kids running around ATM.
Finn will be comfortably No.1 pick next year...GUN.
The gun mids are well known and have been exposed at 18 Metro/Country level. One mid I really like who will go a bit later is Tom Gross for Oakleigh...absolute animal who also goes forward and kicks a few goals. Only 180cm.
Charlie Richardson - KB's grandson - has been really consistent in a forward role. More of a running forward at 192cm/76kg but his inclusion has really helped out the Oakleigh forward line which was really stagnant prior.
Luke Trainor from Sandy will be a good defender at 193cm. Reads the play well and great hands.
Pat Retschko from Oakleigh has been the form wingman for the past few weeks. Running machine and racks it up. Good decision making and good skills.

#1 Nathan Phila - running machine but burns his team mates non stop and butchers it way too much. If he could clean up those areas could be a very good player.
#14 Liam Walters - was killing it at St Kevins in the midfield and moved into that role at Oakleigh. Had his best game v Northern on Sunday.
Pat Retschko a junior National 400 and 800m runner.
Did an ACL last year so only going to get fitter and stronger.
Mad Tiger family too

• Love
Is may a good mark at the level ?
Yes was at the game
Stunning game by Jagga - every time he came on the game turned, he had an instant influence that is hard to define almost Cotchin jnr like. Would love him at RFC next year is not small has those nice square shoulders suitable for physical development. Disappointment for us is Archie May (70). Big strong mobile but cannot kick for nuts! Said this at start of year and has not improved even had chances to win the game. Why Why is such talent wasted we identified him (VFL) but no discernible effort to develop his major flaw. Will now go and see who number 1 (speed) and number 14 (effort) a

I happened to be at the game and couldn't agree with you "less" on Archie May.
The Sandi forwards have suffered through poor supply for several weeks and forwards May have managed as best they can.
As for his kicking he is one of the better kicks in system.

Yes was at the game

I happened to be at the game and couldn't agree with you "less" on Archie May.
The Sandi forwards have suffered through poor supply for several weeks and forwards May have managed as best they can.
As for his kicking he is one of the better kicks in system.
Has kicked 25g , is he any chance of being drafted

Yeah i agree on Jagga Smith.

looks like an inspirational multi-premiership leader.

Malakai Champion from WA 176cm 67kg.
I was watching his team mate Lance Collard more for the 2023 draft ,and this kid really impressed me.
He can play mid or as a small forward ,he is very talented ,hits his targets by foot,good hands and very good over head for his height ,and his work rate is good.

• Love
Went to watch some BFNL U/17 GF action @Bengaltigers …. Close game in the end.
Plenty of niggle and contest.
Couple of mentions:

Archie Caldow : midfielder
easily BOG … good core, size and smooth…. Nose caved in and came back on.
Moves like a basketballer… plenty of time.
Think Rob Harvey type.
(Btw did you know Scott Pendulumbury was a baller?! Hahahaha)

Floyd Burmeister …
big kid, raw, couple of hangers, angry….
Not sure on skills or best position…
played Ruck, back, forward…..
Long way back though.

Anyway… cracking weather at City Oval.

Regards,
Stan

Malakai Champion from WA 176cm 67kg.
I was watching his team mate Lance Collard more for the 2023 draft ,and this kid really impressed me.
He can play mid or as a small forward ,he is very talented ,hits his targets by foot,good hands and very good over head for his height ,and his work rate is good.

why not both.png

Went to watch some BFNL U/17 GF action @Bengaltigers …. Close game in the end.
Plenty of niggle and contest.
Couple of mentions:

Archie Caldow : midfielder
easily BOG … good core, size and smooth…. Nose caved in and came back on.
Moves like a basketballer… plenty of time.
Think Rob Harvey type.
(Btw did you know Scott Pendulumbury was a baller?! Hahahaha)

Floyd Burmeister …
big kid, raw, couple of hangers, angry….
Not sure on skills or best position…
played Ruck, back, forward…..
Long way back though.

Anyway… cracking weather at City Oval.

Regards,
Stan
Yeah the Rebels have some decent talent for next year,it looks at the moment to me like they have one of their most talented and well balanced teams l have seen .
Caldow is a good player,and they have Sam Lalor who l think is the best out of the lot,Hannaford is also very good.
Harry charleson ,Lachies brother is another decent mid ,THEN lolol you have Rhys Unwin who is another talented mid type can play in multiple positions.
They have Will Rantall who's a talented chb/fb also he is/was a talented basket baller as is Nad Wrenfree he is 183cm but seems to play a lot taller really good leap and mark.
Of course you know about Jonty Faull ,he is looking good as a kp forward ,and then you also have Flynn strawbs Penry who looks a talented Ruck

Yeah the Rebels have some decent talent for next year,it looks at the moment to me like they have one of their most talented and well balanced teams l have seen .
Caldow is a good player,and they have Sam Lalor who l think is the best out of the lot,Hannaford is also very good.
Harry charleson ,Lachies brother is another decent mid ,THEN lolol you have Rhys Unwin who is another talented mid type can play in multiple positions.
They have Will Rantall who's a talented chb/fb also he is/was a talented basket baller as is Nad Wrenfree he is 183cm but seems to play a lot taller really good leap and mark.
Of course you know about Jonty Faull ,he is looking good as a kp forward ,and then you also have Flynn strawbs Penry who looks a talented Ruck
Wary of ex-basketballers, you never hear of an ex-basketballer, making it in the AFL.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah like Penry and meant to be a good kid too.
Harry is a bit taller than Lachie and potentially not as dynamic.
Lalor the pick of the bunch.
Faull on needs basis is one to watch.
Thanks for the intel @bengal tigers.
Much appreciated.

Regards,
Stan

Interesting change in the new CBA for high pick draftees:

Top draftees are expected to have mandatory three-year contracts as their initial deal in the AFL - increased from two years - under the new CBA.

Interesting change in the new CBA for high pick draftees:

Top draftees are expected to have mandatory three-year contracts as their initial deal in the AFL - increased from two years - under the new CBA.

I actually reckon this is worse for the best kids.

Currently they get standard 2 years @ $125 or so, but top 10's usually sign a 2 year extention, probably @$250/300 in their first 6 months.

On face value, i reckon this probably diddles the best kids out pf $100k+ ???

I actually reckon this is worse for the best kids.

Currently they get standard 2 years @ $125 or so, but top 10's usually sign a 2 year extention, probably @$250/300 in their first 6 months.

On face value, i reckon this probably diddles the best kids out pf $100k+ ???
Yeah, and just said it on another thread, the having a 'First Round' as catch-all is a problem. Most top 4 or 5 picks make it and/or are stars, heaps of 10-20 picks are busts.

as I've always said, when you see a headline 'Club X demands 2 first round picks for player X', its usually pretty meaningless. picks 2 and 6 might be way overs, 5 and 15 thereabouts, 15 and 18 a bargain.

Yeah, and just said it on another thread, the having a 'First Round' as catch-all is a problem. Most top 4 or 5 picks make it and/or are stars, heaps of 10-20 picks are busts.

as I've always said, when you see a headline 'Club X demands 2 first round picks for player X', its usually pretty meaningless. picks 2 and 6 might be way overs, 5 and 15 thereabouts, 15 and 18 a bargain.

Yes the idea of an 18yo adam goodes arbitarily earning less than an 18 yo RCD is a pretty classic AFL type reform

The other absurd first roundism is when a kid plays 10 games in 6 years, and they try up the trade price citing 'former first rounder' :ROFLMAO:, as if your gonna play the bloke in the guts for Eastern Ranges

I

Last edited:
Yes the idea of an 18yo adam goodes arbitarily earning less than an 18 yo RCD is a pretty classic AFL type reform

The other absurd first roundism is when a kid plays 10 games in 6 years, and they try up the trade price citing 'former first rounder' :ROFLMAO:, as if your gonna play the bloke in the guts for Eastern Ranges

I
True, but that big an outlier are getting rarer and rarer. But there will be a lot of mid to late first rounders who don't fire a shot on 3 year contracts.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't worry. The Adam Goodes type kid will more than make up for it in future years.