2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Good Friday wrap, 2 games at Belverdre Reserve in Seaford. Double headers are great. See four teams in one day. Firstly, the ground is like carpet. Unreal surface. Secondly, no working scoreboard and a siren that can barely be heard. AFL want to pump millions into the game, start with this stuff. Saw newly appointed Chris Toce out on the wings with Ollie Grant. Toce had so many people coming up to him and shaking his hand congratulating him, seemed extremely popular and friendly. Fan or industry person he treated them the same. Seems a knockabout as well. Good vibes.

Gippy v Dandy. Great game, super quick, super skilful. Ball zinging both ways all day. These boys stood out to me in no particular order.

Gippy 29 - Ricky Mentha - couldn't stop watching him. Had limited touches but he just danced around them, everything he did was pure class. Mentha is a NT indigenous lad who was relocated for the season to be part of the Power program. He is linked to the Demons NGA but I can't see him getting past 40. The movement reminded me of Shai Bolton but i reckon he is a bit bigger. Played high half forward and pushed to the wings and his decision-making was silk. Can't find his size but at a guess I rekcon he is 184. I'd have him at Tigerland tomorrow.

Gippy 3 - Xavier Lindsay - just ran all day, contest to contest, could get through traffic with a step but didn't blow me away athletically. A footballer, just knocked them up off back flanks, wing nad in the middle. Blue collar grunt but clean by foot came back inside with multiple kicks. Kicks on the left so always looks good. Lit of Dion Presita to him with the ball and movement-wise but doesn't have the inside game yet. One to watch.

Dandy 23 -Noah Mraz- Big strong key defender who rucked as well, good below his knees. 198 cm and moves well. Clear first rounder for me. Runs well, and reads the play very well. Great second efforts for a big bloke from spoiling to the next effort. When he can, runs hard to get involved with the play.

Dandy 27 Asher Eastman- Third forward type, 188cm, lead hard and straight at the ball carrier. Made space all day for himself and others, was clean in everything he did, and had a lovely snap with a pickup at full pace. Not sure what role he plays at the next level but on this day, he was very good.

Gippy 11 -Tom Hanily - Thought he was best on. Overager who just ran and ran all day. Would get involved in multiple actions in a chain but not in a "cheat way" ran hard to get to the next contest, not a kick and go get an easy one. Missed a lot of last year with injury but he looked like an AFL mid. The patterns he ran, the way he worked in stoppages and organized those around him. And his kicking was great.

Next game was a whitewash. Northern looked disorganized, no game plan, and looked like an under-16 side. Clearly the worst side I've seen thus far. No semblance of a game plan at all. Hard to gauge much from it.

Watched a couple closely as they had been mentioned on here.

Jesse Datoil - Ran twice as hard towards goal as he did the other way. Heard his best 2km time trial is around 7min. When he gets it, is very smart. And knows how to work through traffic offensively but he didn't impress me greatly at all. Maybe it was the game.

Zax Johnston - very outside, neat kick, didn't look overly quick. Want to see more of him as he didn't scream first rounder to me.

Those that caught me eye for good reasons;

Knights 18 -Thomas Sims - 199cm key forward who went in the ruck for spells as well. A coordinated 199cm. Runs and jumps at the ball with good timing. Still raw but has the tools to be a modern big forward. Kicked five in Round 1 along with 14 disposals, nine hit-outs, seven marks and three tackles. Wasn't as profilic here as the ball wasn't getting down there and the Knights didn't create space for him at all. Definitely one to watch as a key forward who can ruck not the other way around. He is in the black book.

9 Eastern - Christain Moraes - was everywhere. Kicked four, was involved in linkup play, run back to the D50. Liked everything about him. The way he uses the ball is great, attacks the game, if anything talks the game on TOO much by foot. 182cm midfielder who I would be very happy to see at Tigerland next year. Baksetball background who glides through traffic. Dunno if it's the basketball but he cuts through traffic at pace. I'm a huge fan.

And Josh Smile, racked up touches but didn't blow me away. Still carrying baby fat, when he gets super fit he will be a unit. Still not sure he is a midfielder at the next level. Does he have the tricks? Can we overpower men as he does boys? Not sure. He will get on a list but I'm yet to make a view on him.

Mentha, Marz, Sims and Morales the four that I looked at and went, yep, wouldn't mind them in yellow and black.

Reactions: 24 users
If you could do it, or predict it, I’d just be happy to find some kids that didn’t end up getting injured all the time - like all our other players.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Loved Allen Jakovich. What a star.
Same. My favorite non tigers player.

He was mercurial. Had a mullet, blew kisses to the girlfriend in the crowd in between goals and could kick on both feet.

He was only 188cms from memory as well.

And ate chicken with the skin on.

Star.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Saw Taj Hotton's highlights on Insta. 32 disposals, 10 marks, 5 tackles, 4 goals. Liked what I saw, really athletic, quick, agile and skilled. Has the same rubber man type of movement as the old man (Trent) and brother Ollie. 182cm. I liked Ollie in his draft year and so did Toce, because he drafted him.

Reactions: 2 users
Good Friday wrap, 2 games at Belverdre Reserve in Seaford. Double headers are great. See four teams in one day. Firstly, the ground is like carpet. Unreal surface. Secondly, no working scoreboard and a siren that can barely be heard. AFL want to pump millions into the game, start with this stuff. Saw newly appointed Chris Toce out on the wings with Ollie Grant. Toce had so many people coming up to him and shaking his hand congratulating him, seemed extremely popular and friendly. Fan or industry person he treated them the same. Seems a knockabout as well. Good vibes.

Gippy v Dandy. Great game, super quick, super skilful. Ball zinging both ways all day. These boys stood out to me in no particular order.

Gippy 29 - Ricky Mentha - couldn't stop watching him. Had limited touches but he just danced around them, everything he did was pure class. Mentha is a NT indigenous lad who was relocated for the season to be part of the Power program. He is linked to the Demons NGA but I can't see him getting past 40. The movement reminded me of Shai Bolton but i reckon he is a bit bigger. Played high half forward and pushed to the wings and his decision-making was silk. Can't find his size but at a guess I rekcon he is 184. I'd have him at Tigerland tomorrow.

Gippy 3 - Xavier Lindsay - just ran all day, contest to contest, could get through traffic with a step but didn't blow me away athletically. A footballer, just knocked them up off back flanks, wing nad in the middle. Blue collar grunt but clean by foot came back inside with multiple kicks. Kicks on the left so always looks good. Lit of Dion Presita to him with the ball and movement-wise but doesn't have the inside game yet. One to watch.

Dandy 23 -Noah Mraz- Big strong key defender who rucked as well, good below his knees. 198 cm and moves well. Clear first rounder for me. Runs well, and reads the play very well. Great second efforts for a big bloke from spoiling to the next effort. When he can, runs hard to get involved with the play.

Dandy 27 Asher Eastman- Third forward type, 188cm, lead hard and straight at the ball carrier. Made space all day for himself and others, was clean in everything he did, and had a lovely snap with a pickup at full pace. Not sure what role he plays at the next level but on this day, he was very good.

Gippy 11 -Tom Hanily - Thought he was best on. Overager who just ran and ran all day. Would get involved in multiple actions in a chain but not in a "cheat way" ran hard to get to the next contest, not a kick and go get an easy one. Missed a lot of last year with injury but he looked like an AFL mid. The patterns he ran, the way he worked in stoppages and organized those around him. And his kicking was great.

Next game was a whitewash. Northern looked disorganized, no game plan, and looked like an under-16 side. Clearly the worst side I've seen thus far. No semblance of a game plan at all. Hard to gauge much from it.

Jesse Datoil - Ran twice as hard towards goal as he did the other way. Heard his best 2km time trial is around 7min. When he gets it, is very smart. And knows how to work through traffic offensively but he didn't impress me greatly at all. Maybe it was the game.

Zax Johnston - very outside, neat kick, didn't look overly quick. Want to see more of him as he didn't scream first rounder to me.

Knights 18 -Thomas Sims - 199cm key forward who went in the ruck for spells as well. A coordinated 199cm. Runs and jumps at the ball with good timing. Still raw but has the tools to be a modern big forward. Kicked five in Round 1 along with 14 disposals, nine hit-outs, seven marks and three tackles. Wasn't as profilic here as the ball wasn't getting down there and the Knights didn't create space for him at all. Definitely one to watch as a key forward who can ruck not the other way around. He is in the black book.

9 Eastern - Christain Moraes - was everywhere. Kicked four, was involved in linkup play, run back to the D50. Liked everything about him. The way he uses the ball is great, attacks the game, if anything talks the game on TOO much by foot. 182cm midfielder who I would be very happy to see at Tigerland next year. Baksetball background who glides through traffic. Dunno if it's the basketball but he cuts through traffic at pace. I'm a huge fan.

And Josh Smile, racked up touches but didn't blow me away. Still carrying baby fat, when he gets super fit he will be a unit. Still not sure he is a midfielder at the next level. Does he have the tricks? Can we overpower men as he does boys? Not sure. He will get on a list but I'm yet to make a view on him.

Mentha, Marz, Sims and Morales the four that I looked at and went, yep, wouldn't mind them in yellow and black.
Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on these players and do those write ups Scoop. Much appreciated

Reactions: 13 users
Moraes is the one we need. He would suit our list needs perfectly.

Reactions: 1 users
If you could do it, or predict it, I’d just be happy to find some kids that didn’t end up getting injured all the time - like all our other players.
It's funny, Kingy basically said the same think on SEN this morning, if you can get a guy who is a 7/10 but plays every week it's a huge advantage. Durability is the most underrated part of a list build. Sounds simple but boy we are feeling it now.

Reactions: 5 users
It's funny, Kingy basically said the same think on SEN this morning, if you can get a guy who is a 7/10 but plays every week it's a huge advantage. Durability is the most underrated part of a list build. Sounds simple but boy we are feeling it now.
We’ve been feeling it the last 4 years…..

Another quote of his which is 100% bang on, "health is your best friend in september"

Saw Taj Hotton's highlights on Insta. 32 disposals, 10 marks, 5 tackles, 4 goals. Liked what I saw, really athletic, quick, agile and skilled. Has the same rubber man type of movement as the old man (Trent) and brother Ollie. 182cm. I liked Ollie in his draft year and so did Toce, because he drafted him.

Oh boy , I’m in. Blackbooked. Smooooooooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don't know if lm being a little picky,or it's just the way the games played these days with more chaos style ,but l reckon a lot more player's struggle with their opposite foot or don't have one .

Agree on Mentha who is about 179cm ,he is a dangerous type of player ,has a very good right foot ,and he plays as a high hf,would like to see him more involved in general play.
He relocated to Gippsland from the Alice to live with his father .
Xavier Lindsay is a very good player,uses the ball really well,and doesn't mind a dash from the back line,links up really well.

Zak Johnson ,you said he is very outside,it must of just been the game ,he can get the hard ball,and is very good when in full flight.

O Farrell was good on the weekend ,looks a decent CHB to me,maybe a swing man ,,he has a good football brain,and uses it well,,(Are you reading Balta):LOL:

Went last Thursday to see the Falcons and Rebels at GMHBA ,really good crowd ,,pity it was a *smile* show of a match ,l was left thinking l have just wasted a few hrs of my life:ROFLMAO:

Rebels l don't know what they where thinking ,but kept kicking to a contest ,and their decision making was terrible.
Found it hard to make a case for quite a few player's .
REBELS ,Jack Ough pronouced O,A 194 cm forward looks a decent type ,quite agile and strong in the air ,a late 18 year old ,l will be watching him throughout the year .
Will Rantall a 192cm back ,,would make a really good third back,he attacks and reads the play really well,good in the air ,and a decent kick.

As for the rest they need to pull their heads in ,l guess Rebels missing Lalor ,Faull,,Penfry doesn't help.

Falcons River Stevens ,looks like North have a decent F/S there,strong in his attack on the ball,and has a touch of class.
Big Joe Pike over age 203cm ruck, he didn't have strong opposition ,but gets around the ground well, l would like to see how he goes in a VFL match ,could be a Msd pick.
It was one of those matches were The Falcons had good player's in all areas of the ground ,it was a crap match though .

A couple of other's a mate told me to watch for ,Tobie Travaglia from Bendigo 187cm mid/back very good over head decent foot speed ,needs to tidy up his kicking ,it can be decent but plays a chaos style of game.
He looks like he could be a Wing at a higher level.
And another lad to keep an eye on is another Bendigo player,Jobe Shanahan a 194cm key forward ,good pace and strong in the Air ,He's well regarded .

The Champs will sort out a lot this year,but l reckon there will be quite a few who will be unlucky not to be part of it.

Reactions: 4 users
Country round at Mars stadium Sunday ,3 matches starts 10 am.
Facilities are good ,Meals/bar/Tab,,long day though.

Reactions: 1 user
How long until our boy Lalor's back in action, bt?
Round 4-5 for Lalor,,,Jonty Faull who has grown a little since last season,now listed at 197cm,he might be back around champs time,but still unknown .
Flynn Penry who was going to be Vic country main ruck,is out until the late rounds ,MAYBE.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been a few years since we stold some underplayed juniors/younger players from other clubs,talking players like Butler ,Higgins, Stengle, chol,etc,we will have the cap space and there must be plenty especially at Gws,Gcs,Bulldogs with talls,we seem to have not done this lately,probably due to finishing high back ended contracts,but we will be in unbelievable condition to do do now onwards.

Ps kozi was basically pretty much a delisting.

Ok just my thoughts on watching 3 matches on Sunday.

First match Bendigo vrs Gippsland,,l only watched the last 3 quarters ,,,,

I am probably only going to mention player's l think the Tigers need.

Tobie Travaglia is around 188cm ,he is a bit of a dasher from the back line ,he is good over head and can get the hard ball,,l think he is a Wing man ,kicking is in different ,but with more composure easily improved .

Our NGA Zayden Lockwood was quite good ,,he is very Athletic and good in the air,IF he can build up like 10 kg plus ,and not lose a lot of that athletic ability he might make a player.
His endeavour is good and has good pace and has a good reach ,his slight build is the problem ,would make a good project player,and used as a back man .
James Barrat a 193cm forward looked good ,missed a few shots at goal,could of had a decent day had he been accurate ,a late 18year old

Gippsland .

Xavier Lindsay looked good ,uses the ball well,probably not what the tigers need another hb type,but he looks alright.
Max Donohue a 180cm mid Links up really well and just keeps running,can do the hard stuff, as well.
Honorable mentions to bottom agers Willem Duursma and Brodie Atkins who's a 181cm mid type ,very hard at it.

Geelong Vrs Murray.

Geelong had 2 top agers play really well,Bif Joe Pike again played well,for a 203 ruck je is quite agile and gets around the ground well,still would like to see him at VFL level.
Will McLachlan a 186cm top ager dominated up forward good mark good reader of the play ,and good set shot,but another who l would like to see at Vfl level

Lachie Jacques a 184 cm hb/Mid,was very good uses the ball really well,good composure.
Xavier Ivisic a 180cm mid/hf was really good,linked up well,did a lot of hard stuff,good over head and uses it well.

Well drilled side the Falcons.

Murray.
The Whitlock Bros, Jack Whitlock a 200cm key forward Quite agile for his height ,good kick and a decent mark,needs to build up more.
Im not entirely sold on him ,but he will be on a Afl list next year ,He was best for Murray
Matt Whitlock a 197cm key back ,,like his brother he is very agile,and is good in the air ,lacks composure and makes mistakes he shouldn't ,but does have ability .

Rebels vrs Dandenong .

Rebels,,they have 15 player's out injured from there main group.

Jack O Ough a 194 cm forward/wing,,very versatile played well as a wingman with stints up forward ,quite athletic looks a prospect a late 18 year old .
Reggie Mast a 189cm Mid.forward ,,has a great leap and is very hard at it ,reminds me a bit of Townsend the way he plays.

Harley Hicks a 179cm indigenous bottom age looks very promising ,he did well up forward .

Dandenong .
Cooper Hynes a 190cm mid was bog in this game ,really stood out ,he seemed to be everywhere,good in the clearances ,strong marking and hard at it ,depending on what happens at the champs ,must be in contention for first round .

Harvey Langford a 190mid/forward ,another big bodied mid who dominated ,another who's good over head wins the clearances ,looks a decent type as well
Agree with SCOOP on Noah Mraz a 198cm key back looks a very likely type ,very agile,and uses the ball well.has a bit of smarts about him .

I left out a few player's mainly flankers or very outside types out of these games,but repeating myself again,the Champs will sort it all out a lot more,although Vic Country will have quite a few big bodied mids to select from .

Reactions: 3 users