2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Not happy with All Australians who win B&F’s in flag years? Tough crowd.
I thought you mis-typed and meant Nick in your original post. Jagga's a lot more composed in the heat than Josh and much better at winning it inside.

The full replay of the Academy v Footscray is now on the AFL site. For those who don't want to watch it all, this is a good 21-minute selection shot at ground level, up close and personal:

A few observations:
- Ashcroft can be selfish and call for the ball in positions he shouldn't, The passage when he has three disposals and they go nowhere is reminiscent of bad old Lachie Neale.
- Smillie and Jagga the standouts. Quality cameos from O'Sullivan, Lalor and Welsh.
- Welsh and Lalor are beasts, even more so than Smillie. Lombard also well-developed.
- Xavier Lindsay looked to play half-back and was excellent

Reactions: 3 users
INNER BALANCE??
ralph macchio GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Geez of those highlight packages I like Allen and Hynes the most. Big fast boys that can win their own footy at ground level, take a grab, break a tackle, stay composed and kick the odd goal. Will be keen to see how they progress this year. Thanks for posting this stuff by the way. Just great fun and info here.

Reactions: 1 user
FMD there's an issue that could come back to be a monstrous haunt, kid with a back injury before he even gets started. Footy players get hammered physically year after year and lots of dangly appendages can be patched up n fixed over the years. Dodgy back would be the most difficult n risky thing you'd want to be punting on.
Im no expert on bone stress injuries ,but a lot of teens 13-19 get it,,l guess it all depends on how severe the injury is,but Faull is expected back in June, so l guess he is back doing light training after doing the 8-10 weeks of R&R.
He had a small growth spurt over the summer so that may of contributed ,plus he is a good rower so may be just a case of overload on the body

Im no expert on bone stress injuries ,but a lot of teens 13-19 get it,,l guess it all depends on how severe the injury is,but Faull is expected back in June, so l guess he is back doing light training after doing the 8-10 weeks of R&R.
He had a small growth spurt over the summer so that may of contributed ,plus he is a good rower so may be just a case of overload on the body

No more stress on backs than fast bowlers, Patty Cummings had severe issues but look at him now and the career he has had.

Anyway Faull can just join Fauwcett & Mate` Colina in re-hab:peepwall

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
One thing's for sure (and @Scoop will love this): we can really address the midfield this draft. With the hand we're likely to have if we could come away with O'Sullivan and a couple of Lalor, Allan, Smith, Hotton, Lindsay, Draper, Johnson, added to McAuliffe, Sonz, Seth and MoJu, shepherded by Taranto, Hopper, Ross, our future midfield stocks suddenly look pretty good.

Reactions: 8 users
No more stress on backs than fast bowlers, Patty Cummings had severe issues but look at him now and the career he has had.

Anyway Faull can just join Fauwcett & Mate` Colina in re-hab:peepwall
Just imagine the numbers Cummins coulda shoulda woulda had if he didn't lose six or seven years to a dodgy back niggle. Not just a great fast bowler bu one of the games best ever.

One thing's for sure (and @Scoop will love this): we can really address the midfield this draft. With the hand we're likely to have if we could come away with O'Sullivan and a couple of Lalor, Allan, Smith, Hotton, Lindsay, Draper, Johnson, added to McAuliffe, Sonz, Seth and MoJu, shepherded by Taranto, Hopper, Ross, our future midfield stocks suddenly look pretty good.

I totally agree, and if we can pick up 1 or 2 talls to go with them, then we will be in a good position. The number of picks we want (and where they fall) may come down to how many list spots are created.

Thinking the mods need to merge the draft thead & the "what will you need to be happy with this year" thread

Its fair to say we'll be getting the number 2 pick. Can't see us passing anyone on the ladder . Will be a big game when we play North.

Its fair to say we'll be getting the number 2 pick. Can't see us passing anyone on the ladder . Will be a big game when we play North.
All things being equal we have a three game run of Nth Stk Haw late in the year. Put Lynch TT Hopper and Bakes in and we are thereabouts in those games. The next few weeks however are going to be excruciating.

Operation get Josh Smille.

We are crying out for a 194cm midfield beast.

Nah. We have Taranto and Hopper. Smillie is just as slow as them. Get O'Sullivan.

Reactions: 4 users
Operation get Josh Smille.

We are crying out for a 194cm midfield beast.
Nope. If you didn’t gather from tonight that we have a massive gap in our midfield stocks where speed and execution are concerned, I dunno what would prove that to you.

Hopper, Taranto, McAuliffe. That’s enough heavy mids for the next few years. Let’s get some burst, carry and delivery going.

The modern game demands it more than ever.

Reactions: 10 users
Nah. We have Taranto and Hopper. Smillie is just as slow as them. Get O'Sullivan.
Is he slow? Didn’t look slow to me in his last game.

Nope. If you didn’t gather from tonight that we have a massive gap in our midfield stocks where speed and execution are concerned, I dunno what would prove that to you.

Hopper, Taranto, McAuliffe. That’s enough heavy mids for the next few years. Let’s get some burst, carry and delivery going.

The modern game demands it more than ever.
Would you pass up on Tom Green because we already have the players you mentioned?

He's not quick.

Would you pass up on Tom Green because we already have the players you mentioned?
He's not Tom Green. But would I pass up Green for Cotchin? *smile* yeah I would.

Put Guy Smillie and FInn O'Sullivan five metres apart and drop a football dead between them. Do it 10 times. Five times Finn will get it. Of those, twice he will step Guy without a finger on him and lace-out a forward. Three times Guy will get a hand on him but he'll still get an effective disposal to a teammate in space. Three times Guy will get the ball. Once he will break free. Twice he will get away a disposal under pressure. Twice there will be a stalemate.

Kick the ball towards the pair in the air. Ten times. Five times the 182cm Finn will mark it. Twice the 194cm Guy will. The others they'll spoil each other.

Finn will kick the goal. When you need him to. Guy might. Sometimes.

Finn's a better footballer. He hasn't had the chance to show it yet this year, but he is.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

What is the PRE fascination with Tom Green ? Another absolute plodder who just goes up and down the centre corridor waiting for stoppages.

And the answer is a very simple NO - as I’ve been saying repeatedly for the last 18 months. We don’t need a Tom Green, again for the very same reasons as many are pointing out right here and now on this thread.

Reactions: 1 users