2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

This year we have a bucket load of picks
If Baker goes there's another 1st rounder
Need to find quality

Reactions: 1 user
if Lachie Schulz is worth picks 6 & 34, what does that make of Baker who is a much better player IMO

Freo going ok so will probably look at their list slightly overate it and go yeah Baker can get us over the line here two picks.

I reckon they'd probably be aiming to go for Baker and Logan McDonald in the off-season, they have loaded up for this draft for a reason and I don't think its for more draftees. All their 3 picks will likely end up in the teens. I'd ask for the middle of those 3 and Treacy and see whether that deal gets over the line. They can use the other 2 (plus potentially their 1st in 2025 - maybe getting something back) for McDonald.

Put Baker and Logan McDonald into that team, and they would look primed IMO. If they had a 4 pronged forward / ruck mix of Amiss, Jackson, Darcy and McDonald that probably adds something they don't have at the minute, a forward line that can win them a premiership. They have the defence, they have most of the midfield group, they need to improve their forward line and mid depth IMO.

TRAINOR AN EARLY STANDOUT

Chris Cavanagh
A Victorian key defender caught the attention of recruiters as he played a starring role for the AFL Academy side in a key exhibition match on Saturday.
Luke Trainor pushed his draft stocks in a match against VFL side Coburg at Ikon Park, overshadowing a host of top-10 prospects to secure the best-on-ground medal with a huge performance down back.
The 194cm Sandringham Dragons product continually read the play well, was solid one-on-one against some bigger bodied opponents and took some quality intercept marks.
He also provided plenty of drive off half-back for the AFL Academy side, racking up 20 disposals.
Trainor trained with St Kilda during pre-season and has drawn comparisons to Essendon’s Jordan Ridley.
Some believe that he could also be developed into a tall forward in time.
In a draft pool that is expected to be dominated by midfielders at the top of the order, Trainor shapes as one of the leading key position prospects early in the year.
A quartet of father-son prospects also shone brightly in the AFL Academy’s 27-point loss to Coburg.
Levi Ashcroft – who is a father-son option for the Brisbane Lions – was the leading possession winner on the ground with 33 disposals playing a mix of midfield and forward roles.
Ashcroft also logged five clearances and kicked a nice goal in the third quarter.
Carlton father-son prospects Lucas and Ben Camporeale were both prolific across the afternoon.
Lucas racked up 25 disposals and seven rebound-50s playing primarily on the wing, while Ben gathered 24 disposals and two clearances spending his time across half-back and onball.
Adelaide father-son Tyler Welsh, son of Scott Welsh, also caught the eye as a strong marking key forward, finishing with eight disposals, seven marks and a goal.
Other standouts included Gold Coast Suns Academy midfielder Leonardo Lombard (18 disposals, one goal) and Victorian midfielders Jagga Smith (22 disposals) and Josh Smillie (20 disposals).
Late inclusion Taj Hotton – who spent time on a wing and forward – gathered 16 disposals and kicked two goals.
The AFL Academy is set to play a second match against Footscray’s VFL side on April 27 or 28.

My boy Taj Hotton backed up with 26 disposals and a goal:
before getting a late call-up for the Academy v Coburg, impressing with 16 disposals and 2 goals playing wing/half-forward.

Zak Johnson 33 disposals v Calder:
Looks classy, like an old-school centreman in the Geoff Raines mould.

Ezy's boy Jagga Smith will now possibly be on our radar. 28 disposals and 10 clearances v Tassie before 22 in the Academy game. Looks to have filled out from scrawny to slim. Not that damaging here I didn't think:

Scoop's lad Moraes with 20 disposals and 3 goals v Sandy:

Not sure what to make of Guy Smillie. On a scale of Cale Morton to Marcus Bontempelli, he's currently sitting closer to the left for me, but he shows signs that could change. Here he is with 20 and 4 clearances for the Academy v Coburg:

This has to be our Rozzee and Butters draft. Need to jag 2 A grade mids.
Don't agree with 'has to', and 'need'. Need to temper expectations. Has it ever happened before or since? What a draft for Port! In reality, if we can get 1 mid of this quality and another good one, say a Hodge and a Lewis rather than 2 Hodges, that will be a monster win and get us on track. In other words we 'need' a very good draft, it doesn't have to be a mold-breaking a once in 30 years one.

Rozee n Butters, not a bad draft pair. Still reckon Hawforns draft of Roughy, Buddwha n Lewis is the premium rolled gold standard that'll probably never be matched again.