2nd Draft for Petition. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2nd Draft for Petition.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Here is my first draft for Petition Day on July 25th. I know that there will be many more drafts needed before I get this right.

"We the following members who have signed this document are petitioning the club for an Emergency General Meeting to occur no later than the end of September 2004 on the grounds of 'No Confidence' in the current President Clinton Casey and the Board of the Richmond Football Club regarding continued financial losses, instability in its general administration and marketing departments, and continued poor performance of its football department. We petition that all Board members including the President should resign, that nominations for Board positions should immediately be received up until a fortnight before the EGM, and an election for new board members should take place at the EGM."

I'm not sure whether I should time the EGM in September with the reelection, or whether the EGM should ratify the no condidence motion of the petition by all members. In this case the EGM should take place in August with a separate election in September. I would be grateful for your thoughts and comments.

Re: 1st Draft for Petition.

So who's going to run for president? all these former hacks like Daphne and co did a lot o talking but when push came to shove they didn't want to get invloved.

Yeah your right Naff,

Where are the credible guys to stand up for the job??
I keep reading and hearing how 'Its happening behind the scenes' but all lve actually heard is how Benny and Daphne were 'concerned' about the club, this blows up to 'its a challenge'...and it eventuates that they have lunch together and all agree to maintain the status quo!!!
Hardly seems like the dam is being busted by concerned ex-players or high profile RFC connections to me.

Phantom

I applaud what you are trying to do but I share the concerns of many that we are calling for the fall of the Casey regieme without a credible alternative.

IMO those who have been on the board previously are not what we want for a new board but I get the impression that it is them who are the ones beavering away in the background seeking to form a ticket to return. Is there new blood out there that would be willing to dedicate the necessary time to improve the situation. Who are the genuine Richmond people who have the necessary expertise and inclination to run for the board? Do we have any influential supporters any more?

Perhaps David C or Rosy, who seem well versed in this area may be able to shed some light on who we have who are likely candidates and as well as a petition to force an election we should be trying to turn the wheels to seek out viable alternatives.

Having said that don't ask me how as I have no idea. ???

Regarding your draft that is one for your lawyer friend to nut out but personally I like detail. Accordingly list dates. An EGM is to be called for 30 August (Mon after the last round) where a motion for an election to be held on 27 September......

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Good luck.

Many thanks JnBD.

It is my believing that there won't be a need for the petition.

Although I think things are being organised I don't like posting that because I don't have any concrete details.

I believe August or September is far too late for an EGM.

Every day we wait is a day too long in my opinion.

I applaud Phantom for being proactive.

There would be nothing worse than everyone wishing for action but noone making the effort.

I really wish we knew that something was definitely being organised for a proper challenge so it can be decided by the members, not the people in power.

Hi Rosy,
Saying that something secret doesn't happen and the petition took place on July 25th, should we aim for an EGM for Sunday August 8 or 15?

Also, I'm not discounting the factor that someone else might want to run with the flag and have the petition day in my absence at the MCG match against Essendon on July 10. That means an EGM could take place in late July.

Any volunteers would be welcome.

The earlier the better Phantom.

The end of August is the end of the season and I'd like a member elected board to be there before then ready to make the most important decisions our club has had to have made for years.

We have to get things right.

Look everyone it only takes 3 people, a card table, the petition with signing pages and a few pens, and some phoning to SEN, 3AW & ABC during the week before the match.

It would be great if we could have some volunteers for July 10th.

If you really love the Tigers you'll volunteer.

You can phone me on 0438110560
or e-mail me on [email protected]

Hi Laff,
Same thing happened at Carlton.
My memory goes back to some Carlton coterie member named Markowski or Marchevski or something similar starting the petition.
He got the numbers.
That was ratified by the members at an EGM.
A provisional board was put in place as nominees started coming forward.
Finally Collins came in with a democratically elected board.
Same should happen here.

I think the right people will emerge once the EGM has been called Laff.

I too thought we were better to wait for the ticket to emerge.
BUT As posters above have said, We need to get the new board and Pres. in ASAP to ensure that the right decisions are made for next year. These include: CEO and Football Department(excepting G Miller and D Flood).

The longer we wait, the further the club sinks. :mad:

Having said that, I believe that if there is an EGM and a spill of the board, current board member John Mathies should seek re-election or be included in the take over ticket. As he was fairly voted in by members at the last board election and has only served for a few months. The problems at the club can hardly be contributed in any way towards him.
IMO (and obviously in that of the majority who voted at the last board election) Mathies has the sort of qualities we need on the board.

I think I might be able to help you Phantom. ;)

Phantom, my advise to you is to take the public relations rather than the legal approach.

Have a petition signed by as many members as possible expressing no confidence in the RFC board. You dont need to call for an EGM. If you get 10k signatures, every newspaper wil be covering you, Caro and Smiths pens will be writing furiously, and this will put enormous pressure on the board to call for an EGM itself.

If a spitter can dominate the news for 2 weeks, so will this.

You may also want to get in touch with Scwabby, but you'll need a fair number of signatures before he'll take it seriously.

Good luck

Yep - I'm in. Where do I sign

As Phanto say's - spill all board positions and then have people apply. If there is a ticket being formed they will stick their head up and be judged on their merits. If they are worthy of running the club then they will be elected by us members. This way we will give anyone and everyone who has the passion and desire to put their hand up a fair chance, and not just one ticket which also promotes a mateship approach.

Thanks Tigerdog and Harry.
I appreciate your help.
I'm going to call the RFC to get a look at the constitution now.

I have posted this same message on the other thread about EGM "Advice from Carlton" or some such title.

This is from a post of Rosy's (hope you don't mind Rosy) but subject is also covered on a board which is titled (believe it or not!) "Election and AGM". Anyhow, here goes:

Extraordinary general meeting
« on: March 23, 2004, 09:46:35 am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from an e-mail from David Clayton. I'm sure he won't mind.

From the club's articles of association:
--------
6.4 Extraordinary General Meeting

6.4.1 Subject to section 248 D of the Act, on a requisition in writing signed by at least one hundred members with their addresses and their membership ticket numbers, being delivered to the Secretary, he shall within twenty-one days from receiving such requisition call an Extraordinary General Meeting of the members of the Club by giving twenty-one days notice of the same by advertisement in the daily press. The
requisition must state precisely the objects of such meeting including any resolution to be proposed and such objects shall appear in the advertisement in the same or a more abbreviated form.

6.4.2 The Board shall have power to call an Extraordinary General Meeting of the club whenever it may have matters under consideration upon which it
deems necessary or desirable to obtain the ruling of the members. The same notice shall be given as provided for an Extraordinary General Meeting called on a requisition of members.
-------
13 DISQUALIFICATION OF MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The office of a member of the Board shall be ipso facto vacated:

(a) If he becomes bankrupt.

(b) If he be declared lunatic or be confined in a lunatic asylum or in gaol as a lunatic.

(c) If he be convicted of any felony or misdemeanour.

(d) If he becomes from any cause incapable of attending to his duties.

(e) If he commits any act in breach of any of these Articles or the by-laws of the Club rendering his membership liable to forfeiture or suspension.

(f) If he shall be absent from three consecutive Board meetings without the consent of the Board.

(g) If the Members by Ordinary Resolution at either an Annual General Meeting or Extraordinary General Meeting vote to disqualify a member of the Board, even though the member's term has not expired. The Members may then at any such meeting vote to appoint another party to the office of member of the Board.
--------

All it takes is 100 members signatures on a petition to get an EGM, and then at least 200 people to be there to form a quorum for it to be valid.

The whole board could be replaced by the votes (including proxies) at that meeting.

The board Roar34 refers to can be found here:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?board=18.0

There are some old discussions there that are interesting and relevant. :)

Yes, thanks TD, I should have posted that address. Actually there's a particular thread on that board where there was a discussion with David C about our constitution. Might come up under the "search" thingy.