Propose July 25th MCG match as Petition Day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Propose July 25th MCG match as Petition Day

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I propose July 25th MCG match as Petition Day.
I will be calling a lawyer friend of mine who is also a RFC member to draw up a petition that is worded so that the terms of the EGM are specified correctly.
If the wording of the petition is not correct then we could have waisted our time completely. The EGM has to reflect the terms of the petition that the members have signed.
I will be travelling to the USA between June 24th and July 18th. I propose that we have the Petition Day the first match at the MCG after I return.
The aim would be to have an EGM in the first or second week of September, remembering that all members have to be given adequate notice prior to the EGM.
I would be grateful for your responses?

Sorry I really don't understand this Phantom.
Would you mind explaining the aim of the petition and EGM to me please.
I can't see the point of holding one unless an alternative ticket is offered.
Is it just to demand explanations or is there another reason I'm unaware of?
I think the silence from the club has been terrible and the only way to get answers seems to be if they are opposed.
I have no great faith we'll ever be told the truth otherwise.

The aim of the petition would be similar to the one signed at Carlton last year which would be for a no confidence motion in the current Board, for a clearing of all positions on the Board, and that a free and unencumbered election of a new board take place, again much in the way that it happened at Carlton.
Once things start rolling, I'm sure tickets will start rolling out of the woodwork.
I believe this is the feeling that we all have, ie no confidence in the current administration and a need for a clearing out of all suspicion.
The most important thing is that everyone gets their say.

Thanks Phantom,
I didn't take much notice of Carlton and am not that sure how things work.
I'll follow with interest. I think the board has to be elected fairly by the members. It's a scarey situation to have directors hand picked by those in charge.

Yeh Rosy,
That's the point.
Clubs are owned by members, they're not privately owned.
In the last year the club has resembled a Mexican dictatorship more than an efficient AFL club. It starts from the top, and that's what is our duty as members to restore, a free, efficient and democratic leadership.

Not sure about this proposal Phantom.

I say we wait until a new ticket is formed (apparently there are a couple of groups looking at making a challenge, of which i would personally like them to get together and have the one challenge with the best people in place).

I can't see the point of getting rid of the current Board if there is no one waiting in the wings to replace them at that time.

As much as I want Casey and co out of the place, I think we need to wait until the better option is ready to take over. Let's be patient on this one, we can't stuff this up.

Unless of course, you are part of the new ticket and want to get the ball rolling??

I am not part of a ticket.
I want to get the ball rolling.
Blind Freddie can see that the club is being eaten up from inside at the moment.
I've studied enough history to know that the tickets will start coming out once the ball starts rolling.
That's why I nominated petition day as July 25th, I could have said this weekend at the MCG, but July 25th is plenty of time to organise a petition signing. And September is more than enough time for tickets to organise themselves.
Remember, a coach should be appointed at season's end, so this should all be done by that time.
If it's left to the normal timing of the AGM in November/December, well a coach won't be appointed until Jan/Feb, far too late.
Or maybe Cancer Casey might appoint his own coach before time who members may disapprove of.
It's just that the whole system should be seen to be open, honest and fair and if last year's AGM is an example then currently I have great doubts.

Phantom,

I think it's up to the new ticket to get the necessary members signatures to force an EGM (this will be no problem).

I agree the EGM should be conducted as soon as the season is over so coaching appointements, draft prepparations etc can take place. I am sure the people putting together a ticket to challenge CC are aware of the tight timelines.

I don't believe this process is up to the members like us who are not part of the coup.

Things are happening behind the scenes so don't be disillusioned. Changes will take place and I actually don't think there will be much bloodletting, people know it's time for a change. Let's be patient, the wheels are in motion.....

Boss,
Sounds like you're in the know.
I've been honest and open about my thoughts.
Now, I think, is time that you spilled the beans about what is in store and when it will happen.
I await, with anticipation.

Surely an EGM and a new board needs to be elected well before the end of the season doesn't it ?

I say this because: a) the new board needs to make the new coaching appointment; b) it'll need lead time for this and c) any prospective coach also needs to see the RFC as settled as possible BEFORE he considers the position e.g. at least 2-3 months of the new regime being in control will need to have transpired.

Phantom,

I will sign up...

Personally.. I think we should sign the petition this weekend. Give three months to prepare a ticket.

The board can only do more damage in its current state.

Let the AFL or a third party run the club until the end of the year. They couldnt do worse. Maybe we will get an unbiased fair approach to the running of the club.

Who knows what damage Casey is doing and how much he is trying to cover it up. Probably the reason he hasnt resigned is that it is a 4 million debt or something worse.

Why shouldnt this process not be up to the members. For 20 years, we have had rejects running the club. I reckon its time the members had some influence. Topple the monarchy. Viva La Revolution. Let us poor plebs, let the proletariat take control of the club and give it to someone worthy.

I agree,
I wish I'd proposed this a fortnight ago with a petition day of this Sunday at the mcg, but it's no good getting everyone to sign a shoddy document that has no legal significance.
Better to wait till this is done properly for July 25th.

I reckon your right Mr Springstein. I've got the impression that even nut Casey had resigned to the fact that he was going the last couple of times I've seen him speak.He always talks of people willing to devote enough time to the job and I've read this as him saying "if you're going to get rid of me ,fine.But make sure my replacement is the right man for the job"

Phantom said:
Boss,
Sounds like you're in the know.
I've been honest and open about my thoughts.
Now, I think, is time that you spilled the beans about what is in store and when it will happen.
I await, with anticipation.

C'mon Phantom, do you honestly expect me to disclose such information on a public forum???

Things are moving but they take time.

If you feel the need to get a petition signed to force an EGM go right ahead. But your asking someone to sign something to get rid of CC and his Board but you don't have an alternative.

I don't think I'd be signing it as much as I want Casey to go. I want to see what/who my options are (although most people would be better then the current clowns) before I go to an EGM.

That's OK Boss,
I expected that to be your answer. If you need my help I'm only too glad to give it. Attached is the following letter. Of course I have blanked out the name of the lawyer for much the same confidentiality reasons as your own.

Hi XXXXXXX,
Michael Pahoff here, hope you're well.
Group of us are interested in having a petition day on July 25th at the MCG.
The purpose of the petition is to put forward a no confidence motion in the RFC Board and via the RFC constitution for an emergency general meeting (EGM) to clear the Board for a free and open election.
As you would know the terminology of the petition is important because the scope of the EGM will be confined to the wording of the petition.
The fault with the Carlton petition last year was that it wasn't worded properly and so it didn't achieve what the organisers wanted it to.
I've come to you, for your help, as both of us are passionate Tiger supporters, to get a properly written document that will stand up legally and will make all current board members resign so that a free and open election can take place.
Regards,
Michael

Thank you for your wishes Boss.
The main thing for everybody out there is to have their say, and of course to get everyone's support come petition day.
I value your comments.

At this stage I'd have to agree with Boss. As much as I'd like to have El Presidente toppled, I'd like to see a credible, well organised alternative offered. I don't see any point in calling the meeting until we've got something to vote for.

Good luck, though, Phanto - maybe this will bring them out of the woodwork.

Viva la Revolution !

Unless there's a ticket that has come foward, I dont see the point of calling for a EGM.

When the group at Carlton did the petition, there was already a ticket prepared that they were pushing for.

I'd also like to see an end to this board however, I also want to make sure we dont replace them with another board with no creditability.

Once there is a ticket in place and we know who is in the ticket, I'd be more than happy to stand out of the MCG on match day and get signatures for this petition on your behalf Phantom.