A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4 said:
WMG-Logo-300-300x150.png

welcome

Any idea on name and colors Ian?

Interesting to see their initial crowd numbers. Gonna be tough as football followers would already be aligned with victory or heart and will need some supporters to defect as alot did when heart came on board.

JoMamma said:
Apparently the claim being made is that Lou Sticca is the major mover and shaker behind the Western Melbourne Group.

Those of us that knew this game existed pre-2006 will know this jerk off and the way he runs his business. Its always been about Lou.

Who can forget his backing/part ownership of Carlton Soccer Club in the '90's.

Was the first to jump off that sinking ship.
It is a joke.

They won the race purely because they paid the most money for their licence. It had nothing to do with their ability to actually improve the A - League. From what I heard they threatened the FFA that if they were not awarded the licence, they will pull out of any future backing of money towards the FFA.

Those behind this consortium are just there for their own interests.

Furthermore, they will be playing out of Kardinia Park for the next 4 years. What a great look that would be. ::)

And people wonder why this league is constantly ridiculed. But then again its no surprise with Gallop the main face of it all.

Smoking Aces said:
It is a joke.

They won the race purely because they paid the most money for their licence. It had nothing to do with their ability to actually improve the A - League. From what I heard they threatened the FFA that if they were not awarded the licence, they will pull out of any future backing of money towards the FFA.

Those behind this consortium are just there for their own interests.

Furthermore, they will be playing out of Kardinia Park for the next 4 years. What a great look that would be. ::)

And people wonder why this league is constantly ridiculed. But then again its no surprise with Gallop the main face of it all.

There is no formal agreement with Kardinia Park as yet.

How do you grant a license to a bid that doesnt know, with complete certainty, where they will be playing their home games?

And I still can’t understand why they limited expansion to only 2 clubs which meant more of the same for Melb and Sydney.

Missed opportunity to beat AFL into the Canberra mkt and Tassie also. I reckon these two locations would match Kardinia Park for crowd numbers.

They could have then increased the comp by 2 teams per year for 2 years if they wanted to grow slowly. Gallop has no idea imo

JoMamma said:
There is no formal agreement with Kardinia Park as yet.

How do you grant a license to a bid that doesnt know, with complete certainty, where they will be playing their home games?
Great point.

Just adds further to the debacle.

year of the tiger said:
And I still can’t understand why they limited expansion to only 2 clubs which meant more of the same for Melb and Sydney.

Missed opportunity to beat AFL into the Canberra mkt and Tassie also. I reckon these two locations would match Kardinia Park for crowd numbers.

They could have then increased the comp by 2 teams per year for 2 years if they wanted to grow slowly. Gallop has no idea imo

The administration have zero foresight.

Harry said:

name and colours are still to be decided by the fans via community forums. I have been involved in their social media fan groups and black and teal blue seems to be popular amongst them. as is gold. as for name, it won't be Tarneit. Werribee or Wyndham. They want it to be broader name so it appeals to people in the west of melbourne and west of victoria, which is their target demographic. It will have a variation of West in the name (Western, Westside, Westgate), but thats as much as I can tell ya.

Smoking Aces said:
It is a joke.

Maybe you should ask me first before making these comments. I am extremely well informed on the whole expansion process and I can answer any questions you have.

Firstly, yes there was a bit of a bidding war for licences and the FFA did favour the higher bidders. which is a common sense approach considering the circumstances. There is a lack of revenue coming to the ALeague right now. The game needs a short term funding boost to help the bottm line of the existing clubs, bring bigger names to the game and to improve promotion and marketing, which is non-existant. But money wasn't the number 1 factor. If that were the case, the team that bidded the most money (Southern Expansion at $20 million) would have won.

And secondly, WMG did not threaten the FFA with backing out altogether if they were unsuccessful this time around. the stadium site was originally earmarked to be a fitness and leisure centre by the Wyndham council. if WMG were unsuccessful, the council wasn't willing to leave such valuable land idle for 5-10 years in the hope they would get a licence and build a stadium on the site. they were going to revert to their original plan of the fitness and leisure centre. this means the WMG bid was always ever gonna be a "do or die" one time thing.

Smoking Aces said:

it will be a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 3 years at Kardinia Park. yes, it will be short term pain, but it'll mean little over the course of the next 50 years. And playing in Geelong for 2-3 years will give them the chance to capture a fanbase in Geelong. again, that can only benefit them in the long term.

year of the tiger said:

when this whole process started a couple of years ago, i argued that the next 2 teams should be Hobart and Canberra. I ridiculed Gallop's "fish where the fishes are" statement thinking we needed to get in the markets that are starved of professional sport. But that was before I understood all the metrics.

I will list 3 of the main metrics here:
1. The TV deal with Fox Sports includes an extra $5 million per season for the life of the deal (4 years left after this season) on the condition that the next 2 teams are from either Melbourne, Sydeny or Brisbane.
2. by 2030, it is projected that the population of the western suburbs of Melbourne will double. which is roughly 3 times of what Canberra's population is today. I can't see how this can be ignored tbh.
3. Canberra get the lowest crowds in the NRL.

One thing I do agree on is the safe, almost gutless timeline the FFA went with. they could have gone with 2, 3 or 4 teams. they could have gone with 2 next year and 2 the year after. the 1+1 option the choose is really dumb as we will have to enure unecessary byes next season. it was also weak of them to hold off admitting MSWS next season so that WSW could have 1 year of clear air in their new stadium. Its 50km from Parramatta to Campbelltown FFS.

But I will add a sidenote to this: the FFA will have the right to boot out Wellington after the 2019-2020 season if they don't meet certain criteria (which they are failing at). Many poeple (including me) are of the opinion that Canberra are next in line and are likely to replace Wellington in 2 years. There are rumours about that the Canberra bid team has already been advised of this.

Thanks Ian.

Good point re attracting supporters from geelong while playing there for the first 2 years.

Harry said:

Interesting to see their initial crowd numbers. Gonna be tough as football followers would already be aligned with victory or heart and will need some supporters to defect as alot did when heart came on board.

As Victory are navy and white (Cartoon), I wouldn't be surprised to see a Juventus feel to this new team and go black & white (Chokewood) to hint rivalry.

TigerForce said:
As Victory are navy and white (Cartoon), I wouldn't be surprised to see a Juventus feel to this new team and go black & white (Chokewood) to hint rivalry.

only people on a richmond footy forum refer to Victory as "Carlton." what I'm trying to say is that black and white will almost certainly not be considered because those colours resemble an AFL team and would narrow down their potential supporter base. and besides, its my understanding that MSWS is seriously looking at those colours. they will be basing themsleves at campbelltown stadium, which was the former home of the wests magpies in the NRL.

Ian4 said:
when this whole process started a couple of years ago, i argued that the next 2 teams should be Hobart and Canberra. I ridiculed Gallop's "fish where the fishes are" statement thinking we needed to get in the markets that are starved of professional sport. But that was before I understood all the metrics.

I will list 3 of the main metrics here:
1. The TV deal with Fox Sports includes an extra $5 million per season for the life of the deal (4 years left after this season) on the condition that the next 2 teams are from either Melbourne, Sydeny or Brisbane.
2. by 2030, it is projected that the population of the western suburbs of Melbourne will double. which is roughly 3 times of what Canberra's population is today. I can't see how this can be ignored tbh.
3. Canberra get the lowest crowds in the NRL.

One thing I do agree on is the safe, almost gutless timeline the FFA went with. they could have gone with 2, 3 or 4 teams. they could have gone with 2 next year and 2 the year after. the 1+1 option the choose is really dumb as we will have to enure unecessary byes next season. it was also weak of them to hold off admitting MSWS next season so that WSW could have 1 year of clear air in their new stadium. Its 50km from Parramatta to Campbelltown FFS.

But I will add a sidenote to this: the FFA will have the right to boot out Wellington after the 2019-2020 season if they don't meet certain criteria (which they are failing at). Many poeple (including me) are of the opinion that Canberra are next in line and are likely to replace Wellington in 2 years. There are rumours about that the Canberra bid team has already been advised of this.

Fair enough Ian.

I reckon on your 3 metrics
1) teams from Tassie, Canberra and 1 each from Melb and Sydney still ticks this condition
2) this strategy is to narrow and theoretical - for example you often hear in business that if you could only get 0.1% of the Chinese mkt then success beckons but it may be very hard / impossible to do this in reality. This is the approach / excuse the AFL give in defence of their GWS and GC expansions but just look at their crowd and membership numbers that demonstrates they were pretty naive imo and I cringe every time they bring out this excuse. I see Gallop as one of the sports ceo boys club and they all think the same way (add Sunderland to this list) - they are not a very visionary group.
3) I don’t know but is this a Canberra thing or NRL thing as the crowds across that sector are pretty poor.

Ian4 said:
only people on a richmond footy forum refer to Victory as "Carlton." what I'm trying to say is that black and white will almost certainly not be considered because those colours resemble an AFL team and would narrow down their potential supporter base. and besides, its my understanding that MSWS is seriously looking at those colours. they will be basing themsleves at campbelltown stadium, which was the former home of the wests magpies in the NRL.
When football teams were established in the UK and Europe in the old days - so pre the modern corporate, manufactured, plastic-fantastic "franchise" era. There was no such thing as "focus groups" or other marketing garb. Sometimes they did things like pick colours from the coat of arms of the town where the team played, rather than picking colours from a fart in the breeze. Thinking of the colours on the Wyndham Council logo, you could go with something inspired by Aston Villa/West Ham/Burnley type of strip. Not that I think that is likely to happen.

Maybe they can go with a colour scheme resembling the maroon and blue of Wist Erm or Burnley or Villa, or go Red and White stripes like a Sunderland or Southampton or Stoke.

Or a white strip ala Leeds or Derby.

Maybe Werribee could be black and yellow in similar vain to their VFL side asnd in a Pattern like Borussia Dortmund is it

craig said:
Maybe they can go with a colour scheme resembling the maroon and blue of Wist Erm or Burnley or Villa, or go Red and White stripes like a Sunderland or Southampton or Stoke.

Or a white strip ala Leeds or Derby.

Maybe Werribee could be black and yellow in similar vain to their VFL side asnd in a Pattern like Borussia Dortmund is it

Red and white stripes are reserved for Heart when the Manchester City experiment ends and Melb Heart moves to the northern suburbs.

Don't know why clubs don't go for green in their colors. The AFL are against green also. Green and white like celtic and sporting lisbon tops look great imo. Or green and white stripes.

"West" has been overused - GWS, West Coast, West Sydney Wanderers, now West Melb and South West Sydney. No other option really if you wanna capture the region but its a bit meh.

Maybe they could just call themselves the Norlane Numbats.

Could become irrelevant quicker than the Gold Coast United and North Qld whatevers they were called.

Ian4 said:

It's time for a rare colour in soccer teams around the world: green

Plymouth Argyle and Celtic are the only teams with green that I can think of.

Black and Yellow are the colors of many Werribee sporting teams, but I suspect they will want something different to appeal to the entire region.

6 wins in a row for the boys in blue. I think we're gonna sh!t the league in.

Panthera Tigris said:
When football teams were established in the UK and Europe in the old days - so pre the modern corporate, manufactured, plastic-fantastic "franchise" era. There was no such thing as "focus groups" or other marketing garb.

Melbourne Heart - the fans had no real say over colours, name or anything like that. No community forums or anything that engaged their potential fan base. I think they did have a vote in the Herald Sun, but they ended up going with the working title anyway.

WSW - the fans chose everything from name to colours to home ground through extensive consultation.

Which one worked better?

joegarra said:
Black and Yellow are the colors of many Werribee sporting teams, but I suspect they will want something different to appeal to the entire region.

A lot of local sports teams have gold as part of their colours. Werribee. Williamstown. Altona, Yarraville, Spotswood, Seddon. It seems to be a common colour in the west. I saw a mock up of a gold and white kit last night that looked mint.