A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Re: A League Football 2006-2007 (merged)

Yes I was there with my 12 year old son --our first game of A League. Pity no goals -BUT when we talked about it on the way home -we both agreed we would go again. So see the Dome set up for soccer seems really spooky when you see it live for the first time. The Melbourne members set themselves up at each end of the ground singing chants to each other-and when they all start jumping up and down-it really is a sight to see-a whole stadium bouncing--these guys really do "go off". We really admired the guts of the couple of hunrdred Sydney fans who set themselves up in two bays right amongst the Melbourne faithfull-20 cops and security guards standing shot gun between them-and each side spent the night chanting and pointing--it was great. My son has decided that Archie Thompson has alot of Delidio about him--that explosive pace of a step or two.
We bhad to grab the record and check when the Sydney team was individually announced as they came on the park----"position midfied, appearances 14, goals 2---Name -"Ufuk Talay" -----------I kid you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

disappointing game but soccer was the winner. i was there and had a ball. i even joined the "livewire club" where you get discounts on food, beverage and merchandise in the livewire precinct

Victory appears to play better away from the Dome where they are unbeaten.

They have a perfect away record this year.

tannerztigers said:
VICTORY AND SYDNEY PLAY OUT A 0-0 DRAW
:sleeping :sleeping :sleeping (or see "Apathy" thread)

New Zealand look like being out of the comp next year.My tip is a side from Townsville will come in.

mb64 said:
LidsandBling said:
maybe woolongong
Yep,the other alternative.I still favour Nth Qld

Would be happy with either - I have a soft spot for Wollongong as I lived there for a few years and went to a few Wolves games. Nth Qnslnd is further advanced with bid and setup though I believe.

First of all, there should never have been a team from New Zealand in the "A-league" in the first place. They can't qualify for the Asian Champions League because they are not based in the Asian Zone. They were only included because a guy with a Rugby Union background was given assurances a team from NZ would be financially viable. They've had other sporting teams in the NRL and NBL (plus the old NSL) and none of these teams have been entirely successful.

LidsandBling said:
maybe woolongong

My problem with a new team from Woollongong is that 3 of the 8 teams are already from NSW. How did Frank Lowy let this happen? From what I understand, there are a lot of members from Northern NSW in the NSW Soccer Federation who hold a lot of clout, but one team in Northern NSW is enough. Don't you think it's strange that there are 2 teams on the Central Coast of NSW, but only 1 team each in Melbourne and Sydney?? :-\

O'Neill and Lowy have done some remarkable things for Australian Soccer and should be highly commended. But the FFA have a bit of fine tuning to do, and they should start by rectifying my above 2 points. IMHO, in 2010, there should be 10 teams in the A-league as follows:
- Melbourne Victory
- Sydney FC
- Adelaide United
- Perth Glory
- Brisbane Bears (re-named because Queensland Roar is a shocking name)
- Central Coast Mariners
- West Sydney Jets (relocated from Newcastle)
- North Queensland Barriers
- Gold Coast City
- Victoria Tigers (based in Melbourne or Geelong... or possibly Richmond? ;D)

There cannot ever be anymore than 10 teams in the A-League as it will dilute the talent pool. All teams should also have an under 20 youth team to pay as a curtain raiser (for the teams to develop their own kids).

Over to you Ben Buckley...

going tomorrow night. can't wait. should be another big crowd. did anyone say cricket? stuff the cricket... not interested

Ian4 said:
going tomorrow night. can't wait. should be another big crowd. did anyone say cricket? stuff the cricket... not interested

Well said!

be interesting to see if sarkies, who i think is a gun, can back up last weeks performance with another good game. i hope ferrante gets some game time, i think he's an underrated player for us.

i thought broxham played well last week when he got on the pitch, not a lot of him, but he goes pretty hard. the axel foley of the victory perhaps

I hope all the changing teams and resting players isn't going to hinder us, or even worse, we start a form slump at this stage of the season? :-\

While I don't mind coaches resting a player here or there.....we aren't in Europe, we aren't playing 3 games inside a week, and we had a Christmas break as well.
The season is shorter than an AFL season, the games are shorter, and of course the pysical contact is a lot less.

I remember Adelaide doing something similar last season when they finished as minor Premiers, and they didn't even make the Grand Final......and who can forget the Crows in the AFL 'tapering' their training towards the finals, and not making the Grand Final either?

I have also been a detractor of Rafa continuously changing Liverpool's starting lineup (99 games in a row of rotations and changes), and the trouble we have had of showing any coherency and consistency throughout the season.

My question is, was merrick right in 'resting' players and changing things now?

Doolz85 said:
be interesting to see if sarkies, who i think is a gun, can back up last weeks performance with another good game. i hope ferrante gets some game time, i think he's an underrated player for us.

i thought broxham played well last week when he got on the pitch, not a lot of him, but he goes pretty hard. the axel foley of the victory perhaps

Good analogy D-man. Broxham definitely looks the goods, nearly scored a cracker against Queensland. Looks very assured - a natural leader and playmaker - impressive for someone of his stature.

Great understudy for Muscat and Brebs in midfield.

Liverpool said:
I hope all the changing teams and resting players isn't going to hinder us, or even worse, we start a form slump at this stage of the season? :-\

My question is, was merrick right in 'resting' players and changing things now?

Hard to say Pool-man. A bit different from the Liverpool situation however given we are top of the League and cannot be displaced. I also heard they are doing very intense training at the moment a la Hiddink prior to the Cup - might explain some of the flatness we showed against the Roar.

I also think that football at that level has a big mental component - if the Victory are switched off by 5% knowing the result does not matter, then that can affect the play and outcome. Notice they really fired up after the equaliser and nearly scored a couple more times. Also, the young keeper from Perth had a blinder - we might have been 2:0 up at the half if he had not been so on form.

Still, I reckon Ernie will want to see more commitment against the Novocastrians this Friday. I reckon Sydney are in trouble as well - they'll make the finals but we will play Adelaide or Queensland in the finals.

ooohha trip to QLD would be nice, id much prefer flying up there than to adelaide