AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
its very tricky;

wilmotts action is smart; he braces for and bumps Hayward in the head primarily, then goes for the ball. kind of concurren, but I think its a 1-2 decision in his mind but motivated out of self-preservation, not intent to hurt.

how do you protect Hayward? penalise him for going for the ball? 'play-on' and log it in an archive to defend against legal action if his brain goes mushy?

its really hard and I dont have the answer.

but what I do have is an understanding of how the answer comes about;

strategically, consistently, informed by experts, in consultation with clubs, communicated to all stakeholders including members and fans, and regulated effectively.

is AFL are capable of that?

zero chance

a heap of under qualified, overpaid, bozo's who clearly aren't there on merit, who learned bullying entitled leadership at boys grammar , foster an organisational corporate stonewall response system, and are answerable only to Kerry stokes and Rupert Murdoch
It's only tricky because the mantra 'the head is sacrosanct' has excused individuals from the responsibility to protect themselves first and foremost. Because it is the AFL, the AFL protects the head by encouraging players to put their head in harm's way.

We have to stop putting the onus on players executing correct technique to protect those who recklessly refuse to protect themselves. If I run into traffic it's not the truck driver's fault if I get run over.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's only tricky because the mantra 'the head is sacrosanct' has excused individuals from the responsibility to protect themselves first and foremost. Because it is the AFL, the AFL protects the head by encouraging players to put their head in harm's way.

We have to stop putting the onus on players executing correct technique to protect those who recklessly refuse to protect themselves. If I run into traffic it's not the truck driver's fault if I get run over.

it will be very unfortunate, but very interesting legally,

if Joel Selwood gets the elephantiases of the brain

the AFL might as well put Daicos and Ashcroft and Ginnavan's name on their rooms in The Tom Stewart Greatest Bloke and Fairest Man Ever Care Facility now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
it will be very unfortunate, but very interesting legally,

if Joel Selwood gets the elephantiases of the brain
Most of Selwood's too high frees came from tackles that started legal and he shrugged/wriggled to make slip high. A sneaky trick that he should not have been rewarded for, but not a lot of damage to the scone done.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
but not a lot of damage to the scone done.

Huh?

the scar tissue on his eyebrows is about 120mm thick.

he could play Korg

in Korg 70000BC

if I was him,Id be tattooing my address on the back of my hand

him and Jon Brown would be hard to split

for 'man most likely to get the encephalosis' I reckon.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Wtf was Hayward doing,??
Half hearted attempt to pick the ball up.
And I reckon he over played the hit.
If Wilmot gets suspended, game might be close to unwatchable

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Huh?

the scar tissue on his eyebrows is about 120mm thick.

he could play Korg

in Korg 70000BC

if I was him,Id be tattooing my address on the back of my hand

him and Jon Brown would be hard to split

for 'man most likely to get the encephalosis' I reckon.
Yeah but that wasn't caused by his Selwooding. He did recklessly go head-first into packs as well.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Don't disagree with the suspension (expected it) so long as it's applied consistently. Which of course it won't be.
I still think expectations on players now is getting tougher & tougher with the line forever creeping.

Yep - SSP sanction was correct.

Therfore, if someone lines someone defenseless up and hips them in the head and knocks them out in 2024,

Its 4 weeks

If you accidentally knock someone out in say a tackle? Its less

If you drive your fist into someones face and knock them out, its more.

Consistency and relativity isnt that hard is it?

Its the potential to cause injury when it gets muddy,

And also the media muddy the *smile* out of the waters.
Thats an easy fix; if a player is cited, media
Cant discuss.

Even if the player cited is the best bloke in barwon heads and sends a
Semi trailer full of flowers
And choccies to the victim
And phones their nana in tears.

media cannot prejudice the tribunal.

Coaches cant criticise umpires; media cant comment on case before tribunal.

'Hey Dil, kerry here, yeah listen maaaaaattttteeee, i pay $1b for the tv, i want to discuss hits'

'Yeah ok kezza'

AFL ruling: community radio may not discuss matters before the tribunal under any, repeat any circumstances. unless they involve marlion pickett even running near a daicos in a threatening manner, and in circumstances whereby someone from the AFL , or a person or persons who attend school or played more than one (1) quarter at old Xavs, played golf with someone who wants to disciss a matter. If the player cited is a good bloke and/or went to a gps school, the media may discuss how they didnt do anything wrong. However, this might change sometimes, depending on a few things which shall be determined by someone

Last edited:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
how much of the AFLs confusion and sphincter tightening is about the concussion lawsuits?

is that still happening?

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
how much of the AFLs confusion and sphincter tightening is about the concussion lawsuits?

is that still happening?

its all about lawsuits.

they give as much *smile* about the players

as Nero did about Gladiators.

If The AfL did regulate gladiators, they would have ordered

"all Lions must be de-clawed"

and then de-clawed some lions and pulled the fingernails off some gladiators

Say 'well announce lion swallowing numbers onnthe winter solstice'

And never announce them, put a tiger to the sword, and tick it off

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
its all about lawsuits.

they give as much *smile* about the players

as Nero did about Gladiators.

If The AfL did regulate gladiators, they would have ordered

"all Lions must be de-clawed"

and then de-clawed some lions and pulled the fingernails off some gladiators

Say 'well announce lion swallowing numbers onnthe winter solstice'

And never announce them, put a tiger to the sword, and tick it off
nice work eZy.. you're on fire lately btw ...🏆

• Haha

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
terrible 'method' from Hayward... reminds me of Keith v Lynch in the stupidity stakes
Wilmot does everything right, if Hayward does the same, all is sweet ..

'do not lead with the head'

it's play on ...
He should be suspended. Just like drunk drivers, it's reasonably foreseeable that if you have a poor technique you might come off second best.

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Finally someone says what I've been saying for years

Couldn't agree more. Hayward in danger of hurting himself. Wilmot did the right thing.

This is basically the Cotchin - Shiel incident all over again. Cotch turns to the side as you should and Shiel goes in head first. Cotch's shoulder collects Shiel's head. It's seems the AFL have learned nothing.

If both players turn to the side they bump shoulders and play on. If they're both turned side on and one player gets the other player high then fair enough, that's a free.

Bear in mind Duckwood would have cost himself about 500 free kicks if he turned side on instead of leading with his head.

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
its very tricky;

wilmotts action is smart; he braces for and bumps Hayward in the head primarily, then goes for the ball. kind of concurren, but I think its a 1-2 decision in his mind but motivated out of self-preservation, not intent to hurt.

how do you protect Hayward? penalise him for going for the ball? 'play-on' and log it in an archive to defend against legal action if his brain goes mushy?

its really hard and I dont have the answer.

but what I do have is an understanding of how the answer comes about;

strategically, consistently, informed by experts, in consultation with clubs, communicated to all stakeholders including members and fans, and regulated effectively.

is AFL are capable of that?

zero chance

a heap of under qualified, overpaid, bozo's who clearly aren't there on merit, who learned bullying entitled leadership at boys grammar , foster an organisational corporate stonewall response system, and are answerable only to Kerry stokes and Rupert Murdoch
Hayward has to protect himself by turning side on to collect or contest the ball. Geez it ain't rocket surgery. You're taught this stuff at Aus kick. One player is using the correct technique, the other player is going in "wide open". It's extremely frustrating that the player with the poor technique is rewarded with a free kick.

There's one of the problems, in a nutshell.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yep - SSP sanction was correct.

Therfore, if someone lines someone defenseless up and hips them in the head and knocks them out in 2024,

Its 4 weeks

If you accidentally knock someone out in say a tackle? Its less

If you drive your fist into someones face and knock them out, its more.

Consistency and relativity isnt that hard is it?

Its the potential to cause injury when it gets muddy,

And also the media muddy the *smile* out of the waters.
Thats an easy fix; if a player is cited, media
Cant discuss.

Even if the player cited is the best bloke in barwon heads and sends a
Semi trailer full of flowers
And choccies to the victim
And phones their nana in tears.

media cannot prejudice the tribunal.

Coaches cant criticise umpires; media cant comment on case before tribunal.

'Hey Dil, kerry here, yeah listen maaaaaattttteeee, i pay $1b for the tv, i want to discuss hits'

'Yeah ok kezza'

AFL ruling: community radio may not discuss matters before the tribunal under any, repeat any circumstances. unless they involve marlion pickett even running near a daicos in a threatening manner, and in circumstances whereby someone from the AFL , or a person or persons who attend school or played more than one (1) quarter at old Xavs, played golf with someone who wants to disciss a matter. If the player cited is a good bloke and/or went to a gps school, the media may discuss how they didnt do anything wrong. However, this might change sometimes, depending on a few things which shall be determined by someone
How many weeks does Tom Stewart get next he knocks a bloke out with his elbow 3 seconds after the ball is handballed?

Besides being lucky he is the greatest bloke of all time, and being lucky he plays for the Cats, Stewart is lucky he smashed Prestia's face in 2022. 2023 i reckon even Stewart gets 6. 2024 might be 8. It should have been 8 in 2022.