AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Didn't know if there was a concussion thread, please merge if so.

It will be an interesting watch to see how the AFL spin their way out of this one. Its already started. A tale of 2 headlines:

"Angus Brayshaw retires after collision with Braydon Maynard" ABC, Age was similar

"Beloved Melbourne Demons star retires after long concussion history". AFL.com

Speaks for itself.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again, the Maynard / Brayshaw incident was a huge line in sand moment for the AFL. If they were even half serious about concussion Maynard had to go. I was amazed at the time and still am that they were so intent on sending the message that they don't take the issue seriously.

28 years old and at his peak. On big money. Retired.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 22 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
That’s pretty bad. Played the game solidly and courageously and appears a decent person as well.

Hope the guy is going to be ok in future life.

Reactions: 10 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
What sh1ts me is the AFL and their pencilneck mouthpieces in the media who've never had 90kg launched through their scones excuse this kind of thing as a 'football action'. No. Hitting someone in the head has always been against the rules. Meanwhile they will continue to incentivise blokes to put their heads where they shouldn't.

They are not serious about concussion. They are not serious people. They are clowns. One giant, oblivious circle-jerk praising the robust flavour of each other's spunk. A pox on them all.

• Love
Reactions: 29 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What sh1ts me is the AFL and their pencilneck mouthpieces in the media who've never had 90kg launched through their scones excuse this kind of thing as a 'football action'. No. Hitting someone in the head has always been against the rules. Meanwhile they will continue to incentivise blokes to put their heads where they shouldn't.

They are not serious about concussion. They are not serious people. They are clowns. One giant, oblivious circle-jerk praising the robust flavour of each other's spunk. A pox on them all.
“Robust flavour”. Interesting. :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Simon Lethlean says Gil's is "earthy, with notes of silver (spoon). Pairs well with lamb, and bullsh1t."
Outstanding posting. This is what we need more of.

Ffs….fend off free. What a farce this is going to be.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
:ROFLMAO: That needs to be your signature

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Apparently MRI scans between September last year and to present, showed a deterioration in brain structure.

Geez that’s not good.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Sad to hear footballer in his prime is forced to retire
No one believes Maynard intention was to smother the kick
If AFL had any balls he’d have been suspended for 6 games but the AFL media unit was into it trying to convince all it was an attempted smother
Hope Brayshaw sues the AFL and gets generous compensation as it’ll affect the rest of his life

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
That’s pretty bad. Played the game solidly and courageously and appears a decent person as well.

Hope the guy is going to be ok in future life.
This is the reason I indicated concern about NV recently, after he was kept out of match play for 12 days following yet another concussion incident.
How many is that now both before and since that Geelong $$$$ er deliberately took him out.
Quality player great Tiger and have to hope this is his last season.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If AFL had any balls he’d have been suspended for 6 games but the AFL media unit was into it trying to convince all it was an attempted smother
Hope Brayshaw sues the AFL and gets generous compensation as it’ll affect the rest of his life
He may very well have been trying to smother. It doesn't matter. It was his responsibility not to knock Brayshaw out. It wasn't like Chimp going for the ball against Shiel.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Interesting to see if he's able to sue Maynard if the AFL one fails. If this happens sometime in the future and wins, 100% of AFL players will be forced to wear helmets.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Totally agree with spook's take. The game is under genuine threat unless these idiots start to take concussion seriously.
Parents won't have their kids play the game & it will die.

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Interesting to see if he's able to sue Maynard if the AFL one fails. If this happens sometime in the future and wins, 100% of AFL players will be forced to wear helmets.
Don't get why everyone is crook on Maynard...... he's a great fella.... even turned up uninvited with flowers and chocolates after the misunderstanding.

Clearly, Angus Brayshaw, the bloke with the ball, making the play, misunderstood he had a duty of care to get out of Maynards way!

Who knows what gift Brayden Maynard will arrive with tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Totally agree with spook's take. The game is under genuine threat unless these idiots start to take concussion seriously.
Parents won't have their kids play the game & it will die.
We've already pivoted away from letting my daughter play Auskick.

We're going with soccer and basketball instead. I was really, really torn about this. She's very tall for her age, and I already had her pencilled in as a Richmond AFLW first ruck. But it's not worth it IMO.

I taught a teenage girl recently, basically from year 7 to 12. By year 8 she was a bright, happy enthusiastic student. Gun footballer too, lived and breathed it. She had three concussions between year 8 and 10, and dropped away in everything. She was confused in class, struggling to concentrate and remember instructions. Eventually forced to give footy away, which led to depression (which concussions add to anyway). She got through the worst of it by the end, but it shook me to support her through it and see how it affected her.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The Maynard decision was typical of the AFL.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Agree the AFL need to take concussion seriously - they are clowns. I'm in the minority and I don't think Maynard did anything wrong - you can say he was negligent (I don't agree) - but then 90% of football is wilful negligence - its a violent sport. I just hope Brayshaw is OK long term. We are yet to see the tip of the CTE iceberg.

Reactions: 1 user