When did the AFL start hating Richmond? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When did the AFL start hating Richmond?

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
I know we all talk about it, but was there some objective time where someone Richmond related said something that pissed of AFL HQ and resulted in us copping all the *smile*?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I know we all talk about it, but was there some objective time where someone Richmond related said something that pissed of AFL HQ and resulted in us copping all the *smile*?
Something in the book Brilliance & Brutality suggested that it was in the early ‘70’s when the behaviour of Graeme Richmond and Octa Wilson got their backs up.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Was it Balmey calling out the umps?

Not going away after winning the 2017 flag when we were not supposed to?

Winning the 2019 when we were not supposed to?

Covid Hub Shenanigans then winning the 2020 Flag when we were not supposed to ?

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I think it goes back to the 1900s and the forfeited GF. Seriously though we've had no real representation at head office since Alan Schwab. The hate is real. Why? I think it reflects other sides, our rivals, having good representation, historic grudges and rivalries, (which only insiders would know about), and that our good management over the last 15 years or so, on field and off, have made them look bad.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
When we raided GCS and started winning Premierships.
We spoilt their expansion by decimating GCS, then beating GWS, twice, in critical matches.

Reactions: 6 users

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
4 frees up till the start of the fourth says it All

Reactions: 1 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
The path to each of our three flags went through Geelong. Shocking will never forget it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I
It started in 2017 beating Geelong in September.
Then again in November 2018 when we got lynch.
Then when Balme unleashed on Gill and Hocking in 2020.

That's when it started.
Now Hocking has Geelong sitting on top of the ladder and has us cemented in the bottom 4.
Job complete.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
When we raided GCS and started winning Premierships.
We spoilt their expansion by decimating GCS, then beating GWS, twice, in critical matches.

We have made up for this, we have now given them Dimma, 3 time premiership coach.

Can they lay off now?

I was going to say maybe 1908 instead, but then I thought about it - how did we not get in the VFL from the start? Agree, 1897 it is.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
When Graeme Richmond declared war on what was the VFL back in the 70s.

TigerGlory

Tiger Cub
Mar 15, 2014
It probably started before this but my earliest recollection is either in 1973 or 1974 when Grame Richmond and Ian Wilson stormed out of the Brownlow medal in disgust when Keith Greig won the Brownlow instead of Kevin Bartlett. Followed up by beating North in 1974 in the GF which the VFL had 'manufactured' the rules to deliver them a flag which they eventually did.

Reactions: 5 users