AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement

Agree the AFL need to take concussion seriously - they are clowns. I'm in the minority and I don't think Maynard did anything wrong - you can say he was negligent (I don't agree) - but then 90% of football is wilful negligence - its a violent sport. I just hope Brayshaw is OK long term. We are yet to see the tip of the CTE iceberg.
You can't leave the ground and hit someone in the head, SpoJ. Never have been able to.

Reactions: 4 users
Maynard knew what he was doing. He plays on the edge. He also cops it too.

Very bad tribunal outcome IMO and laughs in face of AFL stated concerns on concussions. At least they changed it but they did it after and was weak as *smile*.

Apparently MRI scans between September last year and to present, showed a deterioration in brain structure.

Geez that’s not good.

we cant be far away from friday and monday CT scans of the head for all players.

Either that, or change the rules drastically.

It'd be hard, but a workplace cant spit out brainmushed young men at 28?

Surely Brayshaw has an open and shut compo case for $5-10m?

His ultimate employer ticked off Maynards hit as an acceptable part of the workplace,

As a result, brayshaw misses 7 peak earning years ($5m)

Plus pain, suffering, medical expenses, retraining, lost opportunity, etc etc.

AFL lawyers would do both hammys sprinting to try settle him with non-disclosure for $10 mill wouldnt they?

Then thats the precedent and they suffocate under $10b of claims

Well know the AFL is about to collapse like a house of cards and go back to the VFA model,

When they appoint a woman as CEO

Dont think it'll be long

Meanwhile, the gaslighting goldrush will continue.

Theylle probably contrive an annual Jelly Wrestle for Angus to fund research into sudden brain jelly syndrome which can affect anyone anytime, regardless of workplace or hobbies.

Theylle hire a few actors to wrestle as drooling demented 25yo librarians

And the Abby Holmes V wayne carey bout Will break the internet

And eddie mcguire will yell out 'show us ya gash abs' on camera and say he was referring to a small abrasion caused by her cat tinkabell

And theylle make him head of the commission

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
The Maynard decision was typical of the AFL.
I was surprised at the people that supported Maynard last year

their experience and understanding of the game

we are all football junkies here and know the reasons behind the rule changes and the suspensions for anything head related
and many of us (if not all ) mourn the loss of some aspects of the game

we know the way Maynard went about playing the game , it had an admiral amount of physicality , while still trying to be an effective footballer

but we know his first intent was to hurt and second to maybe touch or smoother

his action in Union or League , supposedly more physical games. would have been instant send off and I suspect a minimum of 4 weeks suspension , if not more , in both codes

and ours weakened and fluffed around and fumbled for excuses to let Maynard off , hardly leadership in the area of player welfare
they were more worried about the reaction of Collingwood fans and the media

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Add Danger's hit on Nick. AFL will have many cases on their hands.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
Interesting to see if he's able to sue Maynard if the AFL one fails. If this happens sometime in the future and wins, 100% of AFL players will be forced to wear helmets.

The AFL by changing the rules after the fact have basically admitted that what Maynard did was wrong. They will claim this shows that the AFL is moving forward with concussion, but in a court of law I suspect it will be seen as an admission of guilt that they didn't have the right protocols / disciplinary procedures in place to specifically protect players prior to the incident. I have no doubt that if Brayshaw wanted to sue the AFL over this that he would win.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
we cant be far away from friday and monday CT scans of the head for all players.

Either that, or change the rules drastically.

It'd be hard, but a workplace cant spit out brainmushed young men at 28?

Surely Brayshaw has an open and shut compo case for $5-10m?

His ultimate employer ticked off Maynards hit as an acceptable part of the workplace,

As a result, brayshaw misses 7 peak earning years ($5m)

Plus pain, suffering, medical expenses, retraining, lost opportunity, etc etc.

AFL lawyers would do both hammys sprinting to try settle him with non-disclosure for $10 mill wouldnt they?

Then thats the precedent and they suffocate under $10b of claims

Well know the AFL is about to collapse like a house of cards and go back to the VFA model,

When they appoint a woman as CEO

Dont think it'll be long

Meanwhile, the gaslighting goldrush will continue.

Theylle probably contrive an annual Jelly Wrestle for Angus to fund research into sudden brain jelly syndrome which can affect anyone anytime, regardless of workplace or hobbies.

Theylle hire a few actors to wrestle as drooling demented 25yo librarians

And the Abby Holmes V wayne carey bout Will break the internet

And eddie mcguire will yell out 'show us ya gash abs' on camera and say he was referring to a small abrasion caused by her cat tinkabell

And theylle make him head of the commission
With you down to, 'When they appoint a woman as CEO'.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The AFL by changing the rules after the fact have basically admitted that what Maynard did was wrong. They will claim this shows that the AFL is moving forward with concussion, but in a court of law I suspect it will be seen as an admission of guilt that they didn't have the right protocols / disciplinary procedures in place to specifically protect players prior to the incident. I have no doubt that if Brayshaw wanted to sue the AFL over this that he would win.
If he sues likely Maynard, Collingwood and the AFL.

Reactions: 1 user
We've already pivoted away from letting my daughter play Auskick.

We're going with soccer and basketball instead. I was really, really torn about this. She's very tall for her age, and I already had her pencilled in as a Richmond AFLW first ruck. But it's not worth it IMO.

I taught a teenage girl recently, basically from year 7 to 12. By year 8 she was a bright, happy enthusiastic student. Gun footballer too, lived and breathed it. She had three concussions between year 8 and 10, and dropped away in everything. She was confused in class, struggling to concentrate and remember instructions. Eventually forced to give footy away, which led to depression (which concussions add to anyway). She got through the worst of it by the end, but it shook me to support her through it and see how it affected her.
Dam my daughter plays aflw at U12 and this is an eye opener.

My missus is against it and now I'm thinking twice.

Thanks for the post. And as a side basketball is way ahead of soccer. Those micro knocks from heading and heada practise are pretty bad also.,.

Reactions: 3 users
We've already pivoted away from letting my daughter play Auskick.

We're going with soccer and basketball instead. I was really, really torn about this. She's very tall for her age, and I already had her pencilled in as a Richmond AFLW first ruck. But it's not worth it IMO.

I taught a teenage girl recently, basically from year 7 to 12. By year 8 she was a bright, happy enthusiastic student. Gun footballer too, lived and breathed it. She had three concussions between year 8 and 10, and dropped away in everything. She was confused in class, struggling to concentrate and remember instructions. Eventually forced to give footy away, which led to depression (which concussions add to anyway). She got through the worst of it by the end, but it shook me to support her through it and see how it affected her.
That is one of the saddest things I’ve read on this website.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
The micro knocks is another kettle of fish altogether. If that's shown to cause brain damage it's basically game over cause it doesn't matter what they do.

Reactions: 1 users
My rule changes for mitigating concussions in football. They’re drastic because they have to be. Footy wouldn’t be the same. I expect nothing but ridicule.
1. There is no bump - except for ruck and marking contests. A contest for a loose ball will inevitably involve contact. But deliberate bumps are out.
2. There is no marking spoil. The only way to contest a mark is by attempting to mark the ball.
3. A legitimate tackle is a grab with two hands. A free is awarded if the ball is not immediately disposed of. No wrapping a player up, no throwing them to the ground.
4. Smothering a kick is illegal.
5. You cannot retrieve a stationary ball. It must be moving. Paddle it if necessary. A moving target is harder to hit (accidentally) and this mitigates the limitations of rule 3.

This is the best I can come up with. I’ve thought about it for decades. So not perfect. Probably not even close. But I’m sick of seeing young and middle aged men turned into vegetables for the sake of entertainment.

Last edited:
Apparently MRI scans between September last year and to present, showed a deterioration in brain structure.

Geez that’s not good.
Yeah, that's no good...feel sorry for him.

But spare a thought for his fiancée...Spud Frawley's daughter.

Wonder how's she travelling at the minute.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
It was the simplest thing

Maynard had two choices - tackle low or corral

Not jump straight into Brayshaw’s noggin

The AFL is a pathetic backwater in the context of international benchmarks and standards.

Reactions: 12 users