AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL and Concussion - Angus Brayshaw retirement

Btw Brayshaw is a courageous and smart man

I can even picture muppet medical staff at the club saying “do you really need this scan? You haven’t had any symptoms and you say you feel ok.”

Brayshaw was smart enough to push for answers.

Nick Vlastuin and others should look at doing the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, that's no good...feel sorry for him.

But spare a thought for his fiancée...Spud Frawley's daughter.

Wonder how's she travelling at the minute.

I would hazard a guess that Angus has probably listened to her a lot to make this decision. She and her family have probably recounted tales of Spud of which Angus probably can relate to, and he has made the decision to try and avoid the future that Spud had in front of him.

Very courageous decision from both of them.

Reactions: 6 users
He did for mine. He dropped the shoulder into him. Not at all an instinctive action. The instinctive thing would have been to put his arms out and wrap the other player up as he went to ground. He had his arms out for the Smother and then dropped his shoulder to make sure it hurt Bradshaw. No intent to knock him out. I don’t believe that for a minute. but by god, he wanted him to earn that kick. AFL response ? Nothing to see here. Action all good. If it was all ok - then WTF did they change the rules for this season so that now it’s an offence?

• Angry
Reactions: 11 users
I would hazard a guess that Angus has probably listened to her a lot to make this decision. She and her family have probably recounted tales of Spud of which Angus probably can relate to, and he has made the decision to try and avoid the future that Spud had in front of him.

Very courageous decision from both of them.

the disquieting aspect of this situation for many of these young men is that it might already be too late to arrest cognitive decline

but no, maynard had to be cleared for the grand final

cos, ya know, the romance of collingwood

Reactions: 1 user
My rule changes for mitigating concussions in football. They’re drastic because they have to be. Footy wouldn’t be the same. I expect nothing but ridicule.
1. There is no bump - except for ruck and marking contests. A contest for a loose ball will inevitably involve contact. But deliberate bumps are out.
2. There is no marking spoil. The only way to contest a mark is by attempting to mark the ball.
3. A legitimate tackle is a grab with two hands. A free is awarded if the ball is not immediately disposed of. No wrapping a player up, no throwing them to the ground.
4. Smothering a kick is illegal.
5. You cannot retrieve a stationary ball. It must be moving. Paddle it if necessary. A moving target is harder to hit (accidentally) and this mitigates the limitations of rule 3.

This is the best I can come up with. I’ve thought about it for decades. So not perfect. Probably not even close. But I’m sick of seeing young and middle aged men turned into vegetables for the sake of entertainment.
May as well stop the game altogether if that is what it takes.

It was the simplest thing

Maynard had two choices - tackle low or corral

Not jump straight into Brayshaw’s noggin
He had the option to extend the arms and absorb contact while coming down from the attempted smother. duty of care to ensure you don't hurt your opponent. If anything it took more effort and time to turn the body and apply a bump. I'm gobsmacked none of the "experts" couldn't see this.

Reactions: 1 users
or we could keep the game as is

but stop blokes doing what they shouldn't be doing

rub maynard out for six

dangerfield for six

and so on

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Shame, is a very good player, but he needs to do what is best for him and his immediate future!
All the best!

He had the option to extend the arms and absorb contact while coming down from the attempted smother. duty of care to ensure you don't hurt your opponent. If anything it took more effort and time to turn the body and apply a bump. I'm gobsmacked none of the "experts" couldn't see this.

agree but I'm still trying to work out how you smother like that to begin with

maynard was bolting forward but you can still stop short and leap vertically without cannoning into the bloke

I'm shocked no-one has flagged how the timing of this might be connected to other events for Melbourne at the moment. I don't think it's right to speculate on if Brayshaw was involved in the culture issues, so I'm not gonna go there. But. If I was a player who was 50/50 on staying because of an injury with long-term impacts like this, and then saw that my club was about to get thrown into whole-team investigation and get turned into a laughing stock because of the actions (and inactions) of other players and leadership, it'd definitely make the decision easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree with spook's take. The game is under genuine threat unless these idiots start to take concussion seriously.
Parents won't have their kids play the game & it will die.
Already started ToO.

I coach my sons U16 basketball team, and there are new teams and leagues sprouting up everywhere. Bayside council have just spend millions constructing an additional 4 indoor basketball courts to their existing 4 in Sandringham to cope with the demand.

My team manager helps run his local cricket and footy clubs, and he estimates that they'll both be fortunate to survive another couple of seasons purely due to lack of numbers.

• Sad
I'm shocked no-one has flagged how the timing of this might be connected to other events for Melbourne at the moment. I don't think it's right to speculate on if Brayshaw was involved in the culture issues, so I'm not gonna go there. But. If I was a player who was 50/50 on staying because of an injury with long-term impacts like this, and then saw that my club was about to get thrown into whole-team investigation and get turned into a laughing stock because of the actions (and inactions) of other players and leadership, it'd definitely make the decision easier.
A God send for Melbn/afl to take some heat out of the ongoing drug farce at the club too...

My rule changes for mitigating concussions in football. They’re drastic because they have to be. Footy wouldn’t be the same. I expect nothing but ridicule.
1. There is no bump - except for ruck and marking contests. A contest for a loose ball will inevitably involve contact. But deliberate bumps are out.
2. There is no marking spoil. The only way to contest a mark is by attempting to mark the ball.
3. A legitimate tackle is a grab with two hands. A free is awarded if the ball is not immediately disposed of. No wrapping a player up, no throwing them to the ground.
4. Smothering a kick is illegal.
5. You cannot retrieve a stationary ball. It must be moving. Paddle it if necessary. A moving target is harder to hit (accidentally) and this mitigates the limitations of rule 3.

This is the best I can come up with. I’ve thought about it for decades. So not perfect. Probably not even close. But I’m sick of seeing young and middle aged men turned into vegetables for the sake of entertainment.

I see this as a very possible future.

We may need to destroy the game to save the game.

That is one of the saddest things I’ve read on this website.

At least she had good support at home.

TBF a lot of teenagers are dealing with a lot of crap most of us never think about. We tend to minimise the experience as we get older.

or we could keep the game as is

but stop blokes doing what they shouldn't be doing

rub maynard out for six

dangerfield for six

and so on
That's not what has caused McCartin/Griffith/Seedsman etc etc etc to retire. It wasn't off the ball stuff. It was incidental contact from playing an aggressive physical sport. People have choice. CTE will not go away because Maynard is supsended for 5 weeks.

The Maynard carry on is way over the top. Brayshaw has had multiple concussions.

• Dislike
What's ironic is this thread is all about opposition players being too "physical" and you look at the Lefau thread. We want him to be a wrecking ball.

People do realise that bumps that do not involve the head can still have a whiplash effect? Which can result in concussion?

Reactions: 2 users