AFL"s Illicit Drug Policy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL"s Illicit Drug Policy

Do you agree with the 3 strike policy currently in place?

• 1 strike you are out.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Leave it as it is.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 2 is better

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • All codes should have a uniform drug policy

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Confidentiality should be in place to protect players

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Name and shame

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Education is more important then all out punishment

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I don't know if this topic has ever been raised separately before or has been mentioned in the various Essendon drug scandal, so apologies!

With so much talk the past week by coaches, some players and ALFPA , should we have a complete overhaul of the illicit drug policy currently at place?

I have strong views which may upset some here but I would really like to hear what we as supporters of the Tigers, AFL, sport in general, parents, and just average joes in the community.

Illicit drugs in society is ripe. Ice used by people is becoming the drug of choice.

We have come a long way since Justin Charles career was effectively ended due to taking performance enhancing drugs to aid in his recovery from a serious injury the past 10 years our code has come a long way in trying to tackle this problem we are being faced with.

In my workplace I'm sure my boss wouldn't be sympathetic if it turned up all drugged up on whatever and would be afforded the 3 strike policy that AFL has in place. It would be instant dismissal.

AFL players are afforded a great salary to play sport. Something they love. With that comes responsibilities. It's a job just like a job that you and I work yet they held in such high esteem and the laws of the day don't always apply to an AFL player or most sportsmen as it does to the everyday person.

Yes educating these players is important but every pre season these players are presented about the dangers and pitfalls of the illicit drug code.

I believe it's either watered down to 1 or 1 strike and your out! Harsh but I use the same analogy that I used at a workplace, so why are AFL players different?

It's difficult for these young players who come into the AFL environment I know. When they go out they are idolised , some targeted and others get involved with certain types that can make drugs easily accessible for them to obtain.

What I would love to see is all the codes to get together, thrash out a policy that is uniform and falls under the drug code , be it WADA or whoever. You only have to look at what happened to the NRL players to what happened to the Essendon players to see the difference. Maybe people will say it can't happen !

What do people think?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I agree there should be a uniform policy. To me there's two parts to this, one is the recreational use of drugs for which I believe there should be some leeway in terms of chances, after all it is an epidemic problem as a whole in Australia. The second is performance-enhancing drugs for which I think there should be little if no leeway. If you're caught trying to cheat then you should be banned for a lengthy period of time, if not forever.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
waiting, you didn't give an option for no policy, because I have been arguing for years that there shouldn't be an illicit drug policy. its just the AFL and their *smile* social engineering... if they didn't run a footy comp, you'd think they were a political party with all the political social issues they get themselves involved in.

did anyone listen to a caller on KBs show just before 10am? he said exactly what I have been saying for years... but unfortunately, KB and Jon ralph ignored his argument.

taking illicit drugs is not a matter for the AFL, it is a matter for the police. if the illicit drug is also a performance enhancing drug, by all means throw the book at them under the ASADA code, but if its not performance enhancing, then what a player does in his own time is none of the AFLs business.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
taking illicit drugs is not a matter for the AFL, it is a matter for the police. if the illicit drug is also a performance enhancing drug, by all means throw the book at them under the ASADA code, but if its not performance enhancing, then what a player does in his own time is none of the AFLs business.

Are you saying that if someone turns up for work under the influence of illegal drugs that their employer should just accept it ? Or are you saying the employer should call the police ?

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
The first priority should be to get rid of the self reporting garbage

Worst AFL loophole going round

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Are you saying that if someone turns up for work under the influence of illegal drugs that their employer should just accept it ? Or are you saying the employer should call the police ?

if a player turned up to work (or a match) under the influence of illegal drugs then its highly likely they would have breached the ASADA code anyway.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I'm with Ian on this one.

Testing a sportsman on holiday for non performance drugs is an infringement of civil liberties.

Its not an employers business what you get up to in your spare time unless it materially affects your work performance (ie pilots, drivers etc).

The argument otherwse is ludicrous.

Lets replace "illicit drugs" with "speeding:. Speeding is against the law and can be dangerous and is punishable by fines or worse for repeat offenders. So based on the people who believe in employers enforcing criminal law or 'one strike' presumably they would all be OK with an employer who sits in the front passenger seat of an employee's vehicle fining the employee every time they exceed 50 in a 50 zone and issing demerit points and firing them if they get too many employer demerits?

rokin.tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 8, 2007
Punt Road
Off-season testing for recreational drugs is questionable. I don't condone illicit drug taking but if the player wants to let off some steam and doesn't touch it again etc, I can understand the reasoning behind the 3 strikes policy. During the season should be instant dismissal or lengthy suspension.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Ian4 said:
waiting, you didn't give an option for no policy, because I have been arguing for years that there shouldn't be an illicit drug policy. its just the AFL and their *smile* social engineering... if they didn't run a footy comp, you'd think they were a political party with all the political social issues they get themselves involved in.

did anyone listen to a caller on KBs show just before 10am? he said exactly what I have been saying for years... but unfortunately, KB and Jon ralph ignored his argument.

100%. Who cares if a player uses something in there own time.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
shad said:

Off season break, I would agree. But when working (whetehr pre-season training or season proper) then the player should be suspended.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I disagree guys!

To me illicit drugs, eg ice can be performance enhancing! I've seen it first hand with altercations with people on it !

Gives you an invincibility , you can push your body, train like a madman etc it's the same!

Maybe what players get up to prior to the pre season when they are on a break I guess I can see your argument there but once pre season starts, once you are in the season proper you are in a workplace environment so you have to abide by a code falling into whatever ASADA WADA whatever.

Analogy used with speeding, well it's drummed into us and has been for decades that speed kills. You go over the limit, you lose points, cop a fine, imprisonment depending so the analogy to me is wrong. I doubt you would use it if a speeding driver crashes into a member of your family and kills them. Worst still if they were on ice for example!

Illicit drugs in their past time is different to our time when you had a beer after the season finished.

Illicit drugs like ice/coccaine are lethal and addictive. Destroys peoples lives, family and careers.

That's the problem with society.

Allow it in their personal life is ok. What they do in their spare time is their business. Well tell that to many addicts who start it off as recreational, pastime , during their break and see how addictive it becomes. Just ask Cousins and others!

It's a workplace. No sympathy. Your out. Career over. 1 strike your done!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Ian4 said:
if a player turned up to work (or a match) under the influence of illegal drugs then its highly likely they would have breached the ASADA code anyway.

And hasn't the ASADA code worked a treat?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
don't know why I bothered posting in this thread then waiting. you have clearly skewed the topic of the thread in a certain direction and have completely disregarded any comments made that oppose that direction by your own comments and poll options.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
shad said:

Most who know about drug addiction will say everyone should care what someone uses in their own time. Because if you use it in your own time and become addicted then this will overlap into your work life and family life. You can't separate drug use into personal time and business time, it just doesn't work that way. The one reason I don't agree in a hard line stance on recreational drug use by players is that the players will be ostracised at a time when they need to be fully supported. It's a complex issue.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Ian4 you have your opinion and that's fine.

I have mine and that's fine too!

We can agree to disagree.

I knew my opinion would upset many as I have my own strong views on it as I've seen what it can do.

Yes I gave options, but because I didn't include one of your opinions doesn't make the topic/ or options irrelevant!

Sorry Ian4 !

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Ian4 said:

I agree, my vote would be for no policy.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigerlove said:
Because if you use it in your own time and become addicted then this will overlap into your work life and family life. You can't separate drug use into personal time and business time, it just doesn't work that way.

biggest load of crap I ever heard. most people can take drugs and live a normal work and family life. some can't. I think people hearing all these sad stories relating to ice make an assumption that everyone who takes drugs turns into one of those people. its just not true.

Kaelan

Tiger Superstar
Aug 7, 2004
Perth
Jeff kennant the voice of reason is one of the first to come out and say that if you are going to have a serious drug debate, alcohol has to be front and centre of the conversation .

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Ian4 said:
biggest load of crap I ever heard. most people can take drugs and live a normal work and family life. some can't. I think people hearing all these sad stories relating to ice make an assumption that everyone who takes drugs turns into one of those people. its just not true.

Really? I've worked with addicts, have you? It can be really annoying when the uneducated sprout their uninformed views. Ice addiction is a more serious issue to society today than any other drug in the past. It is highly addictive. Once it takes over, you cannot control it and expect to live a normal work and family life. The point I was making though is that players addicted to drugs need to be helped not ostracised, which is why I don't believe in a zero tolerance approach.