AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

tigersmk

Tiger Cub
Nov 17, 2004
We watched a few games and enjoyed them. Main positive was the competitiveness, they were going in hard. Like most sports (for either gender), if the competitive drive is there, then so is the entertainment. Certainly lots of work to be done on the skills, which should come in time with better / more extensive coaching, training and game time.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I must admit I watched the season opener last year and the GF.

It will take time for the skills, fitness and overall appeal of the game to pull me in more but once we have a team of our own I will be pretty keen to watch, support and attend games.

The talent pool isn't there yet, hence the targeting of other athletes with skill from other sports.

Hate to say it, being from SA , but Phillips is a gun.

Will tune in tonight in between watching the BBL game!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
Yes, certainly get where you're coming from 12.

Sports like tennis, athletics, swimming, basketball, hockey etc that have (like their male counterparts) years of legacy and tradition, hence decades and decades worth of elite talent pool are genuinely elite sports. Australian rules football for women, in comparison is in it's infancy, and will take many decades to reach that same status. The fact that talented women from a range of other sports, but haven't kicked a footy in their life, can walk onto a team and get a regular senior game at it's 'top level', is indicative of this phenomenon. Rugby sevens at the Olympics is a similar example.

And like you, I don't mean this with any malice. I've coached heaps of girls in athletics with great success, and give their performances equal weight to any of the boys I've coached - in fact, perhaps have had slightly better coach/athlete relationships (in broadly general terms), with the girls than the boys I've coached. My own young daughter has got into tennis and loves it, and I'm really encouraging of it. I play tennis in the driveway of a weekend with her as much as I would play sport with any sons - really love this time together.

But for some bizarre reason, women's AFL has been latched onto and politicised so much by new wave feminists. Some of the voices in the media that highly politicise it - I'm looking at the likes of Clementine Ford and Mia Freedman - who are suddenly massive advocates of female sport. Where were they all these years before the AFLW existed? Were they at the tennis talking up the sublime power and skills of Steffi Graff, Monica Seles, the Williams sisters, Margaret Court etc over the years? Have they been regular attendees of the WNBL, or the national netball league, the W-League screaming from the the rooftops of tabloid and social media how 'brave', 'courageous' and 'empowering' these women are? Or, like most of us, just simply going along to be entertained by the elite skills and/or athleticism on show? No they weren't.
If Clementine Ford is in such favour of it, she should be made to play. Although she'd probaably have to give up the pack of darts a day first. Odds on she hated football when she was at uni.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Strikes me as the sort of person who hates sports in general. The entire premise of sport (ie, someone winning and losing) completely goes against everything a hard core leftist believes in. Unless of course, it's contrived somehow for everyone to win a prize.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
jb03 said:
Will be great when the Tigers have a team.
I May take some interest in 2020 when that happens but I am more interested in Dan Rioli’s foot right now

I tried a couple times last season and turned it off.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
Wow that was awful. They try hard, go in hard but sheesh the skills are horrid. The marking spills even the most basic chest marks, the handballs under limited pressure that don't hit another player less than 2 metres away and the kicks that don't get over a jam tin and miss targets and goals like Daniel Jackson did early in his career makes it difficult to watch. Happy for RFC not to be involved. Maybe in years to come it will improve.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
crackertiger said:
Moanna was hopeless :p

Was the difference in the game.

She is no good. The others have left her for dead she cannot get near it and has no real traits slow, no spring and cannot attract the ball.

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Its like watching the under 9's with similar full time scores, awful skills and everyone kick chases. Gets overly congested and without the skill level they just cant work there way through it.

Will take time but that was painful

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
GEDS1 said:
She is no good. The others have left her for dead she cannot get near it and has no real traits slow, no spring and cannot attract the ball.
She probably should be renamed Mo Hype.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Tigers of Old said:
I thought the standard of the game was hopeless.
As a sport AFLW is quite honestly not yet ready for Prime time TV viewing.
Can't help thinking te AFL has gone about their push into the women's game, arse about. Putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

Look at how the men's game developed over it's history. Went from local footy, then to state league footy, then to represtative footy being the pinnacle of the game. The final stage was the relatively recently conceived fully professional national league. It was a series of stepping stones over 100 odd years. Perhaps the AFL non brains trust should be looking to fund a modern take on this progression for the women's game.

Instead of pouring money into an over hyped national league (before it's ready) use the money more wisely to fund the game through these phases. Not saying these phases need to be done over 100 years. But could make it a 15-20 year target. So by the time a national league is formed you've had a generation or two of talent pool come through all levels.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Fitter, faster, stronger, more skilled with sixteen a side and modified rules to open the game up. Final score 3 goals to two, maybe they should be playing on a soccer pitch to make it easier to transition the field.
Media in overdrive pumping the game up, glad I didn't waste my evening watching it.