AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The only match I have watched was the SOO at the end of last year. It was impressive and the skill level a lot higher than expected, but that was coming from a very low expectation base.

When Richmond field a team I might watch another game.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
For those devotees of AFLW read the wall to wall articles on the AFL web site today.

Wow, are they pushing this barrow or what??

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Was having a quiet channel surf yesterday n caught the last three or four minutes of the third qtr Scumwood v Carlscum game. That D'Arcy sheila's not a bad kick, nailed her shot on the Carlscum chick.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Interesting to see what crowds are like when they start charging people for entry.

More people involved in the game the better, but until Richmond have an AFLW side in 2020 have zero interest.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
caesar said:
Interesting to see what crowds are like when they start charging people for entry.

More people involved in the game the better, but until Richmond have an AFLW side in 2020 have zero interest.

I currently have zero interest based on that we well.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
A few watchers of the game have told me that the tackling techniques by many players is dangerous with many sling tackles occurring. I hope this is being addressed as we don’t want any players hurt on these rock hard grounds.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think the HUN must have shares in the AFLW, their coverage is very extensive.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Really disappointing to see so many negative comments I have long been a coach of Womens Footy and it is awesome to have an AFLW competition, to see the young girls hanging on the fence watching their heroes and participating themselves is pretty uplifting. AFLW has changed the Womens sporting landscape and will dominate in no time at all simply because AFL is the best game. The Erin Phillips & Katie Brennans of this world are just portent of what is to come and a 2 Billion $$$ broadcast deal is coming quickly. W League soccer gets no one to watch its games and NRL & ARL Womens comps are light years away from starting up.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tails said:
Really disappointing to see so many negative comments I have long been a coach of Womens Footy and it is awesome to have an AFLW competition, to see the young girls hanging on the fence watching their heroes and participating themselves is pretty uplifting.

I agree that its great to have AFLW, and I am looking forward to when we enter the comp, but most of the negative comments are justified. the media and free promotion it is getting is way disproportionate to what it deserves.

Tails said:
AFLW has changed the Womens sporting landscape and will dominate in no time at all simply because AFL is the best game.

but this is a load of rubbish. the way people talk about AFLW, its like they are pioneers of women's sport. its utter *smile* and offensive to other women's sports that have been around for years.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ian4 said:
I agree that its great to have AFLW, and I am looking forward to when we enter the comp, but most of the negative comments are justified. the media and free promotion it is getting is way disproportionate to what it deserves.

but this is a load of rubbish. the way people talk about AFLW, its like they are pioneers of women's sport. its utter *smile* and offensive to other women's sports that have been around for years.
Don't agree at all it has made almost all them reactive to what the AFLW is doing and that is my point which is what you missed I think.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's main problem will be attracting an audience in prime time. If it can do that then it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of it.
Last Friday the ratings were very good with 896,000 watching nationally. Be interesting to see if they're sustained next week.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ian4 said:

Agree bin man.

Once the tigers have a side I’ll watch but the quality is pretty average at the moment. Skill Level varies too much.

That will obviously change as more girls take it up. It will dominate the women’s sporting landscape though.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Ian4 said:
but this is a load of rubbish. the way people talk about AFLW, its like they are pioneers of women's sport. its utter *smile* and offensive to
Code:
other women's sports that have been around for years

Including Women's Aussie Rules. They just never had "AFL" in their monikers.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
Zero interest.

Me neither could'nt give a rats arse about it and its laughable how hard the AFL and their owned media buddies are pushing.

The amount of publicity and carry on is laughable.

I aint buying what they are peddling.

Even when the RFC has a side I still wont give a *smile* about it.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Hope it succeeds but I find it unwatchable - never last more than 5 minutes before giving up.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
craig said:
Me neither could'nt give a rats arse about it and its laughable how hard the AFL and their owned media buddies are pushing.

The amount of publicity and carry on is laughable.

I aint buying what they are peddling.

Even when the RFC has a side I still wont give a sh!t about it.
Guess you don't have a daughter then? ::)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tails said:
Guess you don't have a daughter then? ::)

It's fine not to have an interest in the concept. I haven't watched a game. I haven't watched a game of womens' cricket either. I have a daughter and a granddaughter. I don't see thee relevance really. If they were involved no doubt I'd develop an interest too but nothing grabs me at the moment.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
I don't watch AFLW or the ladies cricket.

But I do watch Netball, Basketball and Soccer.

I think it's to do with the standard of play.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Love seeing fathers and daughters having a kick of the footy. It will be even better in ten years or so when it will be mothers and daughters :clap

Having said that I though the Collingwood v Carlton game was terrible, was Buckley coaching the Pies :hihi