AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes fumbling all the time, and if they are serious what they need to do is the little kid stuff and carry a football around with then 24/7. Spin it toss it bounce it kick it and throw it out in front of themselves everywhere they go. Eat with it sleep with it.

Have to improve the first grab percentage. Get control of it and send it forward - preferably to a free team mate. There is no time to fumble and/or take your time to get control of the ball.

I think that will be a big difference when girls can play footy all the way through growing up. So many AFLW players from other sports and they take a while to get the ball handling skills and the ability to read the game.

That said, doing the little kid stuff would do nothing if not help. I have barely picked up a footy in years but when my daughter started playing pub footy I went for a kick with her - I can bounce, I can kick, my ball drop is not too bad - all because as a kid I used to play kick to kick with mates, only ever played at Primary School and was crap anyway, but still a few basic skills from just handling a footy as a kid.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Almost all the players in the comp have the ability to lay an effective tackle but relatively few have the ability to break out of one. This means most of the time any tackle stops the flow of the game.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Almost all the players in the comp have the ability to lay an effective tackle but relatively few have the ability to break out of one. This means most of the time any tackle stops the flow of the game.

Absolutely, this is going to be a problem for a little while as it is an imbalance in skills. Tackling skills in Women's AFL are far better than the skills of breaking tackles, being able to dispose of the ball while being tackled and avoiding tackles. They will get better but you end up having an issue for a while as different skills develop and a different pace.

DS

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Shorten the ground and reduce the amount of players. Would increase scoring and open it up, hopefully resulting in less congestion.
I don’t think there is a lack of scoring.
you can’t have an expectation of scoring and that x scores make it a better game.
it isn’t.
the girls game has plenty of contests.
that’s footy.
the girls game is the girls game and it brings it’sown level.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Too many Tiger players just blast away when they get the ball, couldn't count the number of times they kicked it straight to a Cats player. I think it will take time for most of them to adjust to the pace of the game, we have some talent but it's a very inexperienced team.

Reactions: 1 user