AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Mark Robinson has reason to bag the Tiger's again and he couldn't be happier :), what he doesn't realize is it won't sell papers as it is hardly going to have Tiger supporters up in arms, we are about to embark on Back to Back!, bigger fish to fry.

As for Katie, she finds out quickly that the journo knives come out quickly if you underperform at the biggest club in the land.

'Brennan's fall from AFLW poster girl to lost Tiger'

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Mark Robinson has reason to bag the Tiger's again and he couldn't be happier :), what he doesn't realize is it won't sell papers as it is hardly going to have Tiger supporters up in arms, we are about to embark on Back to Back!, bigger fish to fry.

As for Katie, she finds out quickly that the journo knives come out quickly if you underperform at the biggest club in the land.

When I read this I thought one thing. Robbo is trying to show he can write "hard" articles about the women as he can about the men.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

I saw the article online, but couldn't read who wrote it.
When i grabbed the paper and found out that Robbo was the journo it made me angrier.
What a ridiculous article, she is in the team as a leader/teacher.
We are a new club finding our feet in the comp.
To come out and single out Katie is just poor journalism.
I didnt see any of these articles last year about any Collingwood players after they went through the entire AFLW season without a win.
Robbo just HATES anything in yellow & Black.

Reactions: 2 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
When I read this I thought one thing. Robbo is trying to show he can write "hard" articles about the women as he can about the men.
That's exactly what I thought. Having said that, the same sort of thing killed Mo Hope's career, I hope for Katie's sake she can cop it and move forward.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Desperado.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
It's not riveting, but I still like it. At the moment, as interesting as a practice match. Football is football.
I thought suns richmond was good because they were evenly matched.
yes there were skill and decision making errors but both teams were doing it so it was relatively even.

anyone who thinks 80 to 104 is a better contest than 20 to 26 is just plain confused.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Katie is being played out of position no question, but I think the heat has to come for the coach Tom Hunter because I think he has been terrible. Had a considerable amount of time to prepare and plan and work on a game plan but has delivered none of that to date. Not only that but has shown a lack of initiative in making moves to try to alter the flow of the game in situ...

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
He is right though, Brennan has always been over-rated (including at the Doggies) since the inception of the AFLW.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I'm guessing criticism in here is basically a response to the media following the AFL's agenda to represent AFLW as equal to the men's division despite being in a formative stage? People hate feeling like the media is manipulating them, especially if the basic idea is to make you a better person. Now that's patronising.

It's the biggest growth channel for the AFL supporter base. The AFL know good and well that the standard is irrelevant to it being judged a success. They are in it for the long haul. Backing out or defunding would be a PR disaster.

The entire premise of AFLW in my humble view has been to gain more women viewers of the AFL to replace the disgruntled fan who has been watching for a long term and starting to drop. One thing the AFL is not is some kind of altruistic caring sharing community based organisation. There is a strategic long term economic benefit of AFLW to AFLM. We, the public just don't see that document.

That's my perspective on it.

Teenage girls would be thinking "I can do that!" and with some father/brother bonding time outdoors, it probably wouldn't take long until they are kicking as well or better than players currently in AFLW. It might only take 10 years for the standard of skills to approach levels that we are accustomed to from watching the men's division.

The exciting part for me is that due to the freedom of AFL by nature, the women's division could eventually evolve into a very different game altogether. Over time, the aesthetics of the AFLW game will adapt to the inherent advantages / disadvantages of the female anatomy compared to the male anatomy, and this may or may not lead to an even better spectacle than the men's division.

Think about the evolution of the men's division over the past 30 years. Has it become less watchable? Who knows, maybe AFLW will eventually look more like 1970's style of football (without the violence)? I'll probably wait a few years before I watch it, though.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
One thing you can't deny is that the girls are really giving it a red hot go and aren't backing off. They've got a real passion for the game which is contagious.

When the girls that have had a clear Aussies Rules pathway all the way to AFLW arrive, the comp is going to go up a gear of too. It'll be as accepted as the Matilda's and the Aussie Women's cricket team.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think the red hot go thing actually drags the standard down. AFLW like suburban footy, like kids footy try and copy the game style of the AFL. The easiest part to copy is the forward defensive pressure, the rolling zone, the tackle based game, the effort based things. And Baloo is right, they are having a real dip. If your defensive pressure is so good, it’s going to drag down the other teams skill. If it’s a lowish base ( not natural to girls yet, they aren’t growing up with footys in their hands but they are now) it naturally will down grade the spectacle.

Radical idea, I think zones and slightly modified rules would increase the skill quicker. Zones, Only have to bounce every 40 metres, super goals from 35 meteres, harsh interpretation of holding the ball when you dive on the ball.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Radical idea, I think zones and slightly modified rules would increase the skill quicker. Zones, Only have to bounce every 40 metres, super goals from 35 meteres, harsh interpretation of holding the ball when you dive on the ball.
Yep.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think the red hot go thing actually drags the standard down. AFLW like suburban footy, like kids footy try and copy the game style of the AFL. The easiest part to copy is the forward defensive pressure, the rolling zone, the tackle based game, the effort based things. And Baloo is right, they are having a real dip. If your defensive pressure is so good, it’s going to drag down the other teams skill. If it’s a lowish base ( not natural to girls yet, they aren’t growing up with footys in their hands but they are now) it naturally will down grade the spectacle.

I understand where you are coming from but I would far prefer we let the game develop on its own terms.

I think the freedom of Australian Rules Footy gives them scope to really make the game their own, it will take until girls grow up with footy through all the years from childhood to adult footy.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Normally like your stuff Scoop but that would be an error. Give it 5-10 years when those in the junior talent pathways now have had a couple of years in the AFLW. We are already seeing early "stars" such as Hope, Brennan and Frederick struggle as the youngsters emerge with pace and more skill.

The game has to be the same, not a hybrid version or AFLX style garbage.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I'd actually shorten the ground. Not kidding. 20m. Our side is unfit and doesn't have enough hard runners. The most prized players in AFLW will be those who can run hard and handle the pill well. Our side is too fumbly.

Our team hesitates to go and get the ball. The few times they go for it they then look up and try to take six steps to look where to kick it. That means they don't have a planned structure.

They get mown down of course, taking so long to decide.

Lastly....why do they drop the ball so often when alone and under no pressure?

Reactions: 2 users