AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

AFLW is basically Bolshevik marketing where the AFL are trying to give people what they think they should want rather than what they actually want. If the women's game was ever going to work, it would have to come from the grassroots and develop up naturally, like the men's competition did. Instead we have this corporate directed top down product that pretends to be on equal footing with the men's game, but they aren't kidding anyone. On top of that is it annoying the regular fans for the reasons already outlined here.

I'm sure the AFL thought it a winning strategy to target the people that aren't interested in the men's competition, but to think they will like the women's game because they share the same anatomy is a strategy doomed to fail IMO. By that I mean able to turn a profit.

Giardiasis said:
AFLW is basically Bolshevik marketing where the AFL are trying to give people what they think they should want rather than what they actually want. If the women's game was ever going to work, it would have to come from the grassroots and develop up naturally, like the men's competition did. Instead we have this corporate directed top down product that pretends to be on equal footing with the men's game, but they aren't kidding anyone. On top of that is it annoying the regular fans for the reasons already outlined here.

I'm sure the AFL thought it a winning strategy to target the people that aren't interested in the men's competition, but to think they will like the women's game because they share the same anatomy is a strategy doomed to fail IMO. By that I mean able to turn a profit.

Agree, good post. Lucky they're not charging a entrée fee.

Giardiasis said:

The grassroots are looking very strong, with an increase in female footy sides increasing by 70% last year and 56% the year before. They're in a war for talent, sponsorship and supporters and have jumped many of the other codes with their strategy.

I agree that the over-saturation is annoying and the narrative is a bit over the top, but the product has improved significantly and it will be interesting to see what it looks like in a few years.

And for the record, AFLW will turn a profit before the Gold Coast Suns do.

pokey said:
The grassroots are looking very strong, with an increase in female footy sides increasing by 70% last year and 56% the year before. They're in a war for talent, sponsorship and supporters and have jumped many of the other codes with their strategy.

I agree that the over-saturation is annoying and the narrative is a bit over the top, but the product has improved significantly and it will be interesting to see what it looks like in a few years.

And for the record, AFLW will turn a profit before the Gold Coast Suns do.
Sure, that's where the success will come from. I personally doubt that it will seriously kick off, but I think if it has a chance it will be at grassroots level first, and then build from there.

Ha yeah GC and GWS have the same problem as the AFLW, corporate created entities that did not develop at grassroots level. They will continue to be cash sinks for a long time.

Most of you are utterly depressing ....I have been going the Youth Girls matches for 5 years now, my daughter played and is now in the Tassie state league. Of COURSE the standard is not the same as the boys..but I have found myself loving most games , indeed enjoying enjoying the celebration of the game that I found there. Encourage and support its development if you love the game...you dont have to watch it , but why hate it and play the destroyer role. The success of womens football is fundamental to the development and continuation of the game...it should have happened 20 years ago but it was because of this same negativity it didnt. I love Women's football..you dont have to , but why try to destroy it...really really depressing ..frankly I think the world is stuffed with people like you all degrading everything.

Omarkum said:
Most of you are utterly depressing ....I have been going the Youth Girls matches for 5 years now, my daughter played and is now in the Tassie state league. Of COURSE the standard is not the same as the boys..but I have found myself loving most games , indeed enjoying enjoying the celebration of the game that I found there. Encourage and support its development if you love the game...you dont have to watch it , but why hate it and play the destroyer role. The success of womens football is fundamental to the development and continuation of the game...it should have happened 20 years ago but it was because of this same negativity it didnt. I love Women's football..you dont have to , but why try to destroy it...really really depressing ..frankly I think the world is stuffed with people like you all degrading everything.

Ridiculous innit. You'd think some people don't want women playing. My niece is a chance to be playing for THE MIGHTY RFC so the haters can get stoofed.

Omarkum said:

Great stuff on your girl Omar

ToraToraTora said:
Ridiculous innit. You'd think some people don't want women playing. My niece is a chance to be playing for THE MIGHTY RFC so the haters can get stoofed.

Wow. Fantastic, just being a chance to pull on our jumper would be fantastic. Well done to her triple T

Omarkum said:

elite rant :clap

Omarkum said:

Good on you O. The constant negativity around women's/girl's footy is somewhat annoying.

Giardiasis said:
Sure, that's where the success will come from. I personally doubt that it will seriously kick off, but I think if it has a chance it will be at grassroots level first, and then build from there.

Ha yeah GC and GWS have the same problem as the AFLW, corporate created entities that did not develop at grassroots level. They will continue to be cash sinks for a long time.

Sorry - but this ignores TV rights (and growth of game).

I don't refute that GWS and GC have a long way to go (albeit GWS will grow faster than people think) - however - it would be intersting to consider whether the TV rights would be the same if the AFL had not demonstrated growth in this two cities (which account for a considerable amount of extra/new people now watching the game).

It's not as simple as bums on seats - and everyone knows that Membership numbers are fluff.

Omarkum said:

Bit disappointing watching the body governing the game we love become an arm of the Labor party. By all means go ahead and have your competition, but the promotion of it needs to stop bashing people over the head with talk of "elite" sport, women changing the world, displays of overt lesbianism and the like.

Maybe it's not all the AFL's fault, but in the current climate the fact that feminists are all over it means it carries political overtones. Some of the nonsense that is going to print/air is absurd.

I've tried not to be overly critical but the disproportionate and non-stop promotion of it is testing me.

Sir said:
Sorry - but this ignores TV rights (and growth of game).

I don't refute that GWS and GC have a long way to go (albeit GWS will grow faster than people think) - however - it would be intersting to consider whether the TV rights would be the same if the AFL had not demonstrated growth in this two cities (which account for a considerable amount of extra/new people now watching the game).

It's not as simple as bums on seats - and everyone knows that Membership numbers are fluff.
You are forgiven? I'm not ignoring TV rights and growth, but to be fair I am not speaking from an understanding of the hard numbers. Does the AFL receive more in TV revenue than it costs them to finance GC and GWS? Well I doubt this, but perhaps someone can prove me wrong with the hard numbers?

In any case, I don't see how GC and GWS help Richmond. The club effectively finances these teams to take finals and premierships from us.

I wouldn’t ever try to destroy it. I think it’s fantastic women/girls now have an avenue to play Australian football.
However as the AFLW product stands right now I find it unwatchable. In the future that may change but I’ve given it a go through curiosity and it doesn’t grab me at all. Despite some initial interest due to the competitiveness, it’s lost me as a viewer because the skills arent up to scratch yet. Some will disagree but IMO the standard is not yet good enough to be on TV. This in spite of the endless hype/marketing from AFL media. Will I ever come back to it when the RFC has a female team? Probably not but never say never.

Tigers of Old said:
I wouldn’t ever try to destroy it. I think it’s fantastic women/girls now have an avenue to play Australian football.
However as the AFLW product stands right now I find it unwatchable. In the future that may change but I’ve given it a go through curiosity and it doesn’t grab me at all. Despite some initial interest due to the competitiveness, it’s lost me as a viewer because the skills arent up to scratch yet. Some will disagree but IMO the standard is not yet good enough to be on TV. This in spite of the endless hype/marketing from AFL media. Will I ever come back to it when the RFC has a female team? Probably not but never say never.
Good post ToO. This inference that if you’re not singing the praises of AFLW that you’re a prick or a misogynist or trying to destroy it is just a guilt trip.

Tigers of Old said:

I play old man's footy and no-one wants to watch that either. Doesn't mean people don't support the success of it and encourage participation, in fact it is now a very strong competition across Australia and even culminates in a National carnival - which includes womens' teams. I am with you on standards, it's ok to promote it but the reality is over time unless people watch it in droves, then it is going to always come at a hefty cost if you are going to televise it. I think the standard will improve over time, right now, for many players it is their athletic ability rather than their footy quality skills that is getting them a game thus contributing to the lack of skill. For me a Richmond team will make it more interesting if not just for the sake of supporting a team but right now I don't have a lot of interest in watching it.

tigerlove said:
I play old man's footy and no-one wants to watch that either. Doesn't mean people don't support the success of it and encourage participation, in fact it is now a very strong competition across Australia and even culminates in a National carnival - which includes womens' teams.

:hihi See that's great but at the risk of being labelled ageist again, I'm not sure how SupeRules or Masters would go in prime time.

Omarkum said:

I love how the AFL have created a much more mainstream pathway for girls/women to play footy. I have watched a bit of womens soccer in the last year or two and, I must say, I prefer watching it to the A League, Not really sure the back story to how that product became so good but I assume it has built over time as more money and elite performance programmes have been introduced.

With AFLW, as you point out the standard is not the same (far from it). The thing that irks me a bit is the amount of artificial fan fare it is getting from the media (Fox Footy commentators pumping it up with their commentary etc). I reckon they should be going a little bit more under the radar until they can get the quality up and then look to bring some more publicity / fan fare to it once the quality has improved. The AFL can still pump money into AFLW and development programmes until then.

I choose not to watch it currently (the quality doesn't draw me to it in all honesty). But that may change if 1. the quality improves or 2. my daughter takes up the sport.

Tigers of Old said:
:hihi See that's great but at the risk of being labelled ageist again, I'm not sure how SupeRules or Masters would go in prime time.

I'm thinking unless the world implodes and we're only left with one TV station, not very well. Even then it would struggle :)