AFLW Tigers v Kangas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Tigers v Kangas

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
First wrap up without any comments on the umpires.
The girls will improve. Some other clubs have had a 5 year head start and they are worse.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Small fwd is a tough position to play for the W team that is getting smashed. Rotate players through there. Akek played fwd most of the game. Or was on the bench but didn't do much. I think Darcy was up fwd last week but looks like a defender. Good mark but rubbish decision making. Miller was great but tired and made some poor decisions. We seem to have shorter rucks over the last few weeks. Kelly didn't seem to do much. Seymour is going ok. Oppo seem to walk the ball out of the middle. Conti should work on her goal kicking. Now she just blazes away. Usually misses. Goals are so hard to score. The backline is fine, I hope McKenzie gets back to dominating form. We need grunt out of the middle. the twins are doing very well. Week in week out. Ditto Brennan.
Anyhow no injuries. Thank goodness. Good to watch football. Maybe start the comp in October?

Last edited:

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Yeah I think the loss of Wakefield has really impacted our forward structure. We are really struggling through half forward today which is why a lot of our forward entries are breaking down before they even get to the F50. Where we would normally have Brennan and Wakefield, and where 1 can push up the ground knowing the other is there, its difficult now. We can push 1 up the ground then we have nothing forward of centre. Its why Chuot has been tried there as we have nothing else, but she isn't all that good, particularly in an unfamiliar position.
Chuot wasn't great. Good attack on the ball at one point and her kicking is ok. Her first game for the year. I'd leave her in.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Small fwd is a tough position to play for the W team that is getting smashed. Rotate players through there. Akek played fwd most of the game. Or was on the bench but didn't do much. I think Darcy was up fwd last week but looks like a defender. Good mark but rubbish decision making. Miller was great but tired and made some poor decisions. We seem to have shorter rucks over the last few weeks. Kelly didn't seem to do much. Seymour is going ok. Oppo seem to walk the ball out of the middle. Conti should work on her goal kicking. Now she just blazes away. Usually misses. Goals are so hard to score. The backline is fine, I hope McKenzie gets back to dominating form. We need grunt out of the middle. the twins are doing very well. Week in week out. Ditto Brennan.
Anyhow no injuries. Thank goodness. Good to watch football. Maybe start the comp in October?

I think it was initially supposed to start in October but was delayed due to Covid. Totally agree that thats a much better time for it. The mens season is over, fills the gap between the season ending and the draft, and ensures the girls don't have to play in heat like we have in Jan / Feb which I think is unfair on them and probably results in some of the tiring that we see from most teams in the 4th quarter.

Norths ruck is a giant (she is almost 190cm) so we would always look small. I think she might be the tallest player in the AFLW.

Agree on Contis kicking, there was a spell there at the start of the 4th when both she and McKenzie had very scoreable chances that could have brought us to within 2 goals and then its anyones game but Ellie didn't make the distance (maybe doesn't trust her calf yet?) and Conti seemed to kick the wrong side of the ball and it sailed through for a behind.

I honestly don't think we are that far away from being able to compete with the better teams, we just seem to struggle to replace our best players at the minute, our depth needs some work in the offseason.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Do we have the right coaching structure?
Hard to know. What is the right coaching structure. They got rid of the first coach which seemed odd - think they made him a scapegoat for our poor initial list preparation. I am still staggered that we are not fielding a VFLW team and the club has never really explained this.

There was a debate on twitter last night about the fall of Carlton's AFLW team. Fair to say Carlton supporters are not a fan of Harford but again, it is difficult to know what the right structure is.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Hard to know. What is the right coaching structure. They got rid of the first coach which seemed odd - think they made him a scapegoat for our poor initial list preparation. I am still staggered that we are not fielding a VFLW team and the club has never really explained this.

There was a debate on twitter last night about the fall of Carlton's AFLW team. Fair to say Carlton supporters are not a fan of Harford but again, it is difficult to know what the right structure is.
It’s definitely something they need to closely look at over the off season.

Why are you so keen on the VFLW team?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It’s definitely something they need to closely look at over the off season.

Why are you so keen on the VFLW team?
Easier to control development of the core AFLW group leading into each AFLW season. It also would allow the coaches to develop, Ferguson could/should be coaching that group too.

And it seems odd that the wealthiest AFL club can't afford one when pretty much every other AFL team has one.

Reactions: 2 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021

I thought the loss of the VFLW team was due to the $100K fine the club copped for Brooke's nails and kebab gate. But not sure now. We also lost AFL senior assistant(s) too who'd be on $100k you'd think. (Come back Leppa). Having the VFL team back at Richmond worked very well. But the women's comp may not matter that much. All our AFLW players do play all year anyhow. 14 game season. At this stage just playing a lot of games is the main thing. Getting experience. Full time work and very part time football.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Chuot wasn't great. Good attack on the ball at one point and her kicking is ok. Her first game for the year. I'd leave her in.
We literally have no choice thanks to injuries.
Not up to the standard.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I thought the loss of the VFLW team was due to the $100K fine the club copped for Brooke's nails and kebab gate. But not sure now. We also lost AFL senior assistant(s) too who'd be on $100k you'd think. (Come back Leppa). Having the VFL team back at Richmond worked very well. But the women's comp may not matter that much. All our AFLW players do play all year anyhow. 14 game season. At this stage just playing a lot of games is the main thing. Getting experience. Full time work and very part time football.
The players scatter and get different coaches and different philosophies. It's not the end of the world but i just can't fathom us not having a team.

It's like the pokies, we are one of the wealthiest clubs but refuse to get out of them.

Reactions: 1 user

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
The players scatter and get different coaches and different philosophies. It's not the end of the world but i just can't fathom us not having a team.

It's like the pokies, we are one of the wealthiest clubs but refuse to get out of them.
I think there were 2 Richmond players playing for Port. So a lot of young inexperienced players to develop. Our AFLW team has barely got 10 good players. Struggling to keep a team on the park through injury and COVID. The Dogs (who've bee around in the VFLW for a while) got smashed by newcomer Essendon this week. Didn't score. So the longevity of the VFLW team isn't translating to on field success. The AFLW needs footy skills: long kicking No 1.
Saint Brendan got rid of the team. He made a mistake? He's no idiot. I'll back his decision. Who knows at some stage we might be able to have a stand alone VFLW team. I know womens footy is growing like crazy. Hopefully the standard rises. I hope we survive the new clubs next year.

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Easier to control development of the core AFLW group leading into each AFLW season. It also would allow the coaches to develop, Ferguson could/should be coaching that group too.

And it seems odd that the wealthiest AFL club can't afford one when pretty much every other AFL team has one.
Fair points. This may sound harsh but at this stage I would prefer any surplus funds directed to the men’s team.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Fair enough. Just think we should have more surplus funds than most.
There's a lot of AFL control of where club money is spent. Salary caps, soft caps. Covid has really negatively affected Richmond at a time when we could've been making hay. Throw in a $100k fine.
The club could see how beneficial it was to have the VFL boys training together. I'm sure they would've kept the VFLW in house. If they could have. The level at VFLW is pretty low. Get games into em at Port Melbourne . Get skills into them. Get football fit. Or have a chat with the Port coach and get them on the same page