Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

We weren't about to win an historic 3rd flag in 4 years when Richo bowed out. Rance, sure I'll miss him, but the timing is egregious.
Imagine if you got a knock at the door & it's the great man !
I've told JWs to eff off in more than one country I doubt it'd be any different with him.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Optimistically hoping there is a "$hit I miss the club-environment" and wants back in at some stage. Gale 's said something similar but that would be based on hope than a realistic chance playing again. The farewells where quite "final" BUT its when he walks away and the fire still burns you just never know. The realization he has 2-3 years of football and 35-40 years (taking him to 65-70yo) of "the rest of your life" post football I expect he has expected once you walk away thats basically it. Not even the legend in Tony Lockett who retired in 1999 and the came back in 2002 was the same player. Its a shame he did not follow Houli who has shown how you can combine your devout faith and football and give back to society and keep playing.

Life goes on and we have to respect his call. We proved we can win a flag without him ... we can do that again !

Reactions: 3 users
Its really hard to swallow, and initially I was in shock,

But now I reckon its a great thing for the club and all of us. Here's 6 quick reasons why

1. We remember Rancey at the height of his powers, not getting 9 kicked on him by Josh Schache in 2024. Age will not weary him. Only the smartest sportspeople go out at the top
2. We consolidate and build our future. we have spare cash and cap space to retain and play kids like Stackman and Criminal Jones (and Ive got a hunch that CJ will take some retaining)
3. We win more premierships, just like the ranceless last one
4. Grimesy racks up the AA blazers, and Love Machine probably gets a few too now.
5. We won't have to shell out for any more kids books, which if we are being honest with ourselves, are pretty ****.
6. Its now entirely safe to assume his knee would have buckled round 1 2020

thanks for the memories Rancey and enjoy your retirement.

You are 100% right and i think the club will bounce back. This team just seems to evolve. We have won 2 flags and at worst will be in the race next year. . After he did his knee i think every teammate and supporter was completely waiting to see him play again. It's sad to realize that moment wont come. ITs literally over for Sexy-Rancey. His last game was round 1 when he did his knee against Carlton. His last full game was the Prelim against Collingwood, where Mason Cox dominated him, which was one of the worst nights in Richmond history. Its an unusual spot for a decorated career to end, especially suddenly at age 30. Rational to him clearly, but not most. The story was ripe for a comeback., but it ends there.

If this happened to Gold C or Gee Wizz they'd get a priority pick. On the other hand we'll get nothing.

Its really hard to swallow, and initially I was in shock,

But now I reckon its a great thing for the club and all of us. Here's 6 quick reasons why

1. We remember Rancey at the height of his powers, not getting 9 kicked on him by Josh Schache in 2024. Age will not weary him. Only the smartest sportspeople go out at the top
2. We consolidate and build our future. we have spare cash and cap space to retain and play kids like Stackman and Criminal Jones (and Ive got a hunch that CJ will take some retaining)
3. We win more premierships, just like the ranceless last one
4. Grimesy racks up the AA blazers, and Love Machine probably gets a few too now.
5. We won't have to shell out for any more kids books, which if we are being honest with ourselves, are pretty ****.
6. Its now entirely safe to assume his knee would have buckled round 1 2020

thanks for the memories Rancey and enjoy your retirement.
Yeah while disappointed im looking at it like the Buddy situation with Hawthorn when he left.

Reactions: 1 user
This decision could rock the club.
He always wanted to leave before his time but why now.
We could've help him by trading him outside of victoria.
Like others have said this decision could have made our drafting and trading Totally different.
Anyway Wish all the best..
He mentions Blair Hartley as a main mentor that he talked to about his decision so maybe Blair has been well aware and it hasn’t affected our strategy for drafting

He mentions Blair Hartley as a main mentor that he talked to about his decision so maybe Blair has been well aware and it hasn’t affected our strategy for drafting

Very odd time to make the decision to walk away.
I wish him well, but it has left us one down on our list and we could've used the freed up cash to chase someone else.

Yeah while disappointed im looking at it like the Buddy situation with Hawthorn when he left.

Hawthorn wasn't just buddy, it was Hodge Mitchell lewis rioli etc.
Excatly like us we still have Dusty Grimes, lynch and Castagna.
The sun will rise tommorow.

Could have easily found the extra 200k to pay brando, if rance's salary was excluded. Obviously brando not in the same conversation as a player, but clearly a loved teammate and clubman.

If not brando, money could easily have been used elsewhere.

5 years X $550k for Brando? I don't think so. Rance's status would have had no effect on Ellis deal. He had already made his decision to leave mid season.

A couple of random thoughts

His religion is irrelevant. Why go there.

Could have kept brando if rance had made the call in September. I am pretty annoyed about the timing.

But overall just sad that we won't get to see this champion play again. I was sad when he got injured. More upset now. Unbelievable competitor and given our history of mediocrity, will never take it for granted watching players of the calibre of dusty, rance, riewoldt, etc. play for our club.

No, etting ellis go was an ok decision.
But using the freed up cash on Crouch or Wines wouldve been a better option

Odd that Gale would mention the prospect of Rance returning. If you respect the decision, you accept its finality.

Reactions: 4 users
You clearly have no clue as per my previous post. Your ignorance is showing and you should stop with the bigotry.
Who's next on your list? Bachar?

Any religious zealot is a nutjob IMO. Any religion that subjugates one or the other sex should be ridiculed.

Plenty of evidence that JW men in particular are a misogynistic, domineering bunch.

Rance is tying his cart to that group. Despite him being my favourite player of all time I have little respect for his choice of religion and I'd have no qualms in telling hm that if he comes knocking on my door.

• Haha
It’s very Rancelike. Surprising, but at the same time, not entirely unexpected. We’ll seem him back at Punt Rd in some capacity after 2020, I am certain.

AFL champion, Tiger legend. Thanks for everything Tross man, hope you enjoy the rest of your life as much as I enjoyed watching you play.

Not sure it's wise of the club to keep him on the list after he's retired, there's always some unrecognised talent sneaking around that we could have created a space for.