All Australian stagers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

All Australian stagers

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Jack is a little misunderstood, he's got a vivid imagination.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Even though I don't think I've ever seen them stage it wouldn't surprise to see C Enright/T Stewart penciled in on a HBF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
selwood has consistently set the standard .....captain of the staggers team

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Is there gonna be a gala event?.....
Expanded to include new categories?
Hall of Shame?
Joint hosts.... Barry Hall and Shame Carey?

Opening theme sorted...! (Well, it's got a duck in it:rolleyes:)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Selwood doesn't roll his shoulders - he lifts his arm to drag the tackle high. It's nothing to do with technique. Guys are trying to wrap arms around him and pin his arms so he can't get a handpass away. If you watch the tackles they start in the correct position but he's always ready to lift his arm and drag the tackle high. Grimes does it too. If you recall correctly the AFL identified this and they actually changed the interrpetation in 2017.

Under the new tightened interpretation, if a tackle is reasonable and the ball carrier is responsible for the high contact via a "shrug, drop, arm lift or duck, play on should be called".

The AFL interpretation also reads: "if the tackle is not reasonable, a free kick should be paid against the tackler, regardless of the actions of the other player."

Unfortunately when umps reward players for drawing frees they will continue to do it. IMO its not as much to do with tackling technique and more about the actions of the guy getting tackled. The AFL has dropped the ball on this, they think its more important to penalise a guy for taking one step on a mark or rolling his eyes at a free kick.

I'd actually never seen that before, I think it shows how hard it is for the umpires to adjudicate it. Like you don't have to be passive if someone is tackling you, so Selwood or anyone else is perfectly entitled to try and keep their arms free in a tackle, in fact that would be considered good technique. So the poor umpire has a nano second in the tackle to determine if an arm lift is legitimate or not. Makes it very hard.

I still say it is about technique though. You know Selwood will try and draw a free kick so you have to counter by dropping your centre of gravity and getting him low. He can't draw you high if you have him by the hips. It's not much different to knowing not to play in front of Tom Hawkins because he will muscle you under the ball. You can stand there getting beaten and ask for free kicks for in the back or adjust your position to allow you to compete.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'd actually never seen that before, I think it shows how hard it is for the umpires to adjudicate it. Like you don't have to be passive if someone is tackling you, so Selwood or anyone else is perfectly entitled to try and keep their arms free in a tackle, in fact that would be considered good technique. So the poor umpire has a nano second in the tackle to determine if an arm lift is legitimate or not. Makes it very hard.

I still say it is about technique though. You know Selwood will try and draw a free kick so you have to counter by dropping your centre of gravity and getting him low. He can't draw you high if you have him by the hips. It's not much different to knowing not to play in front of Tom Hawkins because he will muscle you under the ball. You can stand there getting beaten and ask for free kicks for in the back or adjust your position to allow you to compete.
Surprised you were not aware of that change.

A good tackle is all about pinning the arms so they cannot get the ball away. You tackle the hips the opponent will swing around and wait for the right opportunity to handpass. Umpires give you all day to move it after being tackled.

It's not that hard to adjudictae, if the guy being tackled raises their arm its easy to call play on. High tackles that start high are easy to spot.

Reactions: 6 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Surprised you were not aware of that change.

A good tackle is all about pinning the arms so they cannot get the ball away. You tackle the hips the opponent will swing around and wait for the right opportunity to handpass. Umpires give you all day to move it after being tackled.

It's not that hard to adjudictae, if the guy being tackled raises their arm its easy to call play on. High tackles that start high are easy to spot.
Tackle the hips and the umpire will let the tackled player do a 720 before releasing the ball.

Reactions: 1 users