All Australian stagers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

All Australian stagers

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
The 'architect' was mentioned, but that sacred cow must not be slaughtered, just gently caressed with a powder puff!

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
anyone got a stat on how many goals Ginnivan has from free kicks?

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Personally I think the first one is probably a free kick and the second one definitely is.
I’m with you. In fact, I didn’t think any of the examples were particularly damning. The first one he was hit while in mid air, so pretty good acting skills to ’throw yourself forward’! Second one was clearly around the neck. Any other player would have asked the question the same. The third wasn’t very clear but seemed too fast to call. The fourth one I thought he was just first to the ball The hawks guy jumped into his back. Easy pickings for Montagna. go hard at one of the old time darlings, not so easy.

No where near as bad as Dangerfiel’s second half efforts in the 3 finals we played against them. He’s by far the worst serial flopping offender IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
There's staging & there's ducking, both a heavy blight on the game

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There was a young Pie named Jack Ginnivan..
He got tackled on his chin-again..
but he'd dived for the free kick again..
Poor young Pie Jack Ginnivan..
Begin again..

Reactions: 1 user

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
McCrae crowing that the AFL have admitted that they missed 2 free kicks for Ginnivan.

Keep ducking on!

Reactions: 1 user

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Don't know if it's considered staging but Jack Silvagni seems to try to elicit sympathy from the umpires by having his face frozen in a permanently pained expression. It's like he ate one too many of the spicy stuffed olives off the antipasto platter and he realizes he has to get to a toilet immediately.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Selwood doesn't roll his shoulders - he lifts his arm to drag the tackle high. It's nothing to do with technique. Guys are trying to wrap arms around him and pin his arms so he can't get a handpass away. If you watch the tackles they start in the correct position but he's always ready to lift his arm and drag the tackle high. Grimes does it too. If you recall correctly the AFL identified this and they actually changed the interrpetation in 2017.

Under the new tightened interpretation, if a tackle is reasonable and the ball carrier is responsible for the high contact via a "shrug, drop, arm lift or duck, play on should be called".

The AFL interpretation also reads: "if the tackle is not reasonable, a free kick should be paid against the tackler, regardless of the actions of the other player."

Unfortunately when umps reward players for drawing frees they will continue to do it. IMO its not as much to do with tackling technique and more about the actions of the guy getting tackled. The AFL has dropped the ball on this, they think its more important to penalise a guy for taking one step on a mark or rolling his eyes at a free kick.
Absolutely true! On Grimma though, in his early days he was prolific.......not so much these days.

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
Adam Cerra needs to be in consideration… flops forward trying to draw in the back free kicks… did it really well against us.

Reactions: 1 users