Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Flew under the radar... I'd forgotten him as a player and as an assistant!

Good luck Mini, we'll be right behind you all the way

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Will be interesting to see his brief. Dimma seemed convinced that we could still make a go at it this season. I don't share that optimism.

If that is the plan, will be interesting to see what he does differently.

Another loss or two over the coming weeks and it has to be a play the kids mandate.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see his brief. Dimma seemed convinced that we could still make a go at it this season. I don't share that optimism.

If that is the plan, will be interesting to see what he does differently.

Another loss or two over the coming weeks and it has to be a play the kids mandate.
What difference does it make if we finish 15th or 8th, we dont have a first round draft pick.
If we say 'tank' we are only helping GWS

Reactions: 5 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Irrespective of who was/is the senior coach, the structure forward of the ball (and the huge void left by Lynch’s injury) had to be addressed for the remainder of 2023.

The delivery inside 50 has been poor, but it’s largely influenced by the set-up and the use of midfielders/backmen in the forward half. Huge rethink needed in this area.

Reactions: 9 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
The selection criteria will interesting.
Might see Cumbo back and a few other ideas of his own.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
best wishes Andrew. May you inspire our players, out thinking the opposition coaches and bring the desire and love of this games to all of our players, & fans.

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
*Let's see if he tags if a opposition player gets off the hook.
*Let's see if he makes moves during the game.
*Let's see his starting best (available) 22.
*Let's see of he stops our defence marking space and goes 1 on 1.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

McCrae, Leppa, Kingsley, Caracella all gone and now we're left with 2 sacked coaches and an assistant that's been invisible for the better part of 10 years.

• Haha

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Everybody involved with the recent premierships will have unique perspectives and ideas of their own to explain various aspects of the dynasty. Many such ideas would be just below the surface.

Dimma's departure creates an opportunity for discovery. Who knows what they'll find?

I'm excited to see not only what McQualter can find, but the players. Every dynasty team produces the next generation's premiership coaches.

The suddenness of Dimma's departure means all the little things people at the club have noticed along the way are still fresh in their minds - it means more confidence for a wider cast of people at the club to reflect, step up, and reintroduce some good ideas. Or innovate for themselves based off their fresh observations.

Geelong's 2011 & 2022 premierships are recent examples of a strong club carrying success forward with a wider cast after the sudden departure of a dynasty coach.

Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Grimo in the presser with Nank said McQualter been a senior coach in waiting ("been chomping at the bit to become coach"), has got a technical brain and communicates well with players. I don't want to see another Geisch situation, but if this bloke is good, let's make him coach as the current players, young and old, would feel more relaxed rather than a new voice.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
What difference does it make if we finish 15th or 8th, we dont have a first round draft pick.
If we say 'tank' we are only helping GWS

I'm not saying "tank". I'm saying "play the kids". I'm thinking more about next year and beyond. We need to get games into the players of the future, expecially with no first rounder this year. We need to know which kids can compete at the level. Yes, this may benefit GWS but we need to do whats right for our future and carrying kids into next year and beyond that can't compete at the level is not looking after our future

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Does anyone know much about McQualter in terms of philosophy and what he stands for? I know he will probably continue playing the “Richmond Way,” but that doesn’t mean he won’t tinker with a few things.

Our ball movement in the midfield is still dire. Our forward line can’t score. How does he correct this?

Reactions: 1 user

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
By all reports he is fantastic with players and communicating. All players love him. Not sure about game plans though. Much easier to get close with players as an assistant as you dont make the tough calls. No for me.
Caretaker coaches are on a hiding to nothing really. They would have to pull a miracle ala Roos to keep the job but the reality is most of them fail and then hurt their chances for future roles.
Id be shocked if we see any vast improvement with Mcqualter.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
By all reports he is fantastic with players and communicating. All players love him. Not sure about game plans though. Much easier to get close with players as an assistant as you dont make the tough calls. No for me.
Caretaker coaches are on a hiding to nothing really. They would have to pull a miracle ala Roos to keep the job but the reality is most of them fail and then hurt their chances for future roles.
Id be shocked if we see any vast improvement with Mcqualter.
He's a caretaker officially now, but he's been assistant as others who succeeded to become coach have been also. Grimo spoke well of him which gives me great hope he'd be best for the job instead of risking an external where the players have to start all over again with game plan, culture etc... The ones who fail are more the ones carrying the sh!t from a sacked coach and a low morale club who are near the bottom. We're nowhere near that.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
McCrae, Leppa, Kingsley, Caracella all gone and now we're left with 2 sacked coaches and an assistant that's been invisible for the better part of 10 years.
He may have been invisible to us Kong, but if I remember correctly after the premierships the players have specifically made mention of Mini several times as important in their achievement of gaining ultimate glory.
The players love him. Benny and Balmey are not idiots.

Reactions: 12 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Not sure about that had a huge part in our 3 flags been unlucky for a few senior jobs.