Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

Grimo in the presser with Nank said McQualter been a senior coach in waiting ("been chomping at the bit to become coach"), has got a technical brain and communicates well with players. I don't want to see another Geisch situation, but if this bloke is good, let's make him coach as the current players, young and old, would feel more relaxed rather than a new voice.
What did u expect them to say? He is Crap and he has no idea.
This will either turn out really bad Or breathe life back into the club listening to a new voice.
I'm expecting us to turn it in for the year and we will get WC results from now on.

What did u expect them to say? He is Crap and he has no idea.
This will either turn out really bad Or breathe life back into the club listening to a new voice.
I'm expecting us to turn it in for the year and we will get WC results from now on.
I don't know about that. We've got a bunch of players that will want to finish on a high, and most of the rest needing to prove themselves. I don't think we'll make finals - we're not good enough - but if McQualter is a talented coach, I'm happy for him to get this year as a starting point and see how it goes. The reality is none of us have the first clue as to how good he'll be, or how anyone else will be. I also think a good dose of realistic expectations are in order. He's not going to be the messiah, his job is galvanizing the group and moving them forward steadily.

Reactions: 3 users
The selection criteria will interesting.
Might see Cumbo back and a few other ideas of his own.
Pretty sure Cumbo would have been back this week regardless.
Cumberland, Sonsie and Clark need to be playing imo and I also hope to see Banks debuting soon as well.

Reactions: 1 user
- but if McQualter is a talented coach, I'm happy for him to get this year as a starting point and see how it goes. The reality is none of us have the first clue as to how good he'll be, or how anyone else will be.
Good pont. Must be the same queries about many of the names thrown being up.

History says interim coaches who stay on as the senior coach are rarely successful in the long term. Apart from Paul Roos about 20 years ago I am struggling to think of one. Beware the new coach bump
If you recall back to the sacking of Terry Wallace we had a short bump of form under Jade Rawlings and there were musings about him taking over but the Board resisted and went with Dimma.
Benny's comment about wanting to find the next Hardwick made me think we are looking for an untried senior coach but maybe I am reading too much into it

Reactions: 5 users
History says interim coaches who stay on as the senior coach are rarely successful in the long term. Apart from Paul Roos about 20 years ago I am struggling to think of one. Beware the new coach bump
If you recall back to the sacking of Terry Wallace we had a short bump of form under Jade Rawlings and there were musings about him taking over but the Board resisted and went with Dimma.
Benny's comment about wanting to find the next Hardwick made me think we are looking for an untried senior coach but maybe I am reading too much into it
It’s interesting. Plenty of assistant coaches who have moved and had success. Would they have had success if the senior coach walked? We will never know.

Dimma was under Clarkson.
Simpson was under Clarkson.
Beveridge under Malthouse and Clarkson
McRae was under Dimma. (VFL team was clearly performing really well) and looks this is going pretty well from W-L. Rutten a bust. We will see on GWS.

The only one I can think of is Goodwin under Roos at Melbourne - a bit different as planned succession plan

Seems like could also be selection bias in that being an assistant at a premiership winning club boosts your chances of getting the top job massively.

Reactions: 1 user

On the whole you are right so let’s hope McQualter does a Roos at Sydney and didn’t horse also come up through the Sydney ranks.

Reactions: 1 users
Balme on RSN this morning likened McQualter to Craig McRae - so obviously held in high regard

Reactions: 5 users

Benny later clarified those comments on 3aw.

Said he mis worded it and might have gave the wrong impression and that all options and backgrounds are on the table.

Reactions: 4 users
I have confidence that Balmey and Brendan doing the selection we will get the best available

Yes we know it wont be a reactionary, nepotistic, inconsistent, amateurish appointment.

We know Balmey and Benny and Jono will be proactive, creative, honest, and thorough.

And most likely get it right.

If McWalter is the best man, hell get the job. If theres a better person, he wont.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting to see from now how the players play for McQualter. Level of passion, hunger etc..
If we have the level of passion and hunger that we had in the Geelong game there is still a lot to like about the Tigers. It really is about maintaining that level. The inconsistencies of our skill levels is the concerning aspect of our team this season.

Reactions: 2 users