Andy is more than handy! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andy is more than handy!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Andy is more than handy!
Danny Frawley
richmondfc.com.au
2:21:22 PM Wed 30 July, 2003

Andy Kellaway continually puts his body on the line more than any other league footballer I’ve ever seen, which makes the fact he’s played more than 100 consecutive games truly remarkable.

‘Chubba’, as he’s affectionately known, is a dream to coach . . . an absolute ripper. He is one of the most team-orientated players you could wish to find and there’s never any doubt that every time he steps out in the Yellow and Black, he gives his utmost to the Tiger cause.

My first impression of Andy, when I took over as coach of the Club in 2000, was that he was going to have a real crack at it.

You could see that although he was quiet, he was a fierce competitor. But Andy really had to earn his spot in the side back then. I recall that his pre-season form wasn’t too flash and then he struggled in the first couple of home-and-away games of the 2000 season.

However, we soon worked out that Andy was best suited to being the third man in across our backline, and not having to take the opposition’s main forward. Our aim was to get him into an area where he could go for his grabs a lot more, instead of being totally defensive.

We soon discovered that he had a really good, attacking side to his game, which we were keen to exploit.

That bit of belief from the coaching group helped Andy’s transformation from a ‘spare-parts’, battling-type player, to an integral part of the Richmond side.

From my perspective as coach, it was great to find out that Chub actually could play – and at a very high standard!

His confidence continued to soar throughout my first year as coach, and it’s history now that he went on to win the Club’s prestigious Jack Dyer Medal (our Best and Fairest) in 2000. He also gained All-Australian selection, which was a tremendous feather in his cap.

Since then, Andy has gone on to become one of the first picked in the Tiger team each week. With his durability, dedication, desire, discipline and superb courage, combined with the football skills he possesses, Andy is the ideal defender.

I really admire the way Chub goes about his football, too. There’s no fuss or fanfare with him . . . just a grim determination to always do the right thing for the team’s sake.

It’s only now that Andy’s starting to realise that he’s a leader around the place – and I think that will further add to his value at Tigerland.

He is still pretty quiet, but has become a little more forthright, which is pleasing because he sets such a fine example for all the players at the Club to follow.

Andy’s not yet in our leadership group, but I’ll be very surprised if he’s not included in it next year.

Printer Friendly Page

Email a friend

shawry said:
I really admire the way Chub goes about his football, too. There’s no fuss or fanfare with him . . . just a grim determination to always do the right thing for the team’s sake.

How very true Spud. How we could do with a few more Andy Kellaways ;)

Andy and Dunc are really similar in their attitude and endevour.
Those guys are the heart and soul of the club type player and must be great role models for kids coming through.
When they retire there should be a Kellaway award named after them on b&f night. Not always the best player but the one who is willing to do whatever it takes for the sake of the club, with little regard to their own personal gain or even their own personal safety when it comes to that, ha.
(No jam tin jokes thanks guys. ;D )

AK must have terrible leadership qualities if he isn't in the leadership group at Richmond.

That aside he is a very good player and possesses the two qualities I value most in a footballer. Consistancy and being able to get the most from his natural abilities.

I know I have posted this before but for those who missed it our leadership group is:

Wayne Campbell
Darren *smile*
Matthew Richardson
Brad Ottens
Ben Holland
Joel Bowden
Greg Stafford
Duncan Kellaway

Koalalill said:
I know I have posted this before but for those who missed it our leadership group is:

Wayne Campbell
Darren *smile*
Matthew Richardson
Brad Ottens
Ben Holland
Joel Bowden
Greg Stafford
Duncan Kellaway

What a sorry bunch of under-achievers (Campbell excluded of course ;D). Here lies the main problem with the list.

I'm glad AK is being recognised for his superb attributes. I could image how he would be a role model around the club. He always does the right thing at the right time.

I'd be interested to know what the coaching staff think of Chaff as a leader/role model. I know he is very popular amoungst PRE'ers, but I sometime find him a bit frustrating - not punching when he is third in line and peeling off too readily from his oponent. IMO AK finds a better balance between defence and attack. Perhaps a bit harsh, I know he has a role as an attacking defender.
Thoughts?

Hit the nail on the head, I think, Bazz - his role is to get the ball out of there, a sweeper if you will (i hate that term, but I can't think of a better one). Necessitates him leaving his opponent, but his disposal has improved a lot this year and he usually hits a target. Agree can be a bit tardy on the spoil, though. Assume if he is re-signed for next year he is a future leader - seems very popular with the players.