Who's number do you wear? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who's number do you wear?

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I was reminded by another thread here this morning and also seeing him last week on the Eddie Show of Bruce Monteath. I used to have his number on the back of my footy jumper (No.11). When I was a little tacker I also used to have the famous no. 29 of KB. Once I got a little older I decided that wearing the no 29 was not cool any longer as KB looked about 75 years old running around out there with his wispy hair so I decided to take on someone a bit younger so Bruce Monteath became my man. A real gun and our last Premiership Captain. I also remember considering wearing the no 22 of Barry Rowlings back then as well.

What numbers did people wear on their Richmond jumpers as kids or do they still wear on their backs??

The first number I had on my jumper was 34, Jeff Hogg, which I kept on until the jumper was too small, but it also saw some Justin Murphy games

Now I have 4 jumpers, one with a 24, one with 7, one with 35 and one without a number. Depends how I'm feeling

Started with number 17 for 'Bones' Richardson, through 3 jumpers never had any other number.
Can't recall too many duds wearing it either.

hartbalme said:
Started with number 17 for 'Bones' Richardson, through 3 jumpers never had any other number.
Can't recall too many duds wearing it either.

Didn't Alan Edwards wear that number?

My mum knitted me my first Tiger jumper, with no. 4 on the back - Royce Hart. But I really wanted no. 3 - Roger Dean of course!

Just wear a Tiger cap to games these days (oops, plus other clothes) - my boys wear no 12 and a blank. I think we'll be putting no. 24 on it before too long...

No 8 Disco Roach,but no 24 is now my adopted number and the future leader of our club.

I used to wear the old duffle coat. Had No. 4 Geoff Raines on the back used to love him!!! Then No. 8 and one of the pockets for Michael Roach and then later No. 3 on the pocket for the Flea. I was devastated when Raines left, mum picked the old number off but the iron on letters were a *smile* to get off. Don't wear a footy jumper but my daughter has Bowden No. 11 on hers which i've been trying to take off for the last two years. When he first started we loved him she was only 2 then, but 5 years on his attittude just doesn't cut it. Might put 24 or 18 on next year as he probably won't be there!!

I had the iron on no. 3 for flea. Always wanted to go to 22 for Barry Rowlings but never got around to it. Since then there really hasn't been a player 'number on the back' worthy- though obviously this has much to do with the team they play in. I would be happy to go to 32- another future leader- and a booming left footer like me...( though mine are not booming, more dribbling really). ;)

First jumper had no 4. it was hand me down. My first brand new jumper had No. 8 for Disco

And the Duffle coat had an aaray of numbers, 3, 29, 8...

My mum knitted my first jumper also. We came down from the country to watch a game at Glenferrie oval, it was the first game I could remember.

Anyway I remember my mum pulling my jacket over my jumper whilst on the tram, I wanted to not wear my jacket as all the other boys on the tram were just wearing tiger jumpers and I wanted to be just like them. But when your 4, what can you do!

I later found out that my mum had sewn the yellow sash on in the opposite way by mistake! ;D

That’s why I was made to wear my jacket and not because it was too cold as was the reason given at the time!

Poor mum :D

Anyway, she quickly fixed that and put number 10 on the back for Sheadz.

When I got bigger she knitted me another jumper this time with number 8 for Roachy.

My 9 yo Daughter still wears that jumper to games today, along with my old 1980 premeirship iron on t-shirt out of the herald underneath.

Whilst on the subject of numbers, the players numbers look very slick and shiny on the paddock, but all the ones I’ve seen for sale don’t look the same. Short of buying a match day jumper does anyone know how to get hold of the same numbers or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Well i was 7 or 8 when i got my first richmond jumper with a number and that was 12 for Richo but then in 99 i changd my favourite player to Joel i think coz richo wasnt cute enough ::) but i cant realy remember and since then ive had 11 and dispite a whole lot of ppls opinions im not regreting it ;D

sean pean said:
When I got bigger she knitted me another jumper this time with number 8 for Roachy.

My 9 yo Daughter still wears that jumper to games today, along with my old 1980 premeirship iron on t-shirt out of the herald underneath.

Whilst on the subject of numbers, the players numbers look very slick and shiny on the paddock, but all the ones I’ve seen for sale don’t look the same. Short of buying a match day jumper does anyone know how to get hold of the same numbers or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Hopefully your daughter doesnt cop too much about wearing Pettifer's number

As for the slick and shiny number's on the jumpers, I have asked the club about them, but basically unless you buy a jumper that a player has worn on eBay, or get number's put on by the same company the club gets theirs done by you wont find those numbers.

sean pean said:
If you want shiny numbers try going to a store like spotlight or something and try to find similar material and cut out the numbers yourself.

lotus2 said:
No 8 Disco Roach,but no 24 is now my adopted number and the future leader of our club.
Ditto, lotus. Same here. Had Disco's on my jumper, plus many badges and patches on my duffle coat. Does anyone remember the narrow badges which had players names on them which would be sewn on the sleeve. Probably early 80's...

24 now for Cog's as this guy I see being a future captain.

Bring back the Duffle Coat I say!!!