Anthony Mundine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anthony Mundine

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
So you beleive that a celebrity's public image is all there is? Come on, you're being hoodwinked.

Once I was having a debate with my workmates about Mundine, who mostly hated him. They had all at some stage paid money to watch him fight. You gotta hand it to him.
I'm being hoodwinked by Mundines's celebrity public image? Are you saying his public image is all an act?

Also, people saying they'd pay to watch him fight isnt a great indicator. We have about 2 boxers in the country that the general public knows.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
I'm being hoodwinked by Mundines's celebrity public image? Are you saying his public image is all an act?

Also, people saying they'd pay to watch him fight isnt a great indicator. We have about 2 boxers in the country that the general public knows.

Exactly which makes his 'act' all the more obnoxious, he doesn't need to do it.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Horn knocks Mundane out in 96 seconds. Hopefully that’s the last we hear of this obnoxious little man.

E

easy_tiger

Always liked Chocco. Mostly spoke sincerely. Always put on a show, which was his job.

certainly retiring 5 years late. But that's not an original tale.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
A lucrative sham.

thats boxing L2.

The promoters make the money and the fighters get brain damage.

choc is clearly very punchy these days.

Its a sad and brutal sport that I can't help but enjoy from time to time.

But not cynical 2 bob circus fights.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
thats boxing L2.

The promoters make the money and the fighters get brain damage.

choc is clearly very punchy these days.

Its a sad and brutal sport that I can't help but enjoy from time to time.

But not cynical 2 bob circus fights.

About right. I have some empathy for him after listening to some recent interviews, I think he’s had some poor advice and is much different in private to his public persona.

Makes some good points about the.challenges of being a black fella. I think he could do some really good work post career.

Whether you like him or not he was a super talented sportsman.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Wuth all the talk and controversy that follows this bloke around, its often overlooked that his father was a really good boxer. Never got a world title, but back then they actually meant something, and Tony may have been a better boxer in his prime than his son ever was.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Another one in the Pro Choc camp.

No-one promoted fights better than him.

Played the bad guy to a tee to drum up interest that sucked many in. A million miles from his private persona.

Outstanding sportsman. Wish him well in retirement.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Leysy Days said:
Another one in the Pro Choc camp.

No-one promoted fights better than him.

Played the bad guy to a tee to drum up interest that sucked many in. A million miles from his private persona.

Outstanding sportsman. Wish him well in retirement.

Not sure about outstanding sportsman but sure an outstanding conman.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
No coincidence , other Aussie fighters who had success in their own right , Green , Soliman , Geale ,

All had their biggest paydays fighting Mundine ,

Promoters Dream , good guy vs bad guy ,

cant believe he was still milking it it at 44 , another 4 million thank you very much , sucked in public , he was finished years ago

E

easy_tiger

Tigers of Old said:
Not sure about outstanding sportsman but sure an outstanding conman.

He was a blistering league player,

and a very good boxer when he was on the right side of 30.

nobody landed a glove on him for a far while.

One of the extremely rare successful elite sports switches,

which indeed made him an outstanding sportsman.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:

Agree. Outstanding. And I think he will do a lot of good in the coming years and be remembered more fondly with the passing of time. He acknowledges he said many stupid things but he had a purpose.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
One of Australia's greatest ever athletes, he really disappointed me when he quit rugby league because he wrongly believed he wasn't selected for the Kangaroos because he was Aboriginal.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
easy said:

When he quit nrl , he was the highest paid player in the game at the time,

You could argue he was overpaid , st George may have paid overs to get him back from the broncos , but nevertheless he was up there ,

At his best in boxing , continually ranked in top 3 or 5 in his weight division , held 3 world titles ,

Always will be more remembered for pissing people off , but If you put that to one side , he was a bloody good sportsman .

Was a very good hurdler and basketballer as a junior apparently too , Sydney kings were chasing him before he signed in nrl.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigerman said:
One of Australia's greatest ever athletes, he really disappointed me when he quit rugby league because he wrongly believed he wasn't selected for the Kangaroos because he was Aboriginal.
I have my doubts that he really believed that privately. I suspect he had already decided to give boxing a go and hence it was of the contrived, faux-outrage variety, as a deliberate strategy to cultivate his exaggerated, "me against the world" poor man's Muhammed Ali, social justice warrior persona, for promotional purposes in the boxing world.