Anthony Mundine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anthony Mundine

E

easy_tiger

MD Jazz said:
Agree. Outstanding. And I think he will do a lot of good in the coming years and be remembered more fondly with the passing of time. He acknowledges he said many stupid things but he had a purpose.

I hope so Jazz. Although I suspect his brain has hit his skull a couple of times too many. But yeah, he's a proud and staunch black man who I respect.

tigerman said:
One of Australia's greatest ever athletes, he really disappointed me when he quit rugby league because he wrongly believed he wasn't selected for the Kangaroos because he was Aboriginal.

I think he should have been a walk up for that side at that time. Australia has never liked uppity black fellas. We like them when they are really good at sport, but are troubled and avoid eye contact. Cathy Freeman was a rare exception, Adam Goodes the rule.

kiwitiger said:
When he quit nrl , he was the highest paid player in the game at the time,

You could argue he was overpaid , st George may have paid overs to get him back from the broncos , but nevertheless he was up there ,

At his best in boxing , continually ranked in top 3 or 5 in his weight division , held 3 world titles ,

Always will be more remembered for p!ssing people off , but If you put that to one side , he was a bloody good sportsman .

Was a very good hurdler and basketballer as a junior apparently too , Sydney kings were chasing him before he signed in nrl.

Agree he was overpaid. Didn't know he was that good at basketball. One of those freakishly gifted blokes.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:
Australia has never liked uppity black fellas. We like them when they are really good at sport, but are troubled and avoid eye contact. Cathy Freeman was a rare exception, Adam Goodes the rule.

Yeah nah. NBA-style trash talk wouldn't fly here.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
easy said:
I think he should have been a walk up for that side at that time. Australia has never liked uppity black fellas. We like them when they are really good at sport, but are troubled and avoid eye contact. Cathy Freeman was a rare exception, Adam Goodes the rule.

While Arty Beetson wasn't "uppity' he not only played for the Kangaroos he Captained them.
Mundine may have been racially vilified as a player, but he was way out of line to say he wasn't selected for the Kangaroos because he was Aboriginal.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yeah nah. NBA-style trash talk wouldn't fly here.

Its funny how we've embraced most aspects of American culture; obesity, rampant consumerism, sporting terminology, popular culture, language, etc.

But we've never really tolerated self aggrandising.

I actually thought Mundine did one of the bravest things ever when he said in about October 2011, that America had 9/11 coming.

Im not necessarily saying I agreed with him, although I had certainly privately explored versions of that thought, but he took swimming against the tide to a new level.

it was so extraordinarily contrary to the unanimous dialogue, not even the most manic comedians would touch it.

But Chocco looked down the lens and just said it.

Really, when you think about it, he should be a poster man (deliberately not using boy) of the anti-PC police.

tigerman said:
While Arty Beetson wasn't "uppity' he not only played for the Kangaroos he Captained them.
Mundine may have been racially vilified as a player, but he was way out of line to say he wasn't selected for the Kangaroos because he was Aboriginal.

why do you reckon he wasn't selected Tman? He was arguably the most mercurial, game turning, athletically gifted player of the moment

see above. Chocco yelled the unutterable

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
easy said:
Australia has never liked uppity black fellas.

I hate sweeping statements like this & genuinely can't can't believe you compared a statesman like Goodes to a bozo like Anthony.
Australia generally doesn't like *smile*s whether they're black or white & I honestly believe Mundine is a first class tool where as I absolutely love Adam Goodes.

E

easy_tiger

Tigers of Old said:
I hate sweeping statements like this & genuinely can't can't believe you compared a statesman like Goodes to a bozo like Anthony.
Australia generally doesn't like *smile*s whether they're black or white & I honestly believe Mundine is a first class tool where as I absolutely love Adam Goodes.

fair enough 'Olds, almost all Australians do hate sweeping statements that highlight the fact of our deplorable treatment of black fellas.

But I'm of a mind that facts are often suited to sweeping statements. and I understand completely if you're not that way inclined.

Like its been discussed, Chocs public persona could certainly be stored in the first class tool box.

But what Goodesy and Mundine have in common, is that they were supremely gifted athletes who were proud, outspoken aboriginal men who used their roles as sportspeople to try to advance reconciliation. Sure Goodesy is more MLK and Mundine is more Malcom X, but it takes all sorts.

I agree that Australians don't like *smile*s, but we react differently to black *smile*s than white *smile*s.

Im genuinely surprised that your genuinely surprised ;D

I bet you a thousand bucks that Briggs never becomes mayor of Shepparton and I'll give you a hundred to one

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
I hope so Jazz. Although I suspect his brain has hit his skull a couple of times too many. But yeah, he's a proud and staunch black man who I respect.

He did sound a bit punchy in his most recent interview before the fight.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
fair enough 'Olds, almost all Australians do hate sweeping statements that highlight the fact of our deplorable treatment of black fellas.

But I'm of a mind that facts are often suited to sweeping statements. and I understand completely if you're not that way inclined.

Like its been discussed, Chocs public persona could certainly be stored in the first class tool box.

But what Goodesy and Mundine have in common, is that they were supremely gifted athletes who were proud, outspoken aboriginal men who used their roles as sportspeople to try to advance reconciliation. Sure Goodesy is more MLK and Mundine is more Malcom X, but it takes all sorts.

I agree that Australians don't like *smile*s, but we react differently to black *smile*s than white *smile*s.

Im genuinely surprised that your genuinely surprised ;D

I bet you a thousand bucks that Briggs never becomes mayor of Shepparton and I'll give you a hundred to one

Agree entirely. Unfortunately many don't want to listen to Mundine simply because of the style he delivers it in, but in essence his message is very similar to Goodes.

Most of us have no idea of the daily challenges faced by black men, nor aboriginals in general. You've got to have a little empathy for the start, obvioulsy for many Mundine wore that out.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:
I actually thought Mundine did one of the bravest things ever when he said in about October 2011, that America had 9/11 coming.

Im not necessarily saying I agreed with him, although I had certainly privately explored versions of that thought, but he took swimming against the tide to a new level.

it was so extraordinarily contrary to the unanimous dialogue, not even the most manic comedians would touch it.

Really, when you think about it, he should be a poster man (deliberately not using boy) of the anti-PC police.

He had every right to say it, but it wasn't very wise, coming from a recent convert to Islam. Indeed, it came back to bite him when his career ran into roadblocks in the US (Anthony Mundine's 9/11 rant after win) and he later issued a grovelling apology. It's like Jimmy Barnes writing You Got Nothing I Want after Chisel failed to catch fire in the US, then protesting years later that the Americans wouldn't get behind his solo career. People have memories; people have principles.

A true anti-PC warrior would've stood by his original comments. He's a provocateur.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He had every right to say it, but it wasn't very wise, coming from a recent convert to Islam. Indeed, it came back to bite him when his career ran into roadblocks in the US (Anthony Mundine's 9/11 rant after win) and he later issued a grovelling apology.

A true anti-PC warrior would've stood by his original comments. He's a provocateur.

You are right. neo-conservatives never apologise, they just contradict their previous view point and carry on.

Whereas the rest of us provocative apologists grovel :hihi

While I have no doubt whatsoever that Choco would love his thread on PRE turning political,

we have ample threads to be intolerant towards aboriginals, muslims, africans and Mason Cox.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:
You are right. neo-conservatives never apologise, they just contradict their previous view point and carry on.

Whereas the rest of us provocative apologists grovel :hihi

While I have no doubt whatsoever that Choco would love his thread on PRE turning political,

we have ample threads to be intolerant towards aboriginals, muslims, africans and Mason Cox.

A *smile*'s a *smile*, it's got nothing to do with his aboriginality. The public won't cop Tomic any more than they'll cop Kyrgios, and Kyrgios is darker.

His father is widely respected in boxing circles, despite being Aboriginal and achieving less.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He had every right to say it, but it wasn't very wise, coming from a recent convert to Islam. Indeed, it came back to bite him when his career ran into roadblocks in the US (Anthony Mundine's 9/11 rant after win) and he later issued a grovelling apology.

I also note, his comments on homosexuality being at odds with both his Islamic faith and traditional aboriginal culture, likely brought to the surface some of the cognitive dissonance of the social justice warrior brigade.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
I also note, his comments on homosexuality being at odds with both his Islamic faith and traditional aboriginal culture highlighted some of the cognitive dissonance of the social justice warrior brigade.

Think you meant to say his comments were in line with those cultures.

No two people see eye to eye on every subject. By offering public opinions on various political issues he's probably offended everyone at some point. Who knows what Fenech and Tszyu thought about these things, but they were smart enough to keep it about the sport.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
easy said:
Its funny how we've embraced most aspects of American culture; obesity, rampant consumerism, sporting terminology, popular culture, language, etc.

But we've never really tolerated self aggrandising.

why do you reckon he wasn't selected Tman? He was arguably the most mercurial, game turning, athletically gifted player of the moment

see above. Chocco yelled the unutterable

He was a very good player easy, not as good as he thought he was though.
I didn't rate his defense, thought he was too much of a show pony.

E

easy_tiger

tigerman said:
He was a very good player easy, not as good as he thought he was though.
I didn't rate his defense, thought he was too much of a show pony.

yeah I can dig that

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
A *smile*'s a *smile*, it's got nothing to do with his aboriginality.

The thing people can't get their head around L2R2, and I don't really mean any disrespect when I say that I think the chances of you getting your head around it are similar to Connor Menadue winning the Coleman medal next year,

is that when you're an Australian aboriginal, aboriginality has just about everything to do with just about everything

One way I guess I could frame it is this.

It would be like me turning around to the horrendous Collingwood supporter who sat behind me at the preliminary

and suggesting he was a *smile* (which he was by absolutely any measure you could apply), but it had nothing to do with him being a Collingwood supporter.

There are certain things that just cannot be untangled, and to be aboriginal in modern Australia is one of the most tangled things there are.

Anyways, i've said my bit and Im going to conserve my words on this thread, cause I know which direction it travels in from here.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Count me as one of the Mundine fans. What he did was incredible, to leave one sport at the top and move to another and make it to the top there - a rare feat. Not an outstanding sportsman?! Get off the grass! He fought for a world title in just his 10th fight. Against Sven Ottke, a man who unified the super-middleweight division and defended his title 21 times. Super-middleweight is one division down from light-heavyweight - these boys can hit. Mundine was beating Ottke (ahead on all judges' cards) when the champ landed a brutal blow and knocked him out in the 10th round. Do you know who beat Ottke? No one. Ever. Retired undefeated. 34-0. Yet Choc was 6 minutes from going to his house and taking his belt, as a noob to the sport.

Mundine would go on to beat the likes of Shane Mosley, a great of the sport who took it right up to Floyd Mayweather. He made a lot of money for the vastly inferior Danny Green, who no one would have given a sh!t about if he didn't use Mundine's notoriety to get attention. Their first meeting was a Mundine clinic, absolutely thrashed him. (Beat him the second time too, IMO, way out of his weight division.) Choc could box, man, legit. Beautiful mover, fast hands. Rare talent. Unlike just about very other fighter who wins titles in multiple divisions, he went down in weights, winning middleweight and light-middleweight titles. I can only imagine what he would have achieved had he been a boxer from the start.

On the 9/11 comments, I said the exact same thing that very day. I don't see how anyone can dispute it. America had been murdering other nations' civilians for decades. What did they expect? Thanks? Cheaper oil and zero consequences?

As for his persona, that's what it is - a front. He tried to be Ali but didn't have the gift of the gab. On his character, I don't know the man, but I'll tell you a story. A Bundjalung man stopped me outside the Beach Hotel in Byron 10 years ago. Asking for money. Drinker. You know, the bad look. Claimed to be Mundine's cousin, and boasted that Anthony would look after him and all his 'cousins'. That's an Aboriginal way that us white folks don't get. It's a pressure and a drain us nobodies don't face. Would you look after all your 'cousins'?

I have nothing but admiration for Anthony Mundine. For his talent and his courage. He is a great of Australian sport. Unquestionably.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
A *smile*'s a *smile*, it's got nothing to do with his aboriginality. The public won't cop Tomic any more than they'll cop Kyrgios, and Kyrgios is darker.

I couldn’t stand Hewitt early doors either. Other white folk sportspeople like Sam Newman, Margaret Court etc have copped plenty for their outspoken views & the way they deliver their messages. A tool is a tool. Mundane is most definitely one.

E

easy_tiger

spook said:
Count me as one of the Mundine fans. What he did was incredible, to leave one sport at the top and move to another and make it to the top there - a rare feat. Not an outstanding sportsman?! Get off the grass! He fought for a world title in just his 10th fight. Against Sven Ottke, a man who unified the super-middleweight division and defended his title 21 times. Super-middleweight is one division down from light-heavyweight - these boys can hit. Mundine was beating Ottke (ahead on all judges' cards) when the champ landed a brutal blow and knocked him out in the 10th round. Do you know who beat Ottke? No one. Ever. Retired undefeated. 34-0. Yet Choc was 6 minutes from going to his house and taking his belt, as a noob to the sport.

Mundine would go on to beat the likes of Shane Mosley, a great of the sport who took it right up to Floyd Mayweather. He made a lot of money for the vastly inferior Danny Green, who no one would have given a sh!t about if he didn't use Mundine's notoriety to get attention. Their first meeting was a Mundine clinic, absolutely thrashed him. (Beat him the second time too, IMO, way out of his weight division.) Choc could box, man, legit. Beautiful mover, fast hands. Rare talent. Unlike just about very other fighter who wins titles in multiple divisions, he went down in weights, winning middleweight and light-middleweight titles. I can only imagine what he would have achieved had he been a boxer from the start.

On the 9/11 comments, I said the exact same thing that very day. I don't see how anyone can dispute it. America had been murdering other nations' civilians for decades. What did they expect? Thanks? Cheaper oil and zero consequences?

As for his persona, that's what it is - a front. He tried to be Ali but didn't have the gift of the gab. On his character, I don't know the man, but I'll tell you a story. A Bundjalung man stopped me outside the Beach Hotel in Byron 10 years ago. Asking for money. Drinker. You know, the bad look. Claimed to be Mundine's cousin, and boasted that Anthony would look after him and all his 'cousins'. That's an Aboriginal way that us white folks don't get. It's a pressure and a drain us nobodies don't face. Would you look after all your 'cousins'?

I have nothing but admiration for Anthony Mundine. For his talent and his courage. He is a great of Australian sport. Unquestionably.

nice to see you Spook 'ol son. ;D

awesome little boxing synopsis :clap

the Mundines come from beautiful country out on The Clarence River. Walkers of Wallabies fame too.

James Hardy once donated a sandpit to the mission at Baryugil and filled it up with fluffy blue asbestos that the kids thought was unreal.

If you don't know it already, check out the story of The Tabulum Turtle Divers all-black rugby league side. Without using google, they would get half a dozen blokes at training, but played in 30 straight grand finals :hihi

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Of course it has to do with aboriginality. He played the racist elements of the aussie public like a fiddle. You can argue that is problematic, thats fine, I wouldn't agree. As for the Kyrios/ Tomic comparisons, big key diff, AM always gave his all on the field or in the ring., most recent cash-in notwithstanding.

One of my favourite Mundine quotes that has always stayed with me. He was doorstopped back in the late 90s, reporter asked him why he thought Nathan Blacklock couldn't make the SoO side or the Kangaroos, he was pulling off hat-tricks like shelling peas at the time and the highest scorer, he replied Í think it might have something to do with his name'.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Of course it has to do with aboriginality. He played the racist elements of the aussie public like a fiddle.

I'm not even aware of any black supremacist comments he might've made. But if you refuse to stand for the national anthem and get booed, even hated, I say you asked for it, you deserve it. And after this terrible country enabled him to become richer than most, it's the height of hypocrisy.

Hopefully he fades away into obscurity 'cos without the gloves, he's just another schmoe with opinions like the rest of us.