ARC Appeal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ARC Appeal

When it all boils down, if a string of holding the ball decisions had have been paid in our 50 in the first half, the score review would have been a mute point.

Reactions: 1 users
The decision can’t be changed and we are out, but ten’s of millions of dollars has been spent getting a club with a 100,000 members to that moment in time. That is not to mention what our players and staff have given up also.
There is a presumption that the goal umpire gave the correct decision.

Those calling for a look at the evidence that he in fact made the wrong call, are not squealing.

The authorities seem confident the correct result was reached. Transparency by the country’s biggest sporting body would hurt what?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
As cross as i am about this debacle I'm still extremely annoyed Lynch didn't put it beyond doubt.
Geez we have missed some gilt edged opportunities this season at crucial times.
In golf parlance, if the ball goes in the cup, it doesn’t matter whether it’s dead centre or sneaks through the side door.
Not sure how you can be annoyed when Lynch kicked the goal? Did you want it to look more aesthetically pleasing?
Think your annoyance should be directed elsewhere

Reactions: 3 users
I've said this for a couple of years:

Only overturn the blatant howlers that are immediately obvious within 5 seconds of a replay.

Simple.

If a ball barely grazes a post or blurry fingers very slightly appears to bend - umpire's call, because the technology is only reliable for the obvious howlers.

It's an obvious situation with an easy solution, I don't understand why they routinely risk overextending the technology every week.

Reactions: 5 users

Only overturn the blatant howlers that are immediately obvious within 5 seconds of a replay.

Simple.

If a ball barely grazes a post or blurry fingers very slightly appears to bend - umpire's call, because the technology is only reliable for the obvious howlers.

It's an obvious situation with an easy solution, I don't understand why they routinely risk overextending the technology every week.
Completely agree, and further to this, should be a behind the scenes thing as well. Let the umpire make the call and stand by it. Let the nerds in the arc review it before it goes back to the centre and ball gets bounced. If they can't make a definitive call in that time, let it go. The arc review should not be part of the game, or the spectacle, it adds nothing but frustration and slows the game down.

Reactions: 4 users
caro was good on offsiders. said Brisbane deserved to win, nobody is saying change the result, but Richmond fans paying their hard-earned deserve an explanation as to why it was not a goal. Gave it to the AFL, said they were being smug about it. Spot on.

Reactions: 8 users
Any chance AFL can get competent goal umps that can make a decision?
if they’re constantly going to rely on ARC they may as well not be there
Umpy made his call, but wasn't 100% certain he was right so called for the review just to make sure. Never have a problem with that.
Problem arises when the technology is insufficient to perform the task properly, or when there's an over rule of the umpires call without the AFL then showing " CLEAR " footage as to why the call was over ruled.
Blurry scungy out of focus crap on the over rule of a close call creates nothing but controversy, following it up with the usual arse covering by Gilligan only enhances the angst.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Simple.

I am over discussing this because we can argue until we are blue in the face but the fact is that it is Brisbane playing Melbourne next week
However your post is the crux of the discussion. The goal review system was brought in for the reason you state, to stop the howlers. This was not a howler and the reason we are in this discussion at all is because the AFL has allowed the system to become something that it was not meant to be.
100% agree with this post and would appeal to the AFL to just use the technology for what it was designed for which is to overturn the blatant howler which can be done quickly and decisively.

Simple.

Agree, but thus us mostly the fault of goal umpires who don't seem to wantto take responsibility for their decisions, and use the score review like a cripple uses a crutch.
The other culprits are the field umpires who seem to want to get involved with everything. They should just F off and try to do their own job properly which they struggle with at the best of times.

Reactions: 2 users
If you think about it, the AFL's current approach is more likely to wrongfully send someone to prison, so to say, than it is to wrongfully let a criminal get away with one.

I'm at peace with the decision now, but that's a pretty aggravating general concept for any governing body to tick off... twice.

Oh well, we move on.

Only the AFL could have a score review system that leaves you in more doubt after it has given its verdict than before.

This alone is reason enough scrap it and start again.

Reactions: 2 users

Simple.

That was why they initially brought it in, but as usual they’ve taken it too far.

Umpy made his call, but wasn't 100% certain he was right so called for the review just to make sure. Never have a problem with that.
Problem arises when the technology is insufficient to perform the task properly, or when there's an over rule of the umpires call without the AFL then showing " CLEAR " footage as to why the call was over ruled.
Blurry scungy out of focus crap on the over rule of a close call creates nothing but controversy, following it up with the usual arse covering by Gilligan only enhances the angst.
There's also a major disconnect with the process.
The umpire 'thinks' it's a goal isn't definitive so gives the 'ARC' wiggle room.
The goal ump should make a definite decision & go to the arc only to make certain it's correct.
If in any doubt it's umpires (definitive) call.

It's just dumbfounding & infuriating that the technology is so bad that they couldn't tell whether the ball went the through the goals or the behinds. Not whether it hit the post or not even.

He did. It was a goal. It's not his fault the ARC is *smile*ing *smile*ed.

Fair enough. Can't disagree with that.

Same here Oldie. He's done it before this season from the same spot and distance. Just bombs high instead of quick low snap.
Nothing wrong with going high - but the banana is probably the hardest kick. From that close he should be adept at a left foot snap like Jack

The decision can’t be changed and we are out, but ten’s of millions of dollars has been spent getting a club with a 100,000 members to that moment in time. That is not to mention what our players and staff have given up also.
There is a presumption that the goal umpire gave the correct decision.

Those calling for a look at the evidence that he in fact made the wrong call, are not squealing.

The authorities seem confident the correct result was reached. Transparency by the country’s biggest sporting body would hurt what?
But, but, we made mistakes, it was our fault, the vibe..... it looked like a point. Lynch wasn't jumping for joy.
FMD what people resort to saying flabbergasts me
I am agreeing wth you by the way

Reactions: 1 user
caro was good on offsiders. said Brisbane deserved to win, nobody is saying change the result, but Richmond fans paying their hard-earned deserve an explanation as to why it was not a goal. Gave it to the AFL, said they were being smug about it. Spot on.
they deserved to win more than us because....???

Glad to hear Dimma say the club has asked the AFL for an official please explain