Assistant Coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coaches

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Not concerned at all Fly and Leppa are quality , but We lost Rutten and Blake and we got better it's not like the players forget the process or teachings either.Lonergan is highly regarded and did great job with players back in Melbourne, Clark I rate to smart football brain and good development coach.The main thing is we kept Kingsley have herd him speak couple of times super impressive.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not concerned at all Fly and Leppa are quality , but We lost Rutten and Blake and we got better it's not like the players forget the process or teachings either.Lonergan is highly regarded and did great job with players back in Melbourne, Clark I rate to smart football brain and good development coach.The main thing is we kept Kingsley have herd him speak couple of times super impressive.

Kingsley is better then Carcella.
He was tasked with the job of improving our contested numbers.
As the season went on our numbers went through the roof.
Apparently at round 5 we were rated 15th by the end of the season we finished in the top 5.
And we were the best contested ball winning side in the finals.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That article sums up the issue being faced pretty well.

More and more demands on senior medical staff means less capacity for private practice and the associated loss of income but now the clubs are wanting to cut costs and wages which brings the tipping point forward faster.

The clubs are generally taking the approach that they can privately source many services on an as needed basis but I think that is fraught with danger in terms of the quality and speed of care.

Australian sports medicos are world renowned and have plenty of opportunities in highly paid international roles. If the AFL isn't careful it will suffer a huge talent drain from the industry, something that is already beginning.

True this, I just read an article in the Good Weekend and it talked about the medical staff at the Australian Ballet being better than in other countries because of the links to Australian sports medicine. Are we not the world experts on knees, stemming from Australian Rules and Netball being popular sports, both of which are hell on knees.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That article sums up the issue being faced pretty well.

More and more demands on senior medical staff means less capacity for private practice and the associated loss of income but now the clubs are wanting to cut costs and wages which brings the tipping point forward faster.

The clubs are generally taking the approach that they can privately source many services on an as needed basis but I think that is fraught with danger in terms of the quality and speed of care.

Australian sports medicos are world renowned and have plenty of opportunities in highly paid international roles. If the AFL isn't careful it will suffer a huge talent drain from the industry, something that is already beginning.
Doubt it's the clubs wanting to cut costs on medico wages TBR. Flogs in suits at AFLHQ have butchered the soft cap and clubs have virtually no choice bar to reduce their expenditure by about 3 or 4 mill per year.
By the report in that article the Moggies whole medical set up looks to have had the *smile* kicked out of it all in one hit. Doesn't matter what the sporting code is. If you want to have a premium elite competition you need to have an elite sports medicine set up to properly look after all the athletes.
AFL honchos grubbing around in the dirt trying to scrounge up a few shiny shekels by making the clubs run their medical, fitness n rehab sectors like the old school bush footy clubs of fifty years ago. Give the trainers a wet towel n a can of magic spray n the players can hobble around as best they can, it'll toughen them up a bit.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Scarlet looks on the way out of Geelong.

Now that’s someone we should seriously look at to take over as our defence coach .

Teague as our ball movement / forward coach.

Kingsley to go back to midfield coach - stoppage etc.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Now that’s someone we should seriously look at to take over as our defence coach .

Agree. Looks like a mass exodus from Pricky who (strangely) looks likely to get an extension.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

I wonder if someone from the current coaching staff needs to go or be moved sideways in order for fresh blood to come in. If not, I'd be surprised if we added more than one other assistant.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Agree with that plan totally.

Does anyone know if the soft cap is increasing this year?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree with that plan totally.

Does anyone know if the soft cap is increasing this year?

Just found an article on it, its increased by $250k from $6.1m. There were a number of clubs (generally the richer ones plus GWS - which includes us) wanted the soft cap to increase to $7.5m. Clearly we failed in those negotiations.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Just found an article on it, its increased by $250k from $6.1m. There were a number of clubs (generally the richer ones plus GWS - which includes us) wanted the soft cap to increase to $7.5m. Clearly we failed in those negotiations.

The AFL need to keep their communist agenda going.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Feels like we aren’t that interested in bringing in fresh blood.

We haven’t been linked with any (Teague excluded) one but that doesn’t mean we haven’t been trying.

Working in the shadows is fine. But we need fresh thinking in the coaches box.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I wonder if someone from the current coaching staff needs to go or be moved sideways in order for fresh blood to come in. If not, I'd be surprised if we added more than one other assistant.
Well it was rumoured that McQualter was off to Carlton if Lyon got the job.

I am not sure what the contract status is on any of our assistants. Maybe @taztiger4 might know?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We also get $100k back after kebabgate.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
things Are quiet down at tiger land.
the shutters are down.
we tend to keep things within the four walls.
quietly quietly..

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm disappointed that McCrae and Leppa are at Scumwood. Both were a big part of our success; 3 flags in 4 years. Hopefully they see nothing like that at Scumwood.

I'd also like to see some refreshing of our coaching ranks. Apart from Dimma and Kingsley I feel we are a bit light on for top quality and experience.

Reactions: 12 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm disappointed that McCrae and Leppa are at Scumwood. Both were a big part of our success; 3 flags in 4 years. Hopefully they see nothing like that at Scumwood.

I'd also like to see some refreshing of our coaching ranks. Apart from Dimma and Kingsley I feel we are a bit light on for top quality and experience.
The Pies are still trying to copy us. No guarantee it works despite those guys previously being good operators.
Leppa in particular must have some question marks over him given he stepped out of the system due to burnout.
Fly still untested in a snr AFL role.
They'll always be welcome at Richmond once out of the system but fingers crossed they fail here.

Reactions: 4 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
very very quiet at punt road, hope they're not reseting on their laurels, and content with what they've achieved the last 4 years.