Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

I agree that we should aspire to have the same rights. Indigenous culture has the same right to be represented in our national symbols as the European settlers who were involved in the story of the eventual creation of Australia. It’s all part of the story.

But if we tally up indigenous vs non-indigenous representation, your ‘same right’ dream doesn’t exist:

Flag - 0 indigenous representation
National day - 0 indigenous representation
Anthem - 0 indigenous representation (though it could be argued that the change from ‘young’ to ‘one’ is a small admission that they exist.)
Indigenous flag flown every day of the week at National & State instituitions. along side the ANF.

That doesn't explain why it needs to be on January 26. It can and should be on another day. Australia is a country of inclusiveness. January 26 is not a inclusive date.

Move it to the 25 January then. There isn't any history in that date. Still in summer school holidays. Everyone can be included

Move it to the 25 January then. There isn't any history in that date. Still in summer school holidays. Everyone can be included
Yeah but does that fall on a weekend? Pointless having a celebration day unless ya can make a long weekend out of it. Maybe we should just have a roaming OZ day every year just the same as Easter.
Long weekend *smile* up n doesn't really matter what day Jesus carked it or the Poms arrived tapping on the door, just as long as we get the big party day n extra recovery time.

It used to be the Friday or Monday nearest, then Hawke changed it.

I always liked the idea that the day moved to make sure we got a long weekend. Now that's Australian culture. Which is more important - a long weekend or a patriotic holiday? Clearly the long weekend wins by a mile because Australia has traditionally not been a very patriotic country.

Indigenous Australians weren't backward, far from it, they were so civilised that it never entered their mind that some bunch of whitefellas would just turn up and claim the whole continent without even saying hello.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
There is a massive difference between patriotism and nationalism.
Nationalism is what we are seeing in Israel at the moment, it is a blind acceptance that everything about a country is good and right and that unless you have that blind acceptance you don’t love your country. It is characterised by propaganda and by a lack of acceptance of criticism.
Patriotism is loving your country and accepting it for what it is both good and bad, and trying to make it better.
Way too many in this country conflate the two.
Nationalism is to me inherently a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The problem with both nationalism and patriotism is the end result.

We should feel lucky and grateful to be in this country.

We should not feel some sort of divine worthiness because we are.

We are not better because we are Australian. We are lucky. And even within that, some of us aren't.

Reactions: 5 users
Couple of guys stood protecting a Sydney Captain Cook statue overnight then after 7 minutes cops ordered them to move on.

The Few say we are such a bad country then why is it people from overseas are busting their guts to get here ?.

The Few say we are such a bad country then why is it people from overseas are busting their guts to get here ?.
Missing a lot of nuance here.
I haven’t heard anybody say, or even suggest, we’re a ‘bad country’.

Fantastic country. Wonderful place to live. We all love it and most of us want a day to celebrate it.

But.

It’s a bad date for our national day. That’s all. That’s the argument.

Reactions: 3 users

Fantastic country. Wonderful place to live. We all love it and most of us want a day to celebrate it.

But.

Exactly, and this is what Tigaman and Bengal completely ignore. No-one is saying what they are saying, those that oppose Australia Day don't oppose Australia, but they want an Australia Day that every Australian can celebrate this great nation on, but its easy for the morons to state "everyone hates Australia" blah, blah, blah.

But.

Not so much missing the nuances as creating a straw man which is easy for them to attack.

DS

But.

Good post.
Im guessing you wont get a response tho from those who are adamant Australia Day can only be held on Jan 26, like my post asking why it has to be Jan 26 didnt get any responses.

Good post.
Im guessing you wont get a response tho from those who are adamant Australia Day can only be held on Jan 26, like my post asking why it has to be Jan 26 didnt get any responses.
We celebrate the day First Fleet landed at 26 March 1788 Sydney Cove raised the flag drank some rum toasted the King etc etc.. If you are somewhat vague about that event Google Wikipedia.

Now Australia Day done & dusted for another year so what is on the agenda for you Few to protest about.

We celebrate the day First Fleet landed at 26 March 1788 Sydney Cove raised the flag drank some rum toasted the King etc etc.. If you are somewhat vague about that event Google Wikipedia.
So the best date to celebrate this great country is the date the English raised the English flag and settled a bunch of criminals here?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Surely Dutton will have a go at Woolies for selling Chinese New Year decorations. Then something about hot cross buns.