Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

Last Monday in January was always a public holiday as long as I could remember growing up till it became on the 26th later on.

History of Australia Day

Did you know, it wasn't until 1935 that all Australian states and territories used the name 'Australia Day' to mark 26 January. And it wasn't until 1994 that 26 January became a public holiday across the nation.

The bigger question now is what is Australia? Do we care anymore? What are our core values and do we as a nation stand for anything?
Our demographic has changed so much that the issue is not when we celebrate but what we are celebrating.
Nah, sorting out our holidays is more important that what we are.

But seriously, what is any country and what does any country actually stand for?
Every time there is an election, or referendum, we see that many people in this country have very opposing values. And that is ok.

Reactions: 1 user
I was watching a London academic speaking on YouTube where the speaker of middle eastern background was explaining that London has lost its identity largely through the development of many enclaves where cultural groups develop. Now that the London second and third generation groups are a 31% minority there is no dominant culture.
The gist of his argument was that when multiculturalism is ignored, the result can be a divided and suspicious overall community.
I don’t know the answer, but a majority multicultural society is at great risk of losing its way.
The easy thing to say is good riddance to the old ways, but many cultures who are attracted to western nations remain far more invested in their home lands.
Why are western cultures attractive on one hand and then shunned by so many?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was watching a London academic speaking on YouTube where the speaker of middle eastern background was explaining that London has lost its identity largely through the development of many enclaves where cultural groups develop. Now that the London second and third generation groups are a 31% minority there is no dominant culture.
The gist of his argument was that multiculturalism is ignored, the result can be a divided and suspicious overall community.
I don’t know the answer, but a majority multicultural society is at great risk of losing its way.
The easy thing to say is good riddance to the old ways, but many cultures who are attracted to western nations remain far more invested in their home lands.
Last time I was in London thought I was in Cairo or Delhi. All the old pubs gone replaced by curry & kebabs shops. Arrived Heathrow one trip met by a Sikh customs officer who apparently had a grudge against Aussies. After a few odd quests asked what we were in London for. He was not impressed when I replied ' to pay homage to our Queen ". As for rude custom officers rudest was at Newark Airport US of A. Flown in from Canada & this flog must have had a bad night at home & his surname was Skelton. Say fifteen years on still remember his tag.

The gist of his argument was that multiculturalism is ignored, the result can be a divided and suspicious overall community.
I’d have a guess and say more government benefits and opportunities than in their homeland

Multiculturism is a recipe for disaster. All it is doing is creating cultural hatred here in Australia. Just one example do you think Serbs & Croats forget their differences when they migrate here.

I’d have a guess and say more government benefits and opportunities than in their homeland
That's undoubtedly true

I always find it a bit strange when we talk about immigrants who come to Australia, or to other western countries, for better opportunities and a better quality of life that some people expect them to forget where they came from and immediately become "just like us" (whatever that means). I lived overseas for 13 years and whilst i never saw that as permanent we always embraced where we lived but also sought out from time to time snippets of home, that comfort of where you come from. Whether that be a public holiday or some other people, music or anything else it is a natural reaction.

People who come from China, India, Lebanon or wherever are not going to suddenly stop being Chinese, Indian or Lebanese and will always be invested in their home countries and their base culture to some extent but to me that doesn't mean they can't be Australian as well.

Reactions: 3 users
or less chance of being locked up or killed because of their ethnicity or religion.
having worked with refugees settling in Australia i can confidently say most just want to be safe and stable.

Reactions: 5 users
Australia Day should be light hearted celebration of our tolerance and freedom to live together and in security in one of the best places to live on the planet.
We need a virtue signalling free day and a break from the self loathing that has become demoralising.

break from the self loathing that has become demoralising.
The only way to get over that is to tackle reconciliation, and the republic is linked to that. Its extremely simple. But unfortunately the majority continue to delude themselves and deny reality, or be racist if you want to be honest, deep down they know what is right, at least enough of them to swing that majority, which is where a lot of it comes from. People go on the attack and double down when they are in the wrong. Until Aboriginal people are accepted and appreciated in their own country, and we look to be going backwards on that front, the demoralising self loathing will continue.

You can't just all act happy and pretend something bad is not happening when something bad is happening. It doesn't work like that

Could have sworn the alarmists were predicting a hot, dry summer this year. Another guess bites the dust, but the rains and everything will still be climate change because we changed the name from global warming to cover every weather event.
This has to be close to the longest period Australia hasn’t been in drought in my lifetime, heaven help us when we re-enter drought again. We all know what the cause of that will be.
Forced to watch CNN as in Asia and no decent news channel and had to laugh when they were blaming the worst wine season in 60 years in France on climate change, gee wonder what happened 60 years ago. Had an entire segment on it and not one person thought to ask the obvious question, why proof is it that it’s climate change and what happened 60 years when it was worse.

• Haha
Could have sworn the alarmists were predicting a hot, dry summer this year. Another guess bites the dust, but the rains and everything will still be climate change because we changed the name from global warming to cover every weather event.
This has to be close to the longest period Australia hasn’t been in drought in my lifetime, heaven help us when we re-enter drought again. We all know what the cause of that will be.
Forced to watch CNN as in Asia and no decent news channel and had to laugh when they were blaming the worst wine season in 60 years in France on climate change, gee wonder what happened 60 years ago. Had an entire segment on it and not one person thought to ask the obvious question, why proof is it that it’s climate change and what happened 60 years when it was worse.
I know, I am sick of all this climate alarmism also. Next they will be telling us the polar ice caps are melting

• Haha
In the words of the great Harry Hoo, Amazing.

I know, I am sick of all this climate alarmism also. Next they will be telling us the polar ice caps are melting
Yeah BT has got all these smarty pants scientists worked out. You just got to laugh really.

Reactions: 1 users
Australia Day should be light hearted celebration of our tolerance and freedom to live together and in security in one of the best places to live on the planet.
We need a virtue signalling free day and a break from the self loathing that has become demoralising.
Concur