Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

Should simply cancel all of these public holiday events as each and every one of then offends someone somewhere. While we're at it we should also cancel the naming of the various days of the week as most of them were named after the mythical gods of whatever vicious and inappropriate cultures. Should just count them day 1 day 2 day 3 until such time as we reach the approved end of year day then start the count again.

Could have sworn the alarmists were predicting a hot, dry summer this year. Another guess bites the dust, but the rains and everything will still be climate change because we changed the name from global warming to cover every weather event.
This has to be close to the longest period Australia hasn’t been in drought in my lifetime, heaven help us when we re-enter drought again. We all know what the cause of that will be.
Forced to watch CNN as in Asia and no decent news channel and had to laugh when they were blaming the worst wine season in 60 years in France on climate change, gee wonder what happened 60 years ago. Had an entire segment on it and not one person thought to ask the obvious question, why proof is it that it’s climate change and what happened 60 years when it was worse.
Mate are you seriously questioning whether we're in a climate change event? It's like watching a stock whose 30 day average is subterranean and you come out every 13 days to profess it's bullish as the stock is up that hour. You've got to look at the long game with a global view. If not go ask the coral up north how they're going. Anyway I think this belongs on another thread.

Attachments

• warming.png
    warming.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 1 users
As a nation, we are losing the pride and confidence that makes us so attractive.
We have the resources to drastically improve the lot of our most deserving First Nations people but instead we focus on tokenistic referendums, flag waving, ceremonies, name changing and endless bureaucratic nonsense. Often at local council level for heaven’s sake.
Result: more division among those we tried to help.
It is common sense to direct material and substantial attention to those Australians who are most in need, regardless of who they are.
First Nations
Migrants
Refugees
Disadvantage is disadvantage.

To everyone according to their need.

Mate are you seriously questioning whether we're in a climate change event? It's like watching a stock whose 30 day average is subterranean and you come out every 13 days to profess it's bullish as the stock is up that hour. You've got to look at the long game with a global view. If not go ask the coral up north how they're going. Anyway I think this belongs on another thread. But nSorry posted on wrong thread. No need to ask up noth re the coral, the Australian institute of marine reported last year the highest coral coverage since they’ve been keeping records. Another myth exposed.

You're right coverage has improved but they also warned "The results come off the back of mass coral bleaching events that have happened at an unprecedented frequency — four out of six occurred in the last seven years. Mass bleaching, caused by marine heatwaves, was not known to occur at all prior to 1998."
Also the new growth is mostly one type of fast growing species. So coverage is coming at the cost of diversity. All in all the reef is 1.5degC warmer than 100 years ago. To me this is all bad and no myth.

Reactions: 1 user
You're right coverage has improved but they also warned "The results come off the back of mass coral bleaching events that have happened at an unprecedented frequency — four out of six occurred in the last seven years. Mass bleaching, caused by marine heatwaves, was not known to occur at all prior to 1998."
Also the new growth is mostly one type of fast growing species. So coverage is coming at the cost of diversity. All in all the reef is 1.5degC warmer than 100 years ago. To me this is all bad and no myth.

Last year's report I assume BT means the 21-22 Report, where it states:
  • In periods free from intense acute disturbances, most GBR coral reefs demonstrate resilience through the ability to begin recovery. However, the reefs of the GBR continue to be exposed to cumulative stressors. The prognosis for the future disturbance regime suggests increasing and longer-lasting marine heatwaves, as well as the ongoing risk of outbreaks of crown-of-thorns starfish and tropical cyclones. Therefore, while the observed recovery offers good news for the overall state of the GBR, there is increasing concern for its ability to maintain this state.
or if it's the 22-23 report which states:
  • Most coral reefs of the GBR demonstrate resilience in the absence of acute disturbances showing the ability to recover from events causing widespread mortality. However, as the 2022 mass bleaching event highlighted, and crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks, coral disease and Tropical Cyclone Tiffany further emphasise, the reefs of the GBR continue to face cumulative stressors. Even without causing mass mortality, bleaching events can hinder hard coral growth. The future is forecasted to bring more frequent, intense and enduring marine heatwaves, alongside the persistent threat of crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks and tropical cyclones.

Reactions: 1 users
We are consumed by guilt.
No it doesn’t, that’s not what virtue signalling is at all.
Virtue signalling is stating views that you may or not not agree with but the only reason you state them is to make yourself popular or relevant. By saying people are virtue signalling you are questioning the integrity of their views.

As a nation, we are losing the pride and confidence that makes us so attractive.
We have the resources to drastically improve the lot of our most deserving First Nations people but instead we focus on tokenistic referendums, flag waving, ceremonies, name changing and endless bureaucratic nonsense. Often at local council level for heaven’s sake.
It is common sense to direct material and substantial attention to those Australians who are most in need, regardless of who they are.
First Nations
Migrants
Refugees

Calling the referendum "tokenistic" suggests either bias or ignorance that will cloud your other opinions.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year's report I assume BT means the 21-22 Report, where it states:
  • In periods free from intense acute disturbances, most GBR coral reefs demonstrate resilience through the ability to begin recovery. However, the reefs of the GBR continue to be exposed to cumulative stressors. The prognosis for the future disturbance regime suggests increasing and longer-lasting marine heatwaves, as well as the ongoing risk of outbreaks of crown-of-thorns starfish and tropical cyclones. Therefore, while the observed recovery offers good news for the overall state of the GBR, there is increasing concern for its ability to maintain this state.
or if it's the 22-23 report which states:
  • Most coral reefs of the GBR demonstrate resilience in the absence of acute disturbances showing the ability to recover from events causing widespread mortality. However, as the 2022 mass bleaching event highlighted, and crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks, coral disease and Tropical Cyclone Tiffany further emphasise, the reefs of the GBR continue to face cumulative stressors. Even without causing mass mortality, bleaching events can hinder hard coral growth. The future is forecasted to bring more frequent, intense and enduring marine heatwaves, alongside the persistent threat of crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks and tropical cyclones.
Obviously some master chef type person needs to pull the finger out n find a fancy way to cook up all of them star fish. Help reduce two problems in one go.

What's all this science denial doing in our racism thread?

Can we please stick one head in the sand at a time?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
First Nations
Migrants
Refugees

We have lost that pride because times have changed and we refuse to acknowledge reality and change with it. You think ignoring reality and sweeping critical issues under the carpet will restore the chesty bonds aussie image? Good luck.

More division? based on what? The Murdoch Press and Sky News whose interests are served by exaggerating and promoting division? The numbers don't lie, Aboriginal people wanted the Voice.

And that is not common sense, it is one nation ignorance. Common sense is to address the reasons why Aboriginal people are far worse off than white Australians.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread and a few others reminds me of a great Ricky Gervais quote
“ other people’s opinions are worth as much as mine but the trouble starts when people think their opinion is worth as much as my facts”

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The main trouble with Australia is breathtaking, wilful, ignorance, as exhibited in this thread and others. Ironically, the types who love to rail against 'wokeness' and 'PC gone mad' tend to get their knickers in a twist when you point out how stupid they sound. Hey man, just saying it how it is - isn't that how it goes? I just call it as I see it! You're dumb. Sorry if that's not PC enough for you.