Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What year did ‘ Australia Day’ actually become the 26th January?
All Australian States marking Jan 26th as Australia Day ? 1935

The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War One. In 1915, the mother of four servicemen thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers, and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[30][29] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[31] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[32] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[32] 27 July 1917,[33] and 26 July 1918.[34]

Victoria adopted 26 January as Australia Day in 1931,[22] and by 1935, all states of Australia were celebrating 26 January as Australia Day (although it was still known as Anniversary Day in New South Wales).[19] The name "Foundation Day" persisted in local usage.
[35]

Interestingly, the first recorded Invasion Day type of event happened only 3 years later, 1938

The celebrations in 1938 were accompanied by an Aboriginal Day of Mourning. A large gathering of Aboriginal people in Sydney in 1988 led an "Invasion Day" commemoration marking the loss of Indigenous culture.[7] Some Indigenous figures and others continue to label Australia Day as "Invasion Day", and protests occur almost every year, sometimes at Australia Day events.[55] Thousands of people participate in protest marches in capital cities on Invasion Day/Australia Day; estimates for the 2018 protest in Melbourne range into tens of thousands.[56][57][58][59]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
All Australian States marking Jan 26th as Australia Day ? 1935

Interestingly, the first recorded Invasion Day type of event happened only 3 years later, 1938
I think the first "Invasion Day event" was 1788.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I am a bit ambivalent about changing the date but would probably be leaning more towards keeping it as it is historical. But I can see why a proportion of the indigenous population are against it. I would be interested in seeing an indepth survey of indigenous people to see what percentage are for or against it. The loudest make the most noise but whether that is a majority or minority ( or evenly split), I can’t tell.
Just out of interest, most of our public holidays commemorate or celebrate events that didn’t occur on the dates we have off.
January 1st- New Years Day. Always held on that date.
January 26th- Celebrating the arrival of the first fleet on that date
Labour Day- Celebrating the 8 hour day. It is held on the second Monday in March in Victoria and some other states, but different days in other states, so not one specific day.
Easter- Remembering the death and resurrection of Jesus. Good Friday is a different date every year so not on the day it (supposedly) happened
April 25th- Anzac Day , commemorating the landing of Anzac troops at Gallipoli on that day in 1915 and honouring all those that served in the armed forces since
Queen’s Birthday- not her actual birthday. Not held on the same day in all states.
Grand Final Eve- Only in Victoria. Should be renamed Richmond Celebration Day
Cup Day- Only in metro Melbourne on the day of the cup
Christmas Day- day Jesus was supposedly born but date was arbitrarily chosen centuries ago
Boxing Day- always on the 26th December, but for what reason

I guess my point being that most holiday dates don’t bear any relevance to what the day is meant to commemorate

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I would be interested in seeing an indepth survey of indigenous people to see what percentage are for or against it. The loudest make the most noise but whether that is a majority or minority ( or evenly split), I can’t tell.
A recent Roy Morgan poll asking the question

On January 26, 1788, Captain Arthur Phillip landed at Sydney Cove. In your opinion should January 26 be known as Australia Day or Invasion Day?

actually found only 27% of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander respondents wanted the day known as "Invasion Day".

“Perhaps most surprisingly amongst all the arguments about what the day should be known as is the views of people who consider themselves Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. Amongst this group 73% say the day should be known as ‘Australia Day’ compared to only 27% that say it should be known as ‘Invasion Day’ – a significantly higher level of support for ‘Australia Day’ than amongst other Australians.”
https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8621-roy-morgan-survey-australia-day-january-25-2021-202101250620

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
i am pleased that you are able to work in your spiel into a thread about a public holiday.
you might want to be a little careful tho because without government there can be no public holidays. i dont think the masses will support any movement that doesnt give them paid days off.
Why did you bother to write this? Adds nothing but I guess it strokes your ego.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I may be way off here , however to me Australia Day is about celebrating been Australian, no matter your history on why you are a Proud Skippy . After I finished work I’ve celebrated it by dinning on some pork gyozas, crushed onion bahji with spinach and garlic aioli in a wrap , washed down with some carrot juice .

Race and Religion ,theres never full aggreance

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Surprised by the majority result of the poll.

It certainly has become extremely sensitive. I am very much for changing it. But I don't enjoy the debate when discussing with friends.

I think there needs to be at a minimum a national holiday to recognise the history of our First Nations, and make it a genuine celebration of their culture and our land. Replace either Queens Birthday (what a bloody wank) or Labour Day. It may go some way to diffusing the celebration of the founding of Sydney, which is actually what the date recognises (being the shift from Botany Bay to Port Jackson).

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Surprised by the majority result of the poll.

It certainly has become extremely sensitive. I am very much for changing it. But I don't enjoy the debate when discussing with friends.

I think there needs to be at a minimum a national holiday to recognise the history of our First Nations, and make it a genuine celebration of their culture and our land. Replace either Queens Birthday (what a bloody wank) or Labour Day. It may go some way to diffusing the celebration of the founding of Sydney, which is actually what the date recognises (being the shift from Botany Bay to Port Jackson).
The Queens Birthday is a silly one. I’m not even sure which British monarch’s birthday it celebrates. I think it may be George V. The thing about it is they don’t even celebrate it in England! It’s probably there because it’s the only public holiday during a fairly long period without one.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Queens Birthday is a silly one. I’m not even sure which British monarch’s birthday it celebrates. I think it may be George V. The thing about it is they don’t even celebrate it in England! It’s probably there because it’s the only public holiday during a fairly long period without one.
Canada has Victoria Day in honour of Queen Victoria. She died in 1901.

Don't want to get off topic but I don't see it as a bad thing to be grateful for our heritage which has bequeathed us a very stable system of government and living.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
i really think it is an issue people oppose for the sake of opposing change, or because they dont want Indigenous Australias to have a "win".
I think that would only be true for a very small minority. I don't think many of those opposing the change actively dislike indigenous people. It's unlikely they even know any or have spoken to any of Australia's indigenous. They just get fed *smile* about indigenous being lazy no hopers/dole bludgers/benefit bludgers etc. I don't think they are opposed to indigenous having a win as you say, more opposed to the method. They think they get given advantages they themselves don't get. They listen to Pauline say why don't the indigenous just get over it (the "invasion") and get a job etc. They have little empathy for the circumstances of many indigenous. All they think is that they are going to lose something (their Australianism?) that they probably couldn't even describe if things change.

Things are changing, small steps such as the national anthem change. Australia day will be next. Kids are far more educated about the real history now. But I think the methods of the left also need to change. They need to listen as well. Dialogue/communication is the only way forward. Violent protesting gets us nowhere.

Personally I think Cook and his crew should be celebrated as great daring adventurers/navigators. We can't turn back the clock nor change the truth of what happened. As long as we tell the story factually, warts and all, the future will be better for all.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Why did you bother to write this? Adds nothing but I guess it strokes your ego.
not so much ego as boredom. you are right tho, i prob shouldnt have responded to your attempt to bring libertarianism into another thread.

• Sad

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
A recent Roy Morgan poll asking the question

On January 26, 1788, Captain Arthur Phillip landed at Sydney Cove. In your opinion should January 26 be known as Australia Day or Invasion Day?

actually found only 27% of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander respondents wanted the day known as "Invasion Day".

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8621-roy-morgan-survey-australia-day-january-25-2021-202101250620
a poll of 1200 people, no mention of how many were Indigenous.

and that poll wasnt asking whether the Australia Day public holiday should be on Jan 26.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think that would only be true for a very small minority. I don't think many of those opposing the change actively dislike indigenous people. It's unlikely they even know any or have spoken to any of Australia's indigenous. They just get fed *smile* about indigenous being lazy no hopers/dole bludgers/benefit bludgers etc. I don't think they are opposed to indigenous having a win as you say, more opposed to the method. They think they get given advantages they themselves don't get. They listen to Pauline say why don't the indigenous just get over it (the "invasion") and get a job etc. They have little empathy for the circumstances of many indigenous. All they think is that they are going to lose something (their Australianism?) that they probably couldn't even describe if things change.

Things are changing, small steps such as the national anthem change. Australia day will be next. Kids are far more educated about the real history now. But I think the methods of the left also need to change. They need to listen as well. Dialogue/communication is the only way forward. Violent protesting gets us nowhere.

Personally I think Cook and his crew should be celebrated as great daring adventurers/navigators. We can't turn back the clock nor change the truth of what happened. As long as we tell the story factually, warts and all, the future will be better for all.
agree with all that.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Australia Day needs to stay on the 26th January!
On the 26th January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted.
This was the day we were no longer considered British subjects and were permitted to travel with passports as Australians!
So it was at this point in our nations history that the Indigenous population also automatically became Australian citizens.
Therefore, 26th January was NOT the day the first fleet arrived. On the contrary it is a day which symbolises unity because it heralded the beginning of our national identity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users