Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Australia Day needs to stay on the 26th January!
On the 26th January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted.
This was the day we were no longer considered British subjects and were permitted to travel with passports as Australians!
So it was at this point in our nations history that the Indigenous population also automatically became Australian citizens.
Therefore, 26th January was NOT the day the first fleet arrived. On the contrary it is a day which symbolises unity because it heralded the beginning of our national identity.
The issue is Space our national identity was in part founded 40000 years ago.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Personally I think Cook and his crew should be celebrated as great daring adventurers/navigators. We can't turn back the clock nor change the truth of what happened. As long as we tell the story factually, warts and all, the future will be better for all.
Cook was long dead when the First Fleet arrived and had nothing to do with events of January 26. Just another target.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We have to be bigger people. The 26th is historically a terrible day for many people and it has virtually no tradition anyway. It was created in the 94.

Move it and have everyone celebrate. Why is this so hard?
Used to always be the last Monday of January. My mum said it was called ANA weekend, which was a big financial institution. I think it was Howard said it had to be the 26th regardless of the day of the week it fell on.

Yeah, Australia Day meant nothing when I was a kid it is all just confected nationalism. Australians used to be very bad at nationalism and patriotism, it was a much nicer country without all that crap.

No idea why us white fellas want to celebrate the day that a pile of out forebears were sent to the end of the Earth for stealing a loaf of bread so they didn't starve, seems a bit weird to me.

DS

PS: ANA is the Australian Natives Association, they were born here but not indigenous, more confected nationalism.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Cook was long dead when the First Fleet arrived and had nothing to do with events of January 26. Just another target.
I wasn't specifically equating Cook and Australia day. I get annoyed with the left interpreting and judging historical characters such as Cook through a modern lens. He is part of the history of the country, just as those indigenous who lived here 40000 years ago are part of the history. The more we learn about the complete history the better off we will all be. .

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Australia as a nation can't escape its imperial past, hence moving the date of Australia Day won't appease the people that call it invasion day, (the number of which seems to increase every year). Attempts to unify are ultimately futile. What Australian's need is to recognise that this is an issue of sovereignty. What we need are procedures of succession so people can break away from a political union they deem unfit to serve them.

Why did you bother to write this? Adds nothing but I guess it strokes your ego.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Australia Day needs to stay on the 26th January!
On the 26th January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted.
This was the day we were no longer considered British subjects and were permitted to travel with passports as Australians!
So it was at this point in our nations history that the Indigenous population also automatically became Australian citizens.
Therefore, 26th January was NOT the day the first fleet arrived. On the contrary it is a day which symbolises unity because it heralded the beginning of our national identity.
I love how everyone's regurgitating this facebook post claiming something none of them had ever heard of.

Except that's not why Australia Day was the 26th. It has been the 26th since the 1930s. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted on January 26, 1949 to coincide with the already existing Australia Day.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I love how everyone's regurgitating this facebook post claiming something none of them had ever heard of.

Except that's not why Australia Day was the 26th. It has been the 26th since the 1930s. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted on January 26, 1949 to coincide with the already existing Australia Day.
It has had a chequered history but actually became Australia's first public holiday on the 50th anniversary of the landing in 1838.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It has had a chequered history but actually became Australia's first public holiday on the 50th anniversary of the landing in 1838.
It was adopted by all the States in 1935, I think. Regardless, the claim it's because of the citizenship act is arse-backwards and disingenuous. It's so they can call people unAustralian if they want to change it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It was adopted by all the States in 1935, I think. Regardless, the claim it's because of the citizenship act is arse-backwards and disingenuous. It's so they can call people unAustralian if they want to change it.
Well there were no other states in 1838.

Yeah, the Citizenship Act was timed to come into effect on Jan 26 because of the date's historical significance.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is not true for indigenous Australians. Even the referendum of 1967 did not give automatic full Australian citizenship to indigenous Australians in the sense that it did not give them the right to vote in federal elections unless they had that right in the state they lived in. In WA for instance aboriginal people could not vote unless they renounced their aboriginal heritage ( their aboriginality).
Indigenous Australians were not given the full voting rights federally as citizens of Australia until the early 1980s when it was made compulsory for them as well.
The full Australian nationality was bestowed on everyone in 1949 as long as you weren’t a black fella.
Doesn’t seem like something to celebrate to me.

Reactions: 3 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Why did you bother to write this? Adds nothing but I guess it strokes your ego.
I understand the perspective Giardiasis is coming from. This is a very complex and multi-faceted issue,

Last edited:

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I wasn't specifically equating Cook and Australia day. I get annoyed with the left interpreting and judging historical characters such as Cook through a modern lens. He is part of the history of the country, just as those indigenous who lived here 40000 years ago are part of the history. The more we learn about the complete history the better off we will all be. .

It beats me why You keep referring the "The Left" being the ones pushing for change. I know many people of ALL political persuasions who are wanting the date to be changed.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It beats me why You keep referring the "The Left" being the ones pushing for change. I know many people of ALL political persuasions who are wanting the date to be changed.
You may not like it but this is clearly an issue that follows political demographics.

gzEx7mU.jpg

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It beats me why You keep referring the "The Left" being the ones pushing for change.
It beats me how you came up with that. Please quote my posts stating that.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It would come as no surprise to anyone that I support changing the date. Australia Day is supposed to be all inclusive. As it stands, it is not all inclusive. It’s that simple really.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It would come as no surprise to anyone that I support changing the date. Australia Day is supposed to be all inclusive. As it stands, it is not all inclusive. It’s that simple really.
Agree.

I have no problem with the date being changed, Australia didn't come to a standstill when Ayres Rock was changed to Uluru.

Reactions: 2 users

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
I know indigenous Australians have been polled (to some extent) on ‘26th Jan keep or change’ but has there ever been serious research into what actual date indigenous Australians would like for Australia day, if in fact they even care at all about such a concept? Anyone know?