Avanti! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Avanti!

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
OK here goes. Maybe if some of us less recent members will contribute others will follow:
Teacher, retired early, mid 50s. Single (lost my partner in my 20s and haven't found another soulmate), happy with my lot in life.
Family history says my first word was"tiger". (I still have my tiger towel my aunt gave me for my 10th birthday)
Played cricket and hockey at school.
Coached the cricket side and supervised footy, soccer and basketball teams as a teacher.
Love to read, enjoy retail therapy, movies, learning (anything but especially history), practise Tai Chi, get out in the garden/the wide world.
Music is a passion, Classical and Opera in particular, I subscribe to both and attend regularly. But I like any music with a decent melody line.
Am permitted to share my house with a Siamese (Tosca) and a Burmese (Brego).
Oh and my favourite book is ....Lord of the Rings :doh

Good grief how staid I am :angel:.
But I was a bit of a  >:D once.
Mae govannen.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Hey Anduril, I couldn't resist your invitation. "Avanti!" Was there a movie with...Juliet Mills?

Are you a batter or a bowler? Keeper or all-rounder?

Classical, eh? You really should drop by the Music thread. Phantom and I were the only two with Abalone's Greatest Hits. ;D It could do with a bitter culcha. :spin

What kind of teacher are you- good, bad or English?   :-X

Anduril said:
Am permitted to share my house with a Siamese (Tosca) and a Burmese (Brego).
Good grief how staid I am :angel:.

BTW I don't think you're so staid, sharing the house with those two exotic guys. And there are laws against racial discrimination in this land. I hardly think your landmajesty is doing anyone any favours.

I'm glad your first word was "tiger". We're gonna kick some arse this year. (Not much but some. :hihi)

frahlee

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2004
MELBOURNE
Nice to meet you Anduril. Have enjoyed your many posts . Enjoying another female perspective on our great club. Look forward to discussing our many successes this season (can't blame a girl for dreamin' now can you?).

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Dyer, not sure about the film "Avanti".... I studied Italian for about 3 years part time and it seemed the best way to begin.
I was a bowler who managed to spin it a little.... pre Warnie.
Taught from Prep to Year 6, mainly Year 6, which meant all core subjects, (also  Italian when they couldn't find a native speaker). :p
I did wander over to the music thread once or twice but it was all greek to me :help
Glad you approve of my housemates (my last Burmese, KB, died last year :'()

Got my Gandalf Cup tickets today, have talked a former boss into joining up again. As long as we look like kicking some ass I'll be happy. Am sick of this lie down and roll over attitude.

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
Thanks for sharing, Anduril. You are one of the many that keep PRE so addictive when footy news is rare and rank.
I am currently studying Italian at school and might (just might) be going to Italy for a couple of weeks this year. :D
I've never flewn before, though. :-\

Are you of Italian descent?

Happy posting! :D
Curtis

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Na taa saesa omentien lle, Anduril.

I agree with Dyer, I don't think you sound staid at all. I've enjoyed reading your posts, especially the ones where you've squeezed in little LOTR references.

I'm a big fan of Burmese pookies too and love the name you've given to yours.

And you have to get credit for the naming of the Gandalf Cup. It's really caught on.  ;D

Quel marth, Anduril, aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle.  :)

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Where did you learn to speak elvish Disco? Mine is v v limited. (I need an Elvish dictionary :-[)

Are you going to start a topic here too? ;)

Curtis, no, no Italian in me at all. Good old Celtic/Oz. ( I got sick of not understanding what they were singing when I went to the Opera, so took myself off to night school). You're lucky, it's probably the easiest language to learn and you will love flying ('specially the take off and landing). As for Italy...bellisimo

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Anduril, I can't really 'speak' Elvish, I've just picked up alot of the words from reading so much Tolkien. The last phrase is my favourite, did you figure out what it means?

You should be able to translate most elvish if you just type or copy it in into google. There's quite a few sites that give translations.

As for starting my own thread, I don't know, maybe........

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Anduril, I can't really 'speak' Elvish, I've just picked up alot of the words from reading so much Tolkien. The last phrase is my favourite, did you figure out what it means?

You should be able to translate most elvish if you just type or copy it in into google. There's quite a few sites that give translations.

As for starting my own thread, I don't know, maybe........

Go on, be a devil >:D

Will check out google for elvish. Never thought of doing it that way, :doh thanks.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
Thanks Anduril, A sane head in a sometime insane PRE world :p

I can't speak italian, but I can eat it ;D

And besides another old bird :clap (oops can I say that, I only mean that in the nicest possible way) :hearton

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Yeah, she's one in a million - which is better than being won in a raffle! :-X [in place of an emoticon with a black eye!]

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005
Hi Anduril, love reading your posts. LOTR is dear to me as my wife read it to me whilst we were getting to know eachother, so references to it are great. We has several copies from over the years lying around. I was given the Hobbit at a very early age but never read it :( how I wish now that I had. The kids all read fantasy novels, and are devouring books every week, I think we should have bought shares in Borders. At the moment we are all waiting for the next Harry Potter book, my wife was reading them years before they were popular. The last one was released on our wedding day, I think it was a bit of a toss up between me and the book, I won :hearton

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Hope you let her catch up with the boy wizard on your honeymoon :cutelaugh!
Love to hear kids devouring books. Always told mine (classes that is)I didn't care what they were reading as long as they were reading.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005
LOL  ;D      No Comment :-X

Yeah Jacob wouldnt read at all last year and now he cant put them down, the 7 yo is reading 70 odd pages in a flash too, although watching them on the internet to their friends none of them can spell.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Anduril said:
Hope you let her catch up with the boy wizard on your honeymoon :cutelaugh!
Love to hear kids devouring books. Always told mine (classes that is)I didn't care what they were reading as long as they were reading.

What a great teacher you are or were Anduril. Excellent advice. I get really sad when I hear young children being unable to express themselves lucidly. Right down through the annals of time, reading and therefore learning has been the best way to educate oneself. Hope other teachers are following your lead. Must help also in the art of the written word as well. Tolkien had the gift of expression, but must admit to no knowledge of the Elvish language.